Will Young

blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 2,997
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think Mr Young is probably one of the best solo artists in this country - personal opinion, i know there's tons of people who cannot stand him, but seriously how can you compare an outstanding album like Friday's Child to the work of Olly Murs, it's just insane. Last year Will Young reinvented his career with Echoes, a total U-turn and he's made impressive choices throughout.

So why is he not won Best Male yet...or been asked to perform? It's really ridiculous.

You want talent...listen to Will Young singing All The Things You Are. I cannot believe Mr Robbie Ego Williams has received all the Brits he has. I know Brits are Brits...but it's ridiculous. I know if the public had any say back then in the winners of Best Male he'd have won for sure but back then there was alot more snobbery at reality tv show winners then there is now.

Album sales (rounded)
800,000 From Now On
1,600,000 Fridays Child
1,000,000 Keep On
440,000 Let It Go
550,000 The Hits
500,000 Echoes

I think considering he's maintained the sales quite well. I'm stunned he cannot sell out arenas no more.

It's RIDICULOUS that Olly Murs was choosen to perform Heart Skips A BEat at the Brits last year when they could have asked Will Young to perform Jealousy and acknowledge a 10 year career -just the most amazing songs, just listen to the albums. If you hate him or the voice fair enough, but seriously WY's songs are even better than Adele thats my opinion.

Moan over. Let Flo Rida back in :rolleyes:

Comments

• blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you've never heard Will Young before i suggest you listen to bar the singles.

From Now On - Over You
    Friday's Child - Very Kind, Love The One You're With
    Keep On - Madness, Home
    Let It Go - If Love Equals Nothing, You Don't Know
    Echoes - Happy Now, Hearts On Fire, Silent Valentine
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    Totally agree with you. There is something about him that is kind of annoying which i can't put my finger on but music wise he can't be faulted. Echos for me was such a solid album.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's totally impressive that Will doesn't churn out an album a year either when he easily could.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    It's totally impressive that Will doesn't churn out an album a year either when he easily could.

Theres more to will than meets the eye ;).
  • crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will has impressed me with his longevity and the quality of the music just gets better and better! He is so cute as well! lol
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't really listened to him much since the Keep It On album - the only song I have since then is Jealousy. But I still love his first album even now - I love From Now On, Lovestruck and Side By Side.

Might have to give his newer albums a listen, he is so talented at what he does.
  • jake19801957jake19801957 Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    any new albums coming soon
  • AmazingAmazing Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    any new albums coming soon

Hopefully. He's changed record labels and is now with Island (universal).
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I like Will Young and have done ever since Pop Idol. But aside from Fridays Child (which is fantastic from start to end), I really struggle to listen to his albums in full. Singles aside, they are pretty filler heavy. Let It Go in particular was a bit of a chore to get through.

Great vocalist though and I'd love to see him live.
  • Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,075
    Forum Member
    All Time Love is my all-time guilty pleasure :o
  • PCRosePCRose Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will is my most favourite artist though I like the music of loads of singers and bands.

I can't wait for his new music. In terms of his studio albums, I would rank them (favourite first)

1. Echoes
    2. Keep On
    3. Fridays Child
    4. Let It Go
    5. From Now On

He's done some glorious covers over the years- Golden Slumbers, Careful, Hey Ya, Don't Cha, Blame It On The Sun, I Love You More Than You Will Ever Know all spring to mind.

History was a brilliant collaboration with Groove Armada, love that.

He's a wonderful singer and I think his voice improves year on year.

Roll on album seven!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    I like Will Young and have done ever since Pop Idol. But aside from Fridays Child (which is fantastic from start to end), I really struggle to listen to his albums in full. Singles aside, they are pretty filler heavy. Let It Go in particular was a bit of a chore to get through.

Great vocalist though and I'd love to see him live.

I so disagree. There are very few fillers on Will's albums IMO and some of the album tracks I would have preferred as singles. I also think he is possibly the finest live vocalist the UK has ever produced.

My order

Echoes
    Keep on
    Friday's Child
    Let It Go
    From Now On.
  • **Julie****Julie** Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I think a lot of people have not got a clue what Will Young is capable of vocally.

He can sing any type of genre, has done sell out sessions in jazz clubs, Tailored his singing beautifully to the 1930S era from Mrs Henderson Presents & in contrast sang amazing pop tech tunes on his own album Echoes.

It is a fact that his vocal is always faultless and his delivery so in tune with the actual words he sings. Will brings light & shade to all his songs, he has the nouce to recognise that its not just about belting out the song.

I urge anyone to seek out his live performance of Running Up That Hill at his London Palladium show just to see how much he puts into his performances. Hiw live shows are worth every penny & he puts his heart and soul on the line when he performs.

Echoes is my favourite album, there are some brilliant songs on there. I disagree about fillers too. Knowing the type of artist that Will is - he would not compromise himself by doing this.

IMO he is a national treasure- stuff the Brits committee if they feel fit to ignore Will Young. He IS Britain's best male without a doubt.
  • **Julie****Julie** Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't rank all of his albums, never really got into his albums before Let It Go!

I liked most of his singles from those albums though, his best 3 albums for me right now are in order:

1. Let It Go
    2. Echoes
    3. Friday's Child
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    **Julie** wrote: »

Watching this it makes you realise that The Brits Awards Show is, as I always thought, a load of rubbish. It is a travesty that Will hasn't been asked to perform in the eleven years he has been on the scene. :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    Watching this it makes you realise that The Brits Awards Show is, as I always thought, a load of rubbish. It is a travesty that Will hasn't been asked to perform in the eleven years he has been on the scene. :eek:

Their loss:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Mr Young is probably one of the best solo artists in this country - personal opinion, i know there's tons of people who cannot stand him, but seriously how can you compare an outstanding album like Friday's Child to the work of Olly Murs, it's just insane. Last year Will Young reinvented his career with Echoes, a total U-turn and he's made impressive choices throughout.

So why is he not won Best Male yet...or been asked to perform? It's really ridiculous.

You want talent...listen to Will Young singing All The Things You Are. I cannot believe Mr Robbie Ego Williams has received all the Brits he has. I know Brits are Brits...but it's ridiculous. I know if the public had any say back then in the winners of Best Male he'd have won for sure but back then there was alot more snobbery at reality tv show winners then there is now.

Album sales (rounded)
    800,000 From Now On - 900,000
    1,600,000 Fridays Child - 1.8m
    1,000,000 Keep On - 1.4m
    440,000 Let It Go - 500,000
    550,000 The Hits - 600,000
    500,000 Echoes - 500,000

I think considering he's maintained the sales quite well. I'm stunned he cannot sell out arenas no more.

It's RIDICULOUS that Olly Murs was choosen to perform Heart Skips A BEat at the Brits last year when they could have asked Will Young to perform Jealousy and acknowledge a 10 year career -just the most amazing songs, just listen to the albums. If you hate him or the voice fair enough, but seriously WY's songs are even better than Adele thats my opinion.

Moan over. Let Flo Rida back in :rolleyes:

I don't think it's anything to do with him not being able to sell out arenas, it's just he doesn't want to. He seems to prefer touring in theatres, and indeed some of his songs only really work in a theatre situation.

Incidentally I don't know how you've rounded your figures for album sales, but from the figures I've seen they are higher. And bearing in mind this is the UK market, and not worldwide, it's pretty impressive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a major Will fan but i disagree with you. He did Friday's Child and Keep On at arenas by choice. There's no way Will would not do an arena tour if he could, who wouldn't...he clearly enjoyed the big theatrical budget shows....there's no artist that wouldn't do arenas if they could sell them out. I think he could sell a few arena's out but he couldn't do what he used to do the 200,000 tickets he used to sell per tour are not really possible anymore.

On the sales i am pretty sure Keep On has not done 1.4 Million, it crossed 1 million just after Echoes was released. From Now On is no where near 900k, and Let It Go has sold no where near 500k - the others seem accurate though.

I still cannot believe there was no Keep On Tour DVD, that would have made one amazing DVD.
  • MargueriteMarguerite Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a major Will fan but i disagree with you. He did Friday's Child and Keep On at arenas by choice. There's no way Will would not do an arena tour if he could, who wouldn't...he clearly enjoyed the big theatrical budget shows....there's no artist that wouldn't do arenas if they could sell them out. I think he could sell a few arena's out but he couldn't do what he used to do the 200,000 tickets he used to sell per tour are not really possible anymore.

On the sales i am pretty sure Keep On has not done 1.4 Million, it crossed 1 million just after Echoes was released. From Now On is no where near 900k, and Let It Go has sold no where near 500k - the others seem accurate though.

I still cannot believe there was no Keep On Tour DVD, that would have made one amazing DVD.

If you read Funny Peculiar, then you will understand why Will doesn't do arena tours anymore. He quite frankly says that he made no money from the Keep On tour and I have no reason to doubt him.

There's far less outlay for a theatre tour, it's more intimate and I suspect far more profitable, :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More accurate sales figures, though these are probably at least 6 months out of date.

From Now On 883,031+ (so closer to 900k)
    Friday's Child 1,706,697+
    Keep on 1,003,163+
    Let it Go 430k+
    The Hits 587.5k+
    Echoes 493,200+

So many artists still do arenas but don't fill them and have part of the arena closed off. Will chooses not to. When his summer dates go on sale he always sells out quicker than a lot of current pop acts that are perceived more popular.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've long given up expecting recognition from the Brits for Will. If it was going to happen it would have been after Friday's Child. Echoes was an amazing album and if that didn't get him the nod for Best Male I can't imagine what will. But then, the Brits is a bit of a joke so hey, who gives one - having said that though I was spitting blood when Olly Murrs got a performance slot! That was a real slap in the face.

He is probably a niche artist now and he clearly enjoys diversifying when not producing music so at least you get value for money with Will - he was a revelation as the Emcee in Cabaret recently, amazing performance. One that should win awards but it's Will so that probably won't happen :rolleyes:

I'm a lot more relaxed about it all now and to be honest, he appears to be too. 11 years now since winning PI so the boy ain't done bad :cool:
  • pasodabblepasodabble Posts: 5,865
    Forum Member
    I really used to like Will Young but lost interest after the 3rd album. I liked one song from the 4th (or was it 5th?) album and downloaded it on itunes, but that's all it's been for me since album 3. He's a very good singer but I don't enjoy listening to him - I never really did but liked the music (and him) enough to override that.

He's done well to maintain good enough sales, has co-written a lot of his stuff and has also done other things outside the music industry which is not just savvy but also healthy, so well done to him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will has substance and is growing as an artist, award shows aren't about that kind of thing these days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pasodabble wrote: »
    I really used to like Will Young but lost interest after the 3rd album. I liked one song from the 4th (or was it 5th?) album and downloaded it on itunes, but that's all it's been for me since album 3. He's a very good singer but I don't enjoy listening to him - I never really did but liked the music (and him) enough to override that.

He's done well to maintain good enough sales, has co-written a lot of his stuff and has also done other things outside the music industry which is not just savvy but also healthy, so well done to him.

I hope you do give "Echoes", his last album, a try (especially as it's cheaper now;)) I'm a great Will fan, and of course loved all his albums, but "Echoes" is his best IMO.:)