BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• PastificioPastificio Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Never understood why they bother with a webcam on the 5live website during (without doubt the smuggest presenter on radio ) Victoria Derbyshires programme, as she gets to Salford once in a blue moon and even then only as a token gesture and out of sufferance to stop the rest of the presenters getting on her case.God knows how she gets away with it and being paid over £200,000 a year an all.She obviously has a nice cosy arrangement with controller AVK.Derbyshire is so obviously up her self that she feels she can get away with anything.If I'm not mistaken I think I read it was her who got the BBC Points of View Radio Message Board closed down, as she couldn't handle all the stick she was getting.

Agree. Clearly her show is some kind of box-ticking exercise as part of a greater 'human interest' agenda... no thanks, BBC.

She must have lost listeners by the bucket-load, however, I"m guessing that those in charge won't admit their mistakes.

Can't believe I find now myself listening to Ken Bruce and his toe-curlingly awful jokes.
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good god Derbyshire somehow and laughingly got the award for the latest Sony Broadcaster of the Year when all she does is read from a prepared script written for her by her researchers.Her stilted delivery gives it all away.Give me her predecessor, Fi Glover, any time.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I see Vic is getting stick, but on the plus side she did go to the same school as me.................:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salford 5live webcam working well but no sign of the elusive Derbyshire...............again.In fact no sign of anyone in the studio.Why do they bother ?
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Derbyshire is the one who has turned Radio 5 into a cross between OK Magazine and Channel 5. It's awful radio, her screeching voice just makes me turn off. Even Talksport is better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derbyshire is the one who has turned Radio 5 into a cross between OK Magazine and Channel 5. It's awful radio, her screeching voice just makes me turn off. Even Talksport is better.

Dire tabloid radio. The BBC can do better than this surely ?
  • deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salford 5live webcam working well but no sign of the elusive Derbyshire...............again.In fact no sign of anyone in the studio.Why do they bother ?

What a huge waste of money moving was. No-one is ever in there. Sheila Foghorn is still going down to Westminster every Wednesday as well. She doesn't need to be there if Jon Pienaar is.
  • The Magic MonkeyThe Magic Monkey Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the time the presenter is in Salford. You have be be real, as a national station will always do OBs etc

The progs we know that are presented remotly are

Rod on Up All Night. (12 hrs a week)

Derbyshire a couple of days a week (4 hours)

Shelia for 2 hours a week in parliament, but I will discount this as the wed pmq prog has ALWAYS come from parliament

Sport again has always and often been presented from the grounds, so again I am discounting all sport.

So lets be generous, and add a few hours for good measure and say that 24 hours out of 168 hours in a week are presented away from salford.

That's about 12%, at a push. For a 24 hour a day, 7 day a week LIVE network, that's pretty good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Shelia for 2 hours a week in parliament, but I will discount this as the wed pmq prog has ALWAYS come from parliament

That's about 12%, at a push. For a 24 hour a day, 7 day a week LIVE network, that's pretty good.

Rhod Sharp and his Up All Night programme is broadcast from Boston,USA 3 nights a week where he lives and given Derbyshire hasn't broadcast from Salford for many weeks ( if not months )as she has more important engagements like appearing on ITV's Daybreak than taking the time to travel to Manchester.........then your figures don't stack up.
  • radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the time the presenter is in Salford. You have be be real, as a national station will always do OBs etc

Sport again has always and often been presented from the grounds, so again I am discounting all sport.

So lets be generous, and add a few hours for good measure and say that 24 hours out of 168 hours in a week are presented away from salford.

Danny Baker as well, as said not to mention VD. I'm not am BBC basher but i don't think I've ever seen VD in the salford studios.
  • ComputerComputer Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kermode and Mayo also come from London for 2 hours a week.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member

Up All night often has a significant input from the US, so having Rhod broadcast from the states makes sense. Dotun usually has a link up with New York as well.

Radio 5 was moved to Salford and the presenters had a choice, go or leave, Derbyshire should have left if she didn't want to go to Manchester.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never understand why Nolan flies to Manchester and stays in hotels for his weekend show. Does he get that on expenses?

Wouldn't it be cheaper to do it from the BBC studios in Belfast?

Rhod Sharp broadcasting from his own home in Marblehead, demonstrates how you can do a show from anywhere.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    Never understand why Nolan flies to Manchester and stays in hotels for his weekend show. Does he get that on expenses?

I don't think he does.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »

Wouldn't it be cheaper to do it from the BBC studios in Belfast?

Rhod Sharp broadcasting from his own home in Marblehead, demonstrates how you can do a show from anywhere.

I hadn't realised that he does but does make sense in that time zone.... i guess the same for Dotun...there are other cities and time zones to NYC
    but for some reason that gabby cabby is always on and must have made a bomb out of broadcasts on uk radio i guess he doesn't bother driving a cab anymore he used to be on talk radio before also

as for Nolan Derek _
    his expenses are fogged and hidden so even though he probably/allegedly does despite the fact we pay for it we don't know for certain even though it's Public service broadcasting......
    do you think he pays for all that out of his wages - weekly flights and hotels? would you?

they allege it's cheaper for him to broadcast from salford than set up recording there? :confused: don't know how when they have a studio there?

of course obviously far cheaper would be just to have someone who lives in the region to present it in the first place.... other presenters are available as they say..... ;)

and you're right deivu74 IMO no need for fogarty to travel at all when pienaar is there....

and Rodney McKay you are also right IMO if the radio moved she should have gone too...course even more relocation expenses then to pay for 2 places......

on the plus side....

didn't mind what I heard of bacon this afternoon on TV reviews and on food before that - light subjects but OK

didn't hear breakfast much so can't comment on that today.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh and note to Stephen Nolan's producers and in fact all BBC please please please stop booking Owen ~^>## Jones ....

he's everywhere.... Question Time, This Week and every week on Nolan..... he's tiresome and don't know why he's suddenly popped up as the voice of the left and on every media.....

maybe as Medhi hassan seems to have been dropped maybe because of his tirades that have been recorded he got too controversial so they needed an anti-Peter Hitchens but please.....it's like watching the political bore in the student union bar sound off on things he knows little about....:yawn::yawn:
  • Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh Victoria we do love bashing her do we not?

Awards(more than one by the way) mean only that the Sony Judges are useless.

I'll put my two peneteh in. If she is as dire as some here believe this would have been reflected in the audience figures. Now we don't know cos the BBC does not tell us what size of listenership she has but my guess is that if the figures are bad she would have walked the plank by now.

It was interesting reading someone suggesting talking to victims of crime (and of course rape is a crime) is somehow pursuing a Left Wing Agenda. Considering that most complaints from Right Wing Mates of mine claim that the BBC focuses too much on the criminal and not the victim this is a classic heads I win tails you lose argument.

In any case her critics ignore her chairing the debates during the General Election and at this year's party conferences.

As for complaints about her private life when critics here start having a go at some of the male presenters domestic arrangements I'll sit up and listen.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    I hadn't realised that he does but does make sense in that time zone.... i guess the same for Dotun...there are other cities and time zones to NYC
    but for some reason that gabby cabby is always on and must have made a bomb out of broadcasts on uk radio i guess he doesn't bother driving a cab anymore he used to be on talk radio before also
    The gabby cabby hasn't been on UAN for something like 2 or 3 years. Unless he's back, I wouldn't know as I no longer listen to UAN when Dotun is presenting.
  • LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,556
    Forum Member
    I am normally very critical of Dotun but I was impressed by the way he hosted the weekend edition devoted to the shooting tragedy in Connecticut.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    The gabby cabby hasn't been on UAN for something like 2 or 3 years. Unless he's back, I wouldn't know as I no longer listen to UAN when Dotun is presenting.

i don't listen often either very much at all but i'm sure he's been on within past year a few times as heard it being announced on handover when i have been up....

i don't mind him really (wouldn't listen to the all night football thing as don't like soccer) but quite like virtual jukebox and as he's a biker I sort of like to root for him and hope he'd do a few bike related articles on sport or lifestyle/travel etc.

glad he covered horror of connecticut ok though ....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh lord just switched livesey on & its "team talk" just drivel about football again really with 3 pundits as we don't get enough of talk about football on there...thought after Olympics there really would be more room given to other sport but they very quickly fell back into type...it won't change its about as likely as USA banning all weapons - though I'd gladly put up with football drivel if there was any chance guns would be banned outright & that devastation didn't happen
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    Oh Victoria we do love bashing her do we not?

As for complaints about her private life when critics here start having a go at some of the male presenters domestic arrangements I'll sit up and listen.

Well I hope you have the evidence to back this up ? There are libel laws in this country.

Come on then spill the beans, I am sure we would all like to know about the male presenters domestic arrangements ?

Oh and btw .......Vicky never managed to get to Salford again today.
  • franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My problem with the Derbyshire programme is just it's so blooming depressing. I'm not saying everything should be 'light news' and there's no room for discussion of difficult topics, but the bits I hear are the same interviews with people who have suffered from tragic circumstances that I don't understand how they make interesting or entertaining radio. They must be targeted as the same people who buy the books written about major crimes just after the event.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    franchise wrote: »
    My problem with the Derbyshire programme is just it's so blooming depressing. I'm not saying everything should be 'light news' and there's no room for discussion of difficult topics, but the bits I hear are the same interviews with people who have suffered from tragic circumstances that I don't understand how they make interesting or entertaining radio. They must be targeted as the same people who buy the books written about major crimes just after the event.

Derbyshire has made a whole career for herself that revolves around exploiting other peoples bad situations.A pretty disgusting way to earn a living I'd say.

Nolan does it as well.Jeremy Kyle has nothing on these two.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adrian van Klaveren has been shown the door, apparently. Hope the new controller gives this station an almighty shake up.

Jonathan Wall (Deputy Editor & Commissioning Editor) is acting controller until a replacement is found.
This discussion has been closed.