Mrs Brown's Boys S3 Discussion

Comments

• Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    I adore this series/ sitcom? - I'm so distraught at having to wait. Thank goodness for DVDs & recordings.:)
  • TheSparklyOneTheSparklyOne Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    This series was hilarious!

I'll have to dig out my box set and ration myself so I've got enough to last me until Christmas.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    good things are worth waiting for.:D

Fawlty Towers 4 years, 5 years first and second series Open All Hours and 3 years third and fourth.

So good things are worth waiting for.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have really enjoyed this series, and a great ending.. It all about the fun the cast are having and that comes across, ok it is old-fashioned, rude and basic, but with all that going on in the world, but to just have a laugh is a great tonic.
    Long may it 'carry-on'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    The really strange thing (that really bugs me) is that whenever Agnes talks about her children, she refers to having six, but only 5 have ever been mentioned in the show. The sixth child has never been mentioned by name though. Even the BBC site says there are six children.

Perhaps this one is being saved for the next series. It took a while for Trevor to make his debut, but since he's so rarely on, you tend to think about the four regular ones. The 1989 cast in the movie 'Agnes Browne' including her, might as well be a different family altogether so I'm not sure Brendan will ever write for all of them ever..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    This series has been great in general but it was an awful episode to finish on. Almost like it was trying too hard to be funny rather than letting it come naturally which the other episodes managed so effortlessly. Still, every great series has a dud along the line and I'm sure others loved it - it just wasn't for me.

Completely agree. Loved the series as a whole but last night's episode was really forced comedy and there weren't that many laughs
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Agree was really worried this was gonna be an awful wedding episode full of soppy nonsense but they avoided it and made it a funny epiosde from start to finish.

That happened to the double xmas episode which isn't a good omen if no more series are made, but hopefully B OC has got the message. The second series looks a bit threadbare now after this one, which has had no dud episode in it all, for me at least.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Fawlty Towers 4 years, 5 years first and second series Open All Hours and 3 years third and fourth.

So good things are worth waiting for.

Five years between the two series of Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That happened to the double xmas episode which isn't a good omen if no more series are made, but hopefully B OC has got the message. The second series looks a bit threadbare now after this one, which has had no dud episode in it all, for me at least.

The third series was excellent....there was at least one great and memorable LOL moment in each episode.
  • madj40madj40 Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the last episode, in fact the only one I wasn't keen on was when Cathy had the inflatable bra..for me it barely raised a smile. With that said,the rest of the series certainly pushed all the right buttons in the belly laughs dept for me and the greased lightning finale, was just the icing on the cake...:) Roll on series 4..:D
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    The third series was excellent....there was at least one great and memorable LOL moment in each episode.

That's my feeling too - a gem in every episode! Rory locking the car was priceless! I don't care that old jokes are recycled because the pleasure in the show is knowing the jokes are old and Brendan looking at the camera so you know what's coming next just adds to that moment.

I loved the Greased Lightning ending too - so not typical BBC! The whole cast and crew seem to have a ball with the show and it's a joy to see that.

PS Didn't mind the new kitchen units. but that blue was awful LOL! :D

PPS I still wish she'd go back to saying feckin instead of f*ckin though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's my feeling too - a gem in every episode! Rory locking the car was priceless! I don't care that old jokes are recycled because the pleasure in the show is knowing the jokes are old and Brendan looking at the camera so you know what's coming next just adds to that moment.

I loved the Greased Lightning ending too - so not typical BBC! The whole cast and crew seem to have a ball with the show and it's a joy to see that.

PS Didn't mind the new kitchen units. but that blue was awful LOL! :D

PPS I still wish she'd go back to saying feckin instead of f*ckin though.

The new kitchen is gone anyway (destroyed by Rory).....we'll be back to the old one again for the Christmas specials :)

There were some great moments this series....personal faves were Dermot and Buster as Ken & Barbie, Agnes stripping in front of the priest while hypnotised, her orgasmic experience with the mobile phone and her encounter with the swingers :D

Agree about the swearing but a lot of the time Agnes seems to be saying 'buckin' instead of the F word.
  • catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just found out that Cathy is Mrs Brown's real-life wife!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just found out that Cathy is Mrs Brown's real-life wife!

And Buster and Maria are his son and daughter :D
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    And Buster and Maria are his son and daughter :D

Eilish is his real life sister. She plays Winnie.
  • SmiffySmiffy Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    I don't read too much into the actors ages, or the fact that some of the jokes are as old as the hills.
    Just watch it for what it is.....an escape from the shite I have to put up with during the day.
    I like to laugh....don't care how it comes.
  • notinnotin Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eilish is his real life sister. She plays Winnie.

Ahh, Winnie is brilliant, the crack between her and Mrs Brown is hilarious.
  • Andy ParishAndy Parish Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The phenomenal success story as demonstrated in the ratings:

Mrs Brown’s Boys: BARB ratings

Series 1 (Feb 2011): (10:35pm Monday - BBC1/HD)

Episode 1: 2.84m
    Episode 2: 3.19m
    Episode 3: 3.48m
    Episode 4: 3.85m
    Episode 5: 3.94m
    Episode 6: 4.11m

Average: 3.57m

Series 2 (Jan 2012) : (9:30pm Monday/Saturday - BBC1/HD)

Christmas Special: 8.24m (Boxing Day 2011)

Episode 1: 6.60m
    Episode 2: 6.29m
    Episode 3: 6.37m
    Episode 4: 7.05m
    Episode 5: 7.25m
    Episode 6: 8.31m

Average: 7.16m

Series 3 (Jan 2013): (9:30pm Monday - BBC1/HD)

Christmas Special: 11.68m (Xmas Eve 2012)
    Christmas Special: 10.72m (Boxing Day 2012)

Episode 1: 9.78m
    Episode 2: 9.20m
    Episode 3: 9.66m
    Episode 4: 9.26m
    Episode 5: ??
    Episode 6: ??
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not 100% but I think Marks wife is married to Buster (Brendans son) in real life aswell as all the other relationships mentioned above
  • Andy ParishAndy Parish Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mishcoll wrote: »
    I'm not 100% but I think Marks wife is married to Buster (Brendans son) in real life aswell as all the other relationships mentioned above
    That's correct. Buster and Betty are married and their real life son plays Bono.

Cathy = his real life wife
    Maria = his real life daughter
    Buster = his real life son
    Bono = his real life grandson
    Dermot = his son's lifelong best friend
    Winnie = his real life sister
    Betty = his son's (Buster) real life wife
    Trevor the missionary = his daughter's (Maria) real life husband (and producer of the theatre shows)
    Sharon = wife's (Cathy) real life sister

And Rory is a long time friend, and agent

Mark and Grandad have both been with Brendan O'Carroll for about 20 years.

:D
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's correct. Buster and Betty are married and their real life son plays Bono.

Trevor the missionary = his daughter's (Maria) real life husband (and producer of the theatre shows)

Thx for this - did not know about Maria and Trevor:)
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the show, but some of the acting is pretty ropey.

Namely -

Trevor
    Professor Clowne from series 2
    Lala Doggy
    Cathy's boyfriend Mick (How did he end up back with him after he was exposed by Maria as being married??) :confused:

The rest of them are brilliant, especially as nearly all of them have had no acting experience before Mrs Brown.
  • Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member

Grandad I believe is Winnie's real life Father in law too.:)
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

<snip>
    ................Mark and Grandad have both been with Brendan O'Carroll for about 20 years.

Isn't Grandad his father-in-law?
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grandad I believe is Winnie's real life Father in law too.:)
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Isn't Grandad his father-in-law?

Dermot O'Neill (Grandad) isn't related to the O'Carrolls.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-20512744