213 in 2013

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OxfordGirl wrote: »
    96) The Shoestring Club - Sarah Webb

Oh what was that like? A couple of people have sent me that as a rec on goodreads.
  • OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Oh what was that like? A couple of people have sent me that as a rec on goodreads.

Not too bad - took a while to get into it but I ended up being fond of the family - gran, son-in-law, 2 grown up daughters of the son in law and one of their children

Annoying bit was the main character trying to get over a boyfriend who was such a t****r that you wanted to give her a good shake!
  • SWW (SWW)SWW (SWW) Posts: 23,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SWW (SWW) wrote: »
    <snip>
    82. The Cut - George Pelecanos 8/10
    Orion Books (Hachette UK), 292 pages
    <Crime> Another succulent slice of Washington DC pie by Pelecanos. A 'grey area' investigator is hired to recover stolen packages and ends up caught in the crossfires of a number of petty and bigger crime conspiracies.

83. The New Teen Titans 1984-85 - Marv Wolfman 4/10
    D C Comics, 399 pages
    <Graphic Novel> The New Teen Titans volume two #1-15 and Annual #1. Although printed on better paper, definitely a drop in storytelling quality. Includes the return of Trigon / fall of Raven arc.

84. Tank Girl - Jamie Hewlett & Alan Martin 3/10
    Dark Horse Comics, 245 pages
    <Graphic Novel> The original Tank Girl series volumes 1-2 (four issues per volume)
    85. Tank Girl The Movie - Peter Milligan 3/10
    Penguin Books, 66 pages
    <Graphic Novel> Milligan's take on Tank Girl's origin and troubles with Water & Power.

86. Insufferable volume one - Mark Waid, Peter Krause etc 7/10
    Thrillbent, 531 pages
    <Digitial graphic novel> Insufferable #1-34. Waid's latest project sees an online digital-only book centred round an aging hero, Nocturnus, and his e-commerce money making son, Kid Galahad. Quite good.

87. Made In Brighton - Julie Burchill and Daniel Raven 6/10
    Virgin Books, 183 pages
    <Historical Commentary> … 'From the Grand to the Gutter: Modern Britain as seen beside the sea'. Admittedly I like what Burchill often has to say… this book looks at the changing face of Britain from the viewpoint of Brighton (aka as London On Sea), with an interweaving of personal stories and experiences with greater themes / commentaries on class, sex, politics both local and national, music and the ensuing changes over the last quarter of a century.

88. Home To Harlem - Claude McKay 5/10
    Black Classic (X Press), 236 pages
    <Modern Classic> Published in 1928, this is the tale of a disgruntled Afro-American soldier going AWOL in France and then London, but who feels drawn to the chaotic urban life of Harlem, to which he eventually returns. Very interesting read, and take on the alienation and frustrations caused by social intimidation and implied inferiority.

89. Evil Under The Sun - Agatha Christie 6/10
    Harper (HarperCollins), 320 pages
    <Modern Classic> The twenty third Poirot case is a clever tale by Christie innocuously tied to the case title 'Evil Under The Sun'. A group of people in a luxury hotel consumed with the sexual tension generated by the man-magnet and actress Mrs Arlena Marshall… become suspects to a murder where the police seem to find cast iron alibis for everyone... of course Poirot sees it all another way. Good case.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    141 - Terry Pratchett - Discworld 18 - Maskerade
    142 - Paul Shaffer and David Ritz - We'll Be Here for the Rest of Our Lives: A Swingin' Showbiz Saga
    143 - Terry Pratchett - Discworld 20 - Hogfather
    144 - Harold Schechter - Bestial: The Savage Trail of a True American Monster
    145 - Cherie Noel - By Any Other Name
    146 - Tara Kelly - Amplified
    147 - Michael D. Sellers - John Carter and the Gods of Hollywood
    148 - Andy Lane - Young Sherlock Holmes 01 - Death Cloud
    149 - Andy Lane - Young Sherlock Holmes 02 - Red Leech
    150 - David Reichert - Chasing the Devil: My Twenty-Year Quest to Capture the Green River Killer
    151 - Teegan Loy - Frozen Hearts
    152 - Anthology - Emergency Servicing
    153 - Caroline B. Cooney - Janie Johnson 01 - The Face On The Milk Carton
    154 - Caroline B. Cooney - Janie Johnson 02 - Whatever Happened To Janie?
    155 - Caroline B. Cooney - Janie Johnson 03 - The Voice On The Radio
    156 - Gemma Halliday - High Heels Mystery 01 - Spying in High Heels
    157 - Gemma Halliday - High Heels Mystery 02 - Killer in High Heels
    158 - Gemma Halliday - High Heels Mystery 03 - Undercover in High Heels
    159 - Gemma Halliday - High Heels Mystery 04 - Alibi in High Heels
    160 - Heidi Cullinan and Marie Sexton - Second Hand
    161 - Steve Martin - The Ten, Make That Nine, Habits of Very Organized People - Make That Ten: The Tweets of Steve Martin
    162 - Terry Pratchett - Discworld 16 - Soul Music
    163 - KyAnn Waters - Weekend Boyfriend
    164 - Sloan Parker - Take Me Home
    165 - Vanessa Diffenbaugh - The Language of Flowers
    166 - Julie Hyzy - White House Chef Mysteries 01 - State of the Onion
    167 - Julie Hyzy - White House Chef Mysteries 02 - Hail to the Chef
    168 - Julie Hyzy - White House Chef Mysteries 03 - Eggsecutive Orders
    169 - Julie Hyzy - White House Chef Mysteries 04 - Buffalo West Wing
    170 - Jenny Nimmo - Children Of The Red King 02 - The Time Twister
  • Wayne814Wayne814 Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 - Private Berlin by James Patterson & Mark Sullivan
    2 - 12th of Never by James Patterson & Maxine Paetro
    3 - Hitman: My Real Life in the Wold of Cartoon Wrestling by Bret Hart
    4 - Doctor Who: An Unearthly Child by Terrance Dicks
    5 - Doctor Who and the Daleks by David Whitaker
    6 - Doctor Who: Timewyrm: Genesis by John Peel
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    97) Girl 99 - Andy P Jones
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    19.The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick (17th- 22nd March) – I really enjoyed the film so I decided to get the novel and see how it measured up. I really liked it and saw many similarities with The Perks of Being a Wallflower, another novel and film I really enjoyed. There were elements of the novel I preferred over the film, and vice versa, but overall, a good read and a good film.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    153 - Caroline B. Cooney - Janie Johnson 01 - The Face On The Milk Carton
    154 - Caroline B. Cooney - Janie Johnson 02 - Whatever Happened To Janie?
    155 - Caroline B. Cooney - Janie Johnson 03 - The Voice On The Radio

Oh I so loved these when I was about 14! There's a really dodgy made-for-TV movie as well which is brilliantly cheesy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    20. True Things About Me by Deborah Kay Davies (22nd-23rd March) – This was billed as ‘The Bell Jar for the twenty-first century’ by somebody on the front cover, so I bought it. It certainly reads a little like Plath’s novel and it is about a mental female who behaves in an overtly sexual manner. I found it too far-fetched from reality though, and didn’t really enjoy it. Still, I’m ahead of my target now…
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    98) E is for Evidence - Sue Grafton
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    14. The Expats by Chris Pavone. An OK read. I think that the story would have benefitted from having been told in a linear way rather than jumping backwards and forwards in time. I wasn't convinced by Kate's character. A good denouement though.
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Revenga wrote: »
    21. Death Comes as the End - Agatha Christie
    22. The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
    23. Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins
    24. Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins
    25. Person - Sam Pink

26. Evil Under the Sun - Agatha Christie
    27. The Garden of Evening Mists - Twan Eng Tan
    28. The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov
    29. Mrs. Dalloway - Virginia Woolf
    30. The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky
  • jojo2008jojo2008 Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    8. The Death Sculptor- Chris Carter
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    99) The Psychic Tourist : A Voyage Into The Curious World Of Predicting The Future - William Little
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    100) Ice Hotel -Hanna Allen
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    68. Crash by Nicole Williams
    69. Clash by Nicole Williams
    70. Relentless by Cassia Leo
    71. Falling Into You by Jasinda Wilder
    72. Hard to Love by Kendall Ryan
    73. Suicide Note by Theresa Mummert
    74. Up in Flames by Nicole Williams
    75. Fissure by Nicole Williams
  • Katie-JaneKatie-Jane Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    13) Diamonds are Forever by Ian Fleming
  • __melissa__melissa Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    11. Not Dead Yet - Peter James
    12. Before I Go To Sleep - S.J. Watson
    13. Like Bees To Honey - Caroline Smailes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    21. Trapped by Michael Northrop (23rd-25th March) – a book about teenagers being trapped at school in the middle of a freak snowstorm (10ft+ drifts). It seemed timely and topical. There were bits I liked and bits which were tedious, and the ending was abrupt beyond belief. It was alright.
  • tinyangeltinyangel Posts: 1,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    11. The Host - Stephanie Meyer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    101) Singles' Holiday - Elaine Spires
  • SWW (SWW)SWW (SWW) Posts: 23,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SWW (SWW) wrote: »
    <snip>
    89. Evil Under The Sun - Agatha Christie 6/10
    Harper (HarperCollins), 320 pages
    <Modern Classic> The twenty third Poirot case is a clever tale by Christie innocuously tied to the case title 'Evil Under The Sun'. A group of people in a luxury hotel consumed with the sexual tension generated by the man-magnet and actress Mrs Arlena Marshall… become suspects to a murder where the police seem to find cast iron alibis for everyone... of course Poirot sees it all another way. Good case.

90. Dark Tower Books 10-11 - Stephen King, Robin Furth, Peter David, Laurence Campbell, Alex Maleev etc. 7/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 333 pages <Graphic Novel> Collecting The Way Station #1-5 and The Man In Black #1-5 sees Furth and cos wonderful adaptation of the first Dark Tower book, The Gunslinger.

91. First X-Men - Neal Adams and Christos Gage 6/10
    Marvel Entertainment Group, 105 pages <Graphic Novel> First X-Men #1-5, sees Neal Adams return to an X-Book and attempt to provide a prologue to Sentinels, Weapon X, Creed's hate for Logan and more, as Logan leads a campaign to halt the United States first attempt to curb the 'mutant problem' circa 1950s-60s.

92. Fever In The Blood - Val McDermid 7/10
    Sphere (Hachette UK), 500 pages <Crime> The sixth 'Wire In The Blood' book… as ever a gripping addictive read… Carol's team has to hunt a serial killer who grooms his child victims on a social network site; they also have a cold case and on top of all that the new chief deems profiler Tony Hill too expensive and a conflict of interests for Carol!

93. The New York Trilogy - Paul Auster 4/10
    Faber and Faber, 314 pages <Literary> Original published as three separate books - City Of Glass, Ghosts and The Locked Room are three post modernist variations of detective stories set in an hypnotic New York landscape.

94. The Girl In The Flammable Skirt - Aimee Bender 7/10
    Windmill Books (Random House), 184 pages <Short Stories> 16 almost magical realist / surreal very short stories. Bender is a great short story writer in that she gets you into the setting within the first page and keeps you interested 'til the last with her surreal characters and sometimes surreal worlds.

95. Grant Morrison's Animal Man - Grant Morrison, Chris Truog etc 8/10
    D C Comics, 651 pages <Graphic Novel> Animal Man #1-26, one of the most well known runs in comic books… another Grant Morrison masterpiece of groundbreaking storytelling.
  • HampshireHannahHampshireHannah Posts: 1,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    7. William Walker's First Year of Marriage: A Horror Story - Matt Rudd
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    171 - Michael Dane - Does This Taste Funny? A Half Baked Look At Food And Foodies
    172 - Dianne Hartsock - Nathaniel
    173 - Heidi Cullinan - Dirty Laundry
    174 - Richard Rushfield - American Idol: The Untold Story
    175 - Mike Dash - Tulipomania: The Story of the World's Most Coveted Flower and the Extraordinary Passions it Aroused
    176 - David King - Death in the City of Light: The Serial Killer of Nazi-Occupied Paris
    177 - Warwick Davis - Size Matters Not: The Extraordinary Life & Career of Warwick Davis
    178 - Lori A. Levesque - Diary Of A Dating Shit Magnet
    179 - Heidi Cullinan - Special Delivery
    180 - Darren Worrow - The Perminator
    181 - Dominic Stewart - An Italian Job: Two Days In The Life Of An Englishman In Italy
    182 - Heidi Cullinan - A Private Gentleman
    183 - Gesine Bullock-Prado - Confections of a Closet Master Baker: One Woman's Sweet Journey from Unhappy Hollywood Executive to Contented Country Baker
    184 - Danny Bee - Blinded Sight: Murder, Mayhem, Riot and Revolution: Ann Arbor in the 1960's
    185 - Harold Schechter - Fatal: The Poisonous Life Of A Female Serial Killer
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lost count on last post, so:

25. Our Holocaust, by Amir Gutfreund. Slow to start but once it got going this was an incredibly moving account of the holocaust. So much emotion of unspeakable events, but skilfully restrained. Admirable. 5/5

26. Austerity Britain, by David Kynaston. Timely, unfortunately so. 4/5