Why do all the ad-breaks coincide

PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
Forum Member
✭✭
During an ad-break if you try to flip to any other commercial station to see what's on, the other stations are also having their ad-breaks.

Is there some sort of agreement reached between all the commercial stations to have all ad-breaks at the same times .

Comments

• petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paace wrote: »
    Is there some sort of agreement reached between all the commercial stations to have all ad-breaks at the same times .
    I'm not sure it's the broadcasters who choose, but there does seem to be collusion between the programme makers to standardise on a common format and to write the script to get breaks at common times.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channels would prefer ad breaks to coincide, as if viewers swop channels to avoid averts, if there is no ad on the next channel, they might stay on that one and not change back.
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know on Virgin and I would imagine Sky, if you flick to the +1 channel of the same channel there is no ad break. I have done it.
  • steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    During an ad-break if you try to flip to any other commercial station to see what's on, the other stations are also having their ad-breaks.

What bugs me is im watching GOLD they go to a ad break when they come back I flip over to another station and then 5 seconds later ad breaks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Surely it's because the programmes on a channel that has adverts are usually the same length, either 30 or 60 minutes usually and the adverts are spaced out evenly in the program so if two programmes start at the same time on two different channels then the adverts will be on at the same time.
  • the dourflathe dourfla Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely it's because the programmes on a channel that has adverts are usually the same length, either 30 or 60 minutes usually and the adverts are spaced out evenly in the program so if two programmes start at the same time on two different channels then the adverts will be on at the same time.

1st sensible reply.
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think there is some truth in what you say but they can't take a break say exactly after 15 mins. They usually stop for ads when there is a natural break in a quiz or story.
  • dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually switch to any BBC channel during ad breaks to escape them,then after about three or four mins turn back to the channel I'm watching.This only works when the zapper is close at hand,as I'm not too mobile these days.
  • malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    I think there is some truth in what you say but they can't take a break say exactly after 15 mins. They usually stop for ads when there is a natural break in a quiz or story.

Think the natural break in the story applies to some like first run ITV drama,

However not always the case as on Five they seem to have fixed times for the breaks, as you see the jumps in the show where there was obviously a break in the US and they don't always coincide.