Would you take a desktop computer with you on a trolley?

My IT teacher at school said that he is firmly against laptop computers, due to the amount of problems they can cause for people and that he prefers desktop computers.

He said about if he wanted portability, he would put his computer on a trolley, or a desk with wheels even when he is aout and about and the computer would be powered by a petrol generator. If it rains, he said that he would simply cover his computer up with a blanket! :D

Would you do this? :cool:

Comments

• Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I think your IT teacher is on a wind-up.

There's some truth to the idea that laptops cause problems.
    If a laptop goes wrong then chances are it's a write-off whereas a desktop PC can usually be fixed by replacing the faulty part and it's sometimes true that a laptop won't have the flexibility of a desktop but that's hardly a good enough reason to dismiss laptops.

Methinks your IT teacher is just manifesting "Grumpy Old Man Syndrome". ;)
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure abacus can be pretty portable, too.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I took a desktop PC ( base unit ) to Australia in the late 90's which I had to cart around on a trolley as we put it into a special foam filled trunk, but that was when laptops were barely able to run a word processor application and they cost an arm and a leg.

But yeah I think it's time for your teacher to give up IT.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't as I'd look completely stupid going around with one. At least with a laptop I can put it in my bag and carry it around. I think your teacher is either winding you up or being a bit of a Victor Meldrew :D
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

Yes :D
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think lots of people must be doing it.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?pws=0&gl=uk&q=computer+trolley
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Banned after one day.
    Must be a record.
    My mate took a load of servers up to London to install complete with a special trolley to move them.
    I gave him a lift to the station about 2200 I don't think he finished until about 1800 the next day!
  • Andrew_BallardAndrew_Ballard Posts: 1,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nvm pls delete
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most hardware is made in the far east, so it has survived numerous trucks, container ships etc for about 10,000km. A school trolley seems quite gentle in comparison. Moving a powered up hard drive is another matter.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My IT teacher at school said that he is firmly against laptop computers, due to the amount of problems they can cause for people and that he prefers desktop computers.

He said about if he wanted portability, he would put his computer on a trolley, or a desk with wheels even when he is aout and about and the computer would be powered by a petrol generator. If it rains, he said that he would simply cover his computer up with a blanket! :D

That kind of thinking is absolutely ridiculous. I do think towers can handle stress better than laptops because laptop processors can get warmer quite a bit quicker than towers when under stress. Saying this though, I've never used an i7 laptop, so what I said might be wrong when it comes to dearer laptops these days.