Old comics, worth much?

Comments

• Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Haven't read the whole thread, have you?

I had. Since the OP hadn't come back with an update, I thought i'd chance my arm. Thanks for blowing my cover though ;-)

How is selling on ebay/elsewhere going for everyone else? I used to have a fairly healthy sideline in selling off my old collection and re-investing in the most popular comics and selling on. But the market collapsed (for me at least) three years ago so I stopped. Recently sold off my last lot of comics that would have gone for about £600 back in the day for around £250.
  • Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are issues 607-610 of Marvel UK's Spider-Man (27th October - 17th November 1984) worth anything on the international market? They feature a story which was written exclusively for the UK.

http://starlogged.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/1984-spider-man-london-calling-marvel-uk.html
    http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix6/assassin8.htm

Interesting read. Funnily enough I'd stopped collecting comics by around '83 so never knew any of the above. This may give you some idea of the worth:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Four-Superb-UK-Spiderman-Comics-Weekly-Numbers-605-606-607-608-/171211630187?pt=UK_Books_Comics_Magazines_US_Comics_ET&hash=item27dd02266b

Make sure if you do sell them on the internet, that you play up the USP for all it's worth. Collectors may go for them, even if the aren't looking for them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any market for original run Teen Titans?

Yeah, I know; I was a teen at the time, in my defence..

Though there is that Playboy type cover on one of them.
  • trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my collection consists of about 600 uk marvel ,,,,,,, mostly from the 70's ,,,,,,,,,

spidey , hulk , savage sword of conan , master of kung fu etc ,,,,,, titans , amazing , stacks of avengers , etc

including issue 1 to 30 odd of the official hulk comic that came out to coincide with the lou ferigno tv series ,,,,,,,,,, plus a large fold out hulk poster book , which is comic 1 side , but when you unfold it , its a large poster of bill and lou transformation .

im under no illusion , im sure right now its worth next to fanny all ,,,,,,,,,,, but who knows in a few years etc

the only thing you can do (to not get ripped off by some unscrupulous dealer) , is to look individually for the numbers on ebay to see if anybody else is selling the same issues , it may give you some idea of what to ask etc ,,,,,,,,,,, or you can put em on for the max auction time allowed and let em go for whatever they fetch ,

the sad truth is though , in most cases you can make more on the postage lol
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trayhop123 wrote: »
    ...the only thing you can do (to not get ripped off by some unscrupulous dealer) , is to look individually for the numbers on ebay to see if anybody else is selling the same issues...

Or pick up a comic buyers guide and check off the numbers.

Or check on sites like:
    http://www.stashmycomics.com/
    http://comicbookdb.com/
    to see if your comics are listed with guide prices. I think SMC adds guide prices automatically... or it used to, anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i appreciate what your saying red , but in my opinion guides for the mainstreem common garden uk stuff are worthless . and a little misleading .

the comics the op has , and indeed my own , are worth very little right now in 2013

things are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them at the time etc

now isn't the right time , in 10-20 years they may be worth a bit more ,,,,, but im not so sure , im gonna hold on to mine , not in any rush to sell em ,,,,,,,, and perhaps in 2033 i will be lining my pockets or my robot cats litter tray :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trayhop123 wrote: »
    the comics the op has...

Have you read the whole thread? For a start the OPs sister somehow managed to get £300 quid for what we think, from the info given, are Marvel UK Spidey and SW comics which is more than what everyone expected.

Marvel UK comic prices aren't suddenly going to shoot up. They were mass produced and, for the main part, reprints. What they'll constantly do is peak and trough depending on other events and any original stories they contain.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Have you read the whole thread? For a start the OPs sister somehow managed to get £300 quid for what we think, from the info given, are Marvel UK Spidey and SW comics which is more than what everyone expected..

yes i have m8 , ,,,,,,, as shocked as you are if true ,,,,,,,,, im sure there's a little more to the story that we arn't aware of though
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh and nobody ,,, including myself until now ,,,,,, lol ,,,,,,,, spotted or corrected me ,,,,

its 2014 now
  • geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When talking about 'UK reprints' - do they just have the UK price on them? I've seen US versions that just have the dollar price and then there are versions that have the US, Canada and UK prices - is there an 'international' version also?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    geemonkee wrote: »
    When talking about 'UK reprints' - do they just have the UK price on them? I've seen US versions that just have the dollar price and then there are versions that have the US, Canada and UK prices - is there an 'international' version also?

Off the top of my head, my 80's Marvel UK comics just have a UK price on the front. Back then, and into the 90's, Marvel US comics that I picked up in the UK had US, Canada and UK prices.
    Marvel US comics now just have US prices on them. I know distribution networks have changed a few times, dunno if it's anything to do with that...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are book corners where they buy and sell old comics old books , I mean the rare ones and also the ones which are classic

Eh...?
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got quite a few 70's/80's comics/mags still, would these be worth anything?

2000AD - No 3, 5-767
    Starburst 20-120
    Dr Who Magazine 1-110
    Starlord - all
    Tornado - all
    Rampage - all
  • cosmicsoupcosmicsoup Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    I've got the Comic Relief comic from 1991 featuring marvel characters amongst others like Judge Dredd. I also have X-Files comic number 1 with the badge still attached.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    I've got quite a few 70's/80's comics/mags still, would these be worth anything?

2000AD - No 3, 5-767
    ll
    have you thought of eBaying No.4 ?????
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

2000AD - No 3, 5-767

You might be better off buying Number 1, 2 and 4 (It`ll cost you a few quid but might be worth it.) and offering them as a complete run - An instant set for someone wanting to jumpstart a collection.

Don`t think Starlord is worth much unfortunately - I have a complete run myself.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, I have never posted in this part before so bare with me.

I have some comics at my mums house they are 30 odd years old they are still in quite good condition and are tucked away in boxes in her loft.. They are old issues of Bunty, Mandy, Judy, and Nikki girls comics.

There are quite a few in about 3 or 4 boxes, I used to collect them every week, and never threw them away.

Would they be worth anything, or are they worthless, I forgot all about them, and my mum just hung on them for sentlementle reasons I think.
  • TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have some comics at my mums house they are 30 odd years old they are still in quite good condition and are tucked away in boxes in her loft.. They are old issues of Bunty, Mandy, Judy, and Nikki girls comics.

There are quite a few in about 3 or 4 boxes, I used to collect them every week, and never threw them away.

Would they be worth anything, or are they worthless, I forgot all about them, and my mum just hung on them for sentlementle reasons I think.
    It's possible, to the right collector. There is a market for everything....and I mean everything, out there. From child's teeth to space junk.
    One thing I'd advise is looking on sites like ebay (unless yours are mint which I doubt, those of is who've had mint when we brought them...didn't really read them, we'd have 2...or have been so so careful.) it'll give you an idea. Plus just google, there are a lot of collector based sites , and people seeking sites.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TeganRhan wrote: »
    It's possible, to the right collector. There is a market for everything....and I mean everything, out there. From child's teeth to space junk.
    One thing I'd advise is looking on sites like ebay (unless yours are mint which I doubt, those of is who've had mint when we brought them...didn't really read them, we'd have 2...or have been so so careful.) it'll give you an idea. Plus just google, there are a lot of collector based sites , and people seeking sites.

Thanks for the info, I'll start looking on-line, no there not in mint condition, but there not in bad condition considering.
  • HystericGlamourHystericGlamour Posts: 371
    Forum Member

Shame you didn't get Misty; it's the only one which commands premium prices. There are a few issues of Bunty from 1982/3 I might be interested in. Good indicator of value here
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

2000AD - No 3, 5-767

A couple of your 2000ADs will be.

During the Judge Dredd story 'The Cursed Earth', he runs into people who fight each other based on loyalties to Burger King & McDonalds. The Jolly Green Giant and other characters also pop up at some point.

2000AD was sued over the blatant copywrite infringements and these Dredd episodes have NEVER been reprinted. They are missing from any subsequent so-called 'complete' reprinting of the saga.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »

During the Judge Dredd story 'The Cursed Earth', he runs into people who fight each other based on loyalties to Burger King & McDonalds. The Jolly Green Giant and other characters also pop up at some point.

Problematic progs were 71, 72, 77, 78. Colonel Sanders also appears. There's a seller on Ebay asking £50 for them but no bids yet.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »

2000AD was sued over the blatant copywrite infringements and these Dredd episodes have NEVER been reprinted. They are missing from any subsequent so-called 'complete' reprinting of the saga.

I remember reading about Dredd's Fast-food related ruckus.

Something else readers might be interested in- Ebay sells old newspaper comic
    sections. For example, this 1951 section has Flash Gordon, Dick Tracy, Donald Duck and Terry and the Pirates:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dick-Tracy-Mickey-Mouse-Flash-Gordon-JUNE-17-1951-Newspaper-Comic-Section-/161788359199?hash=item25ab56721f
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found a Dandy, Beano and Buster all from Xmas 1995 in an old wardrobe today.....guess they might be worth a few pence in another 30 years:)
  • Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I picked up a couple of old copies of Hotspur in a book shop not so long ago. I doubt they're worth anything - but it was fun to have a look at them.

I suspect my entire comic collection would be worth a few quid - but I could never bring myself to sell up. Comics are basically my first love.