EE
Primus
Tesco
Plusnet
Sky
Postoffice
JohnLewis
BE

Was with virgin but, they are not doing any retention deals to make it worthwhile, and don't really need the tv package.

All i need is: unlimited (for streaming hardly any downloading), a phone line and BB.
However the property does not have a phone line installed.

There are just so many different packages on offer and companies, reputations etc its all so confusing these days.

My personal opinion is avoid TT as they have been the donkey arse in the days.

Around £20/25 p/m is what looking at spending.
Plymouth area

any recommendations would be great.

thanks
scruff

Comments

• SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're opting for DSL rather than cable, and Fibre isn't available, I'd suggest a LLU service. Speaking from experience you end up with a more stable line speed and fewer drop outs. Sky Unlimited for example.
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yup going for the DSL...Its because of saving money. there are no other fibre suppliers in the area... i think...
    Currently on virgin.
    We had a long chat with virgin, and there is nothing they could/would do to bring down the price of the service which is £42 p/m
    M+tv
    10mb bb
    phoneline

The tv isn't really important, we even talked to them about getting rid of the tv and they said it would only bring the price down by £8.. where as if your a new customer (taken from the website)
    Up to 30Mb

Free
    for 6 months
    then £14.50 a month
    plus £30 off
    Plus a Virgin Phone line for £14.99 a month

So why not just get rid of them and go else where, average speed is 5mb/8mb depending on who according to the interweb for the postcode.
    If it means going to another supplier to save a few £100 a year then why not, if your not using all the services.

was thinking of 02 as a customer with them already and can get a few extra quid off. but wondering about the overall cost of getting a new line in the house as that's the main expense.
  • bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    scruffpot wrote: »
    Ok. so the choice I can have is according to broadbandchoices are:
    Talk talk,
    BT
    O2
    EE
    Primus
    Tesco
    Plusnet
    Sky
    Postoffice
    JohnLewis
    BE

Was with virgin but, they are not doing any retention deals to make it worthwhile, and don't really need the tv package.

All i need is: unlimited (for streaming hardly any downloading), a phone line and BB.
    However the property does not have a phone line installed.

There are just so many different packages on offer and companies, reputations etc its all so confusing these days.

My personal opinion is avoid TT as they have been the donkey arse in the days.

Around £20/25 p/m is what looking at spending.
    Plymouth area

any recommendations would be great.

thanks
    scruff

I can tell you now for the price you want to pay, you will not be able to havy an bt bb package as the minimum bb package is £12 a month with a £15.45 line rental.

I would be amazed if you can get a truly unlimited bb service anywhere plus line rental for £20 Sky offer unlimited bb for cheap but there are reports of over subscription and very poor speeds.
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes bottleofbest I have sort of realised that myself... never mind unlimited aint the be all and end all of everything to be honest...
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    I left TT for Sky just over a year ago and am happy with the service, very stable @ 15MB download speed 0.86MB up.
    I'm paying £14.50 line rental and £10 for unlimited broadband (includes free weekend calls) but another £5 on top for 24/7 free calls to UK and 20 other countries.
    So £29.50 for me but with long length daily calls to Ireland it is well worth the £5, had the same with TT.
  • flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we live in a rural area in essex and the post office was the fastest and best according to speeds given.. i have sky but prefer to use the post office. In recent years (since 2000) i have used virgin,NTL,BT and others but the best was the old digital NTL but alas NTL does not excist.
  • zaaxzaax Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    Don't forget if your not in Hull nor in a cabled area the only company who will be actully running the system to your front door is BT openreach. All the rest are just agents who buy the product from them at a whole sale price of about £5 / month. Some have their kit in your local BT owned exchange a lot don't, its call LLU.
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Cable would be best, I have to have ADSL because I'm in a village.

I've just changed from BT to Talk talk, with some trepidation, however I have to say the service from Talk Talk has been excellent.

I get the same services and speed, as I did with BT but at under half the cost!
    Forum Member
    we live in a rural area in essex and the post office was the fastest and best according to speeds given.. i have sky but prefer to use the post office. In recent years (since 2000) i have used virgin,NTL,BT and others but the best was the old digital NTL but alas NTL does not excist.
    NTL was taken over by Virgin.
    Forum Member
    I can tell you now for the price you want to pay, you will not be able to havy an bt bb package as the minimum bb package is £12 a month with a £15.45 line rental.

I would be amazed if you can get a truly unlimited bb service anywhere plus line rental for £20 Sky offer unlimited bb for cheap but there are reports of over subscription and very poor speeds.
    Talk Talk, package BB and Phone, £18.50 a month,inc. line rental.Unlimited downloads, free evening and weekend calls.1 year contract.
    Download and upload speeds are the same as with BT.

What's not to like?
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi scruffpot

I switched from 02 to Talk Talk last June simply because they were much cheaper. Like you I had some reservations due to past customer services issues I'd heard about but I've found them pretty good - only slight downside is their call centre is in Indonesia and they're not the easiest people to understand but they're always very helpful.

I've got The Essentials package. £3.25 a month for unlimited broadband and free evening and weekend calls. I paid my line rental up front for a year (£114) because you get a big saving (£9.50 a month instead of £14.95, saving over £60 a year).

That gives a total annual cost of £153.There's also an offer on until Wed 6 March of a £70 love2shop voucher which can be used in many stores.. If you deduct that from £153 you get £83 for the year, which works out at £6.92 a month for phone and broadband. I don't know of any other provider that comes anywhere near that figure.

PS - speed averages around 15 megs (London)
  • llama1llama1 Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    we pay around £25 just for virgin bb, no tv no phoneline
    speed dont know it was 4mb when we started, soon upped to 10mb recently ive seen actual download approx 20mb

by time you factor in line rental with adsl and then drastic drop in speed id suffer is not worth it

if you dont want extras just tell them no!
    also failing that actually cancel then return as new customer
    dsl after fibre will be a dissapointment
    Forum Member
    culttvfan wrote: »
    Hi scruffpot

I switched from 02 to Talk Talk last June simply because they were much cheaper. Like you I had some reservations due to past customer services issues I'd heard about but I've found them pretty good - only slight downside is their call centre is in Indonesia and they're not the easiest people to understand but they're always very helpful.

I've got The Essentials package. £3.25 a month for unlimited broadband and free evening and weekend calls. I paid my line rental up front for a year (£114) because you get a big saving (£9.50 a month instead of £14.95, saving over £60 a year).

That gives a total annual cost of £153.There's also an offer on until Wed 6 March of a £70 love2shop voucher which can be used in many stores.. If you deduct that from £153 you get £83 for the year, which works out at £6.92 a month for phone and broadband. I don't know of any other provider that comes anywhere near that figure.

PS - speed averages around 15 megs (London)
    I only got a £25 voucher, lol.

But my d/l speed is identical to BT at 18 meg.
  • bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    JB3 wrote: »
    Talk Talk, package BB and Phone, £18.50 a month,inc. line rental.Unlimited downloads, free evening and weekend calls.1 year contract.
    Download and upload speeds are the same as with BT.

What's not to like?

It's not truly unlimited though, it's traffic managed at peak times.
  • djfrancisdjfrancis Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well i posted a thread a few hours ago and seen ADSL24 http://adsl24.co.uk

Premium LLU
    Up to 24 Mb
    Up to 1.4 Mb
    Contract length 1 month
    Peak usage Unlimited
    Off-peak usage Unlimited
    Static IP: Ticked
    No throttling:Ticked
    New activation fee or Migration fee FREE

£18.90 plus i think you need a BT Line for £14.50
    Roughly £34

Virgin Media (Phone line not Cable)
    £9.99 a month for 40GB usage
    Roughly £25

£15.99 a month for unlimited usage
    Roughly £31

TalkTalk are very heavy on P2P ports so i been told.
    Plusnet http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml
    Forum Member
    It's not truly unlimited though, it's traffic managed at peak times.
    Can't say I've noticed, it hasn't affected me as yet.