Anyone order an iPad Mini?

BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
Forum Member
✭✭
Was going to go with the Nexus 7... but now much preferring the new Mini ....or maybe iPad 4.

Comments

• VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read it's sold out online already. The cynical part of me thinks they want huge excitable queues outside their shops! :D
  • JDBabyJDBaby Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    If it had been under £200, I might well have done, but it is just to expensive compared to the competition.
  • m4tt24m4tt24 Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    I read it's sold out online already. The cynical part of me thinks they want huge excitable queues outside their shops! :D

It's because of way Apple produce and distribute stock I read somewhere. They only ever have a maximum of 6/7 days stock. Wether they stick to that for a release and don't stockpile for a release I'm not to sure but it's easy to create a shortage very quickly
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently they had 10 million ipad mini's ready.
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was going to go with the Nexus 7... but now much preferring the new Mini ....or maybe iPad 4.
    You prefer an overpriced and technically inferior product, or is it just that shiny bitten fruit symbol on the back?
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    DJGM wrote: »
    You prefer an overpriced and technically inferior product, or is it just that shiny bitten fruit symbol on the back?

Maybe they prefer the OS? Or have apps they use that are not available on Android?
  • 5 a day5 a day Posts: 12,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've ordered a Mini.

I started with the iPhone years back. Loved the OS, simplicity and design. I've really wanted to like Android - I bought an HTC Desire and the Nexus 7, but sold them both within a couple of months - but I just can't take to it after using iOS. I'll try again in a couple of years...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    If I were to buy a tablet, it would be the one with fruit on the back.

Yes I would probably be paying more for not much difference in terms of technical specs, but the simplicity in having it work with my other devices (phone, laptop, tv setup) would far outweigh the price. But that is a decision I made when buying the first of those products, an iBook, 2nd generation 12 years ago.

I use a PC at work, but prefer OSX to windows, and ultimately that would be what I was paying for...
  • pepstarpepstar Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I ordered one, then cancelled the order because they put a delivery time to the 16th nov, even though i ordered it in the first 5 mins, apple told me it was because i ordered the case at the same time... even though it didnt inform me on the site.

So i've now cancelled the order, and will buy from PC World at some point, mind you my eyes are wondering now to other non-apple products.
  • DimsieDimsie Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've ordered one, but won't get it until the end of Nov. I've a MacBook Pro and an iPad 2 and they both work well for what I use them for, so it makes sense for me to get a Mini if I want a smaller tablet. I did wonder if i should consider trying one of the other makes, but read so much conflicting advice and opinion on them that I ended up thoroughly confused. At least with Apple I know what I'm getting, more or less.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dimsie wrote: »
    I've ordered one, but won't get it until the end of Nov. I've a MacBook Pro and an iPad 2 and they both work well for what I use them for, so it makes sense for me to get a Mini if I want a smaller tablet.

Out of interest are you planning on keeping the ipad 2 as well as the mini? I'm the other way I've got a 7" tablet, and wondering if there's any real need for a 10" tablet alongside it.

How do you see the two working?
  • DimsieDimsie Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Out of interest are you planning on keeping the ipad 2 as well as the mini? I'm the other way I've got a 7" tablet, and wondering if there's any real need for a 10" tablet alongside it.

How do you see the two working?
    Yes, I'm keeping the iPad 2 and think I'll probably still be using it for most things when at home. I really only want the Mini for when I'm out and about; as much as I like the bigger one I find it too bulky and heavy (in a case) for carrying around. The Mini should fit in a handbag so that's a plus point for me, as is the better camera. And I can see myself using it a lot for reading, as I don't have a Kindle.
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,594
    Forum Member
    I ordered one, to be delivered Friday.

I had a Nexus 7 which I hated, I just hope the Mini keeps the usability of the 9.7" iPad once shrunk down. I really hated the fiddle small keypad and lack of precision for text input and editing on the Nexus.

If text input and editing on the Mini matches the big iPad, it's well worth the extra cost.

Will also be keeping my big iPad for home use.
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    I have a 4th gen iPod Touch, an Android phone (Huawei G300 Ascend, very, very good for the £99 it cost) which can use Flash i.e. BBC iPlayer (some, including my previous Samsung Ace, can't), an 11in Lenovo Thinkpad, a MacBook and a MacBook Pro: I don't need either an iPad Mini or a Google Nexus 7. Not that I wouldn't have either, but really can't justify it at all. Anyone care to change my mind? I won't put up any resistance, but as it stands an iPad Mini or an Android alternative would be nothing but a vanity purchase.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @pfgpowell, only if you want a bigger screen on the move. Ipad mini is a touch with a bigger screen, Nexus 7 is the equivalent for Android.

If you don't have e.g. regular train time on in your daily routine, or other long times when you're away from your desk/home, probably not.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    I'm going to have a look at one - but I'm not ordering one until I see how the screen looks.

There are some who say that the lack of a retina screen (if you're used to it) may be troublesome.
  • c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    I'm going to have a look at one - but I'm not ordering one until I see how the screen looks.

There are some who say that the lack of a retina screen (if you're used to it) may be troublesome.

Troublesome, how?
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    If I were to buy a tablet, it would be the one with fruit on the back.

Yes I would probably be paying more for not much difference in terms of technical specs, but the simplicity in having it work with my other devices (phone, laptop, tv setup) would far outweigh the price. But that is a decision I made when buying the first of those products, an iBook, 2nd generation 12 years ago.

I use a PC at work, but prefer OSX to windows, and ultimately that would be what I was paying for...

BIB - dont kid yourself. The biggest part of a tablet is the screen. You are buying an inferior screen compared to the kindle or nexus. Then you dont have GPS or NFC either.

Since you have other apple devices, then it seems as though you are stuck with buying other apple products, as they will work best with your current configuration.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Dan Sette wrote: »

I think it would be a problem, how much of a problem would depend onthe person. If you are used to a very nice screen like the ipad3 has, then going backwards to an ipad mini will make that screen look rubbish in comparison. If you can live with that, then there will be no problem. Its a bit like going from a 40" colour HD tv to a 16" portable tv. You cant really compare the screens.