Adele 'tempted' to sign $10 million dollar cosmetics contract & move to LA

Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If rumours are true it seems she's not quite the down to earth gal people thought - a bit of a hypocrite in fact.
Wonder if she'll do it?
In a 2011 interview, Adele, who is thought to have earnt $32 million last year, slammed stars who took money for any sort of ad campaign.

She said: “It’s shameful when you sell out. It depends on what kind of artist you wanna be, but I don’t want my name anywhere near another brand.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2293595/Adele-tempted-sign-10-million-cosmetic-sponsorship-deal-LA--despite-slating-stars-sell-out.html

Comments

• Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Up to her, but I never understand the obsesion people have who are already rich just wantiung even more. Just how many cars or houses do you need?

I laugh at that Irish golfer who signed with Nike and now plays worse than I do. Serves him right, he was already rich AND would have been even richer had he just kept as he was.

I don't know if these people get their heads turned by their management or what, but you do have to ask why they need to do it.
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Up to her, but I never understand the obsesion people have who are already rich just wantiung even more. Just how many cars or houses do you need?

I laugh at that Irish golfer who signed with Nike and now plays worse than I do. Serves him right, he was already rich AND would have been even richer had he just kept as he was.

I don't know if these people get their heads turned by their management or what, but you do have to ask why they need to do it.

Totally agree with you.

It just reeks of greed to me. Mind you, the Adele thing is just rumour at the moment, and time will tell if she's as greedy as many others.

What I do know is that she sings like a cat on heat. ;)
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a fickle business. If the right opportunity comes up, I can see why she would be tempted. And she has a fantastic face/skin so endorsing a cosmetics company would be a sound and credible brand match for her. Must be a really exciting time for her after all her success she's had over the last year.

I'm sure she'll be able to live with the 'hypocrisy' charges :rolleyes: and as long as the focus is still her music, then no biggie.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People change. Adele's life is now completely different to what it was two years ago. She probably never saw any of this coming. So now she has to change to fit in with her new life. There isn't any going back from the type of fame Adele now has.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know what the fuss is about here. When offered an opportuntity to make some money most people will take it. Only very rich people can afford to be choosy.

In Adele's case she might not be as rich as people estimate and her career might not last. Not everyone in the music industry can live off their earnings into their old age. One of the members of Blue has just been declared bankrupt. OK I know he's not in Adele's league but some people only have a limited period of time to make the money (models, footballers, popstars). Adele's star may wane quickly, who knows?
  • SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it's 'hypocrisy' to do something you slate others for but if the cheque is big enough people often change tack.

Cosmetics / perfume deals are easy money because apart from a few photo shoots and the odd PA the star can just carry on with their nomal career without worrying about it

I do think she will leave the UK eventualy though as she hates paying tax so will go where she pays less
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    I don't know what the fuss is about here. When offered an opportuntity to make some money most people will take it. Only very rich people can afford to be choosy.

In Adele's case she might not be as rich as people estimate and her career might not last. Not everyone in the music industry can live off their earnings into their old age. One of the members of Blue has just been declared bankrupt. OK I know he's not in Adele's league but some people only have a limited period of time to make the money (models, footballers, popstars). Adele's star may wane quickly, who knows?

Exactly, a fickle business. The opportunities she has now will set her and her family up for life. She'd be very foolish not to exploit them.
  • LollytrollLollytroll Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    I don't understand why people think this makes her less down to earth. If I was in her shoes I would be making all the money I could while it was offered. You never know what's around the corner. The fact that we are talking large amounts of money does not change the commen sense of trying to make hay while the sun shines. Plus being a new mum I am sure she is thinking about securing her sons and even his children's future, wanting to give them a better life than she had. Again a normal parent response
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lollytroll wrote: »
    I don't understand why people think this makes her less down to earth. If I was in her shoes I would be making all the money I could while it was offered. You never know what's around the corner. The fact that we are talking large amounts of money does not change the commen sense of trying to make hay while the sun shines. Plus being a new mum I am sure she is thinking about securing her sons and even his children's future, wanting to give them a better life than she had. Again a normal parent response

Its usually the people who never liked Adele anyway or have a problem with her for what ever reason. ;) They have to use what ever stick they can to beat her with just to make themselves feel better. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its usually the people who never liked Adele anyway or have a problem with her for what ever reason. ;) They have to use what ever stick they can to beat her with just to make themselves feel better. :)

Seems that way. Sad, eh.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Yes, amazing that a rumour in that paragon of truth the Daily Fail can cause haters to treat it as gospel and go on the attack but should it be a rumour in the same rag about one of their faves it's all a load of rubbish.

Even if it turns out to be 100% true, good luck to her is all I can say. It's not like this woman was born with a silver spoon in her mouth, is it? Alcoholic, absent father and brought up by her mum in a flat in Tottenham. She's got where she has on pure talent alone. If she now wishes to secure her and her family's future by wearing some make up and being photographed then fine by me. She's bloody gorgeous anyway.

As previously stated, she's in a very fickle business, it can all go so wrong so quickly (Anthony Costa anyone??) so why not make sure she's set for life?
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Yes, amazing that a rumour in that paragon of truth the Daily Fail can cause haters to treat it as gospel and go on the attack but should it be a rumour in the same rag about one of their faves it's all a load of rubbish.

Even if it turns out to be 100% true, good luck to her is all I can say. It's not like this woman was born with a silver spoon in her mouth, is it? Alcoholic, absent father and brought up by her mum in a flat in Tottenham. She's got where she has on pure talent alone. If she now wishes to secure her and her family's future by wearing some make up and being photographed then fine by me. She's bloody gorgeous anyway.

As previously stated, she's in a very fickle business, it can all go so wrong so quickly (Anthony Costa anyone??) so why not make sure she's set for life?

^^^
    This!
  • fifitrixibellefifitrixibelle Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's rather over the top. Of course this is all speculation...but just suppose that this offer is correct - and I have no doubt at all that she has been made extremely lucrative offers considering how over exposed she is - then what she is quoted to have said about not "selling" out and never putting her name to another brand and how "shameful" it is to do such a thing is imo just as salient a point for discussion as any other on a showbiz forum. I don't see the need for childish retorts about others trying to make themselves feel better.
    The fact is, if she has/is considering it, it makes her a hypocrite, that would be quite a statement to make yet backtrack on at the whiff of making yet more money.
    And for the record, I don't dislike the woman but don't like her either, nor the constant airplay she gets which is easy to avoid at home but unfortunately not elsewhere. I think she's overhyped and overplayed but appreciate other's don't.
    I would have thought like her or not clearly it would be hypocritical of her, no matter how it's justified by others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's rather over the top. Of course this is all speculation...but just suppose that this offer is correct - and I have no doubt at all that she has been made extremely lucrative offers considering how over exposed she is - then what she is quoted to have said about not "selling" out and never putting her name to another brand and how "shameful" it is to do such a thing is imo just as salient a point for discussion as any other on a showbiz forum. I don't see the need for childish retorts about others trying to make themselves feel better.
    The fact is, if she has/is considering it, it makes her a hypocrite, that would be quite a statement to make yet backtrack on at the whiff of making yet more money.
    And for the record, I don't dislike the woman but don't like her either, nor the constant airplay she gets which is easy to avoid at home but unfortunately not elsewhere. I think she's overhyped and overplayed but appreciate other's don't.

I would have thought like her or not clearly it would be hypocritical of her, no matter how it's justified by others.

This ^^ - especially the BiB's.

Some people don't think she's a good singer and that she might be being a mite hypocritical if she takes up this offer so perhaps people could be allowed to say so instead of FM's taking personal swipes?
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    If I were Adele I'd sign up to this in an instant.

You have no idea where your career can be in five years time- look Adele's 2008 contemporary Duffy for a clear example of that (although, somewhat ironically, her downfall was bought about by signing up to those dreadful series of promotions with Diet Coke!)
    Forum Member

To be fair all humans are guilty of hypocrisy at some stage in their lives - whether in word or deed. And it would be really futile to try and argue otherwise. And this without the carrot of TEN MILLION DOLLARS. :p People's views change (certainly becoming a parent tends to make you very much re-evaluate many of your previoulsy held beliefs and actions). The difference between you and Adele is millions more people know about the beliefs she has had before and so there is no real hiding place :D
    Forum Member
    If I were Adele I'd sign up to this in an instant.

You have no idea where your career can be in five years time- look Adele's 2008 contemporary Duffy for a clear example of that (although, somewhat ironically, her downfall was bought about by signing up to those dreadful series of promotions with Diet Coke!)

Oh yes, my God that was a car crash. Difference here is Adele's 'people' haven't changed since she first signed with XL when she was still a teenager and consequently would never let her subject herself to such a public humiliation as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUW8GrOIZcQ

:eek::eek:
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member

You took the words right out of my mouth.
  • yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's true, good luck to her. People change. Something I said two years ago may be different to how I feel now. She's a new mother. Perhaps her priorities in life have changed now and she's looking at things from a different perspective in terms of having others to provide for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, people do change their minds over time, but she was very emphatic here about involvement with brands.
    Rule number one in the singer's plan is no advertising tie-ins. "I think it's shameful when you sell out," she says. "It depends what kind of artist you wanna be but I don't want my name anywhere near another brand. I don't wanna be tainted or haunted." Adele attends every "strategy meeting" and approves every decision personally.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/the-secret-of-adeles-success-no-festivals-tweeting-ndash-or-selling-out-2288168.html

To go from being so principled to signing up for a sum of money most of us wouldn't see in 100 lifetimes seems hypocritical - if it happens.
    Forum Member
    Following on from my last post, I'll take it a step further and ask a question of the posters who are castigating Adele for being a hypocrite IF :rolleyes: this is true.

Have you NEVER done or said anything hypocritical in your life? Changed once held beliefs etc?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Following on from my last post, I'll take it a step further and ask a question of the posters who are castigating Adele for being a hypocrite IF :rolleyes: this is true.

Have you NEVER done or said anything hypocritical in your life? Changed once held beliefs etc?

Yes, I'm sure every single one of us has changed our minds about things in our lives, but I doubt if anyone on here has perhaps received $10 million for doing it. ;)
    Forum Member
    Yes, I'm sure every single one of us has changed our minds about things in our lives, but I doubt if anyone on here has perhaps received $10 million for doing it. ;)

Thank you. So you're not particularly upset about Adele's perceived hypocrisy because we are all guilty of it at some stage; it's more to do with the sum of money she is rumoured to be getting? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair all humans are guilty of hypocrisy at some stage in their lives - whether in word or deed. And it would be really futile to try and argue otherwise. And this without the carrot of TEN MILLION DOLLARS. :p People's views change (certainly becoming a parent tends to make you very much re-evaluate many of your previoulsy held beliefs and actions). The difference between you and Adele is millions more people know about the beliefs she has had before and so there is no real hiding place :D

Plus, since she's only at the the 'tempted' stage as far as we know, who's to say that she herself is not keenly aware of her previous stance about endorsements and is having to reassess her thinking on this. Like any sensible, rational person would when presented with a $10m endorsement opportunity.

Adele seems like someone who'd put her hands up and acknowledge her previous comments, not that she has any obligation to justify the business decision she takes.