Options

Car finance, ended relationship help

StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
Forum Member
Hi all,

Just found out tonight that my sisters boyfriend has just been cheating on her and she's left :mad:

They have to tie up lose ends obviously with the mortgage they had and a car they had on finance. Now the mortgage she's unsure how she's going to get out of but i think she can but, what she's stumped on is the situation with the car.

He couldn't get finance so she took it out for him so she pays it. But the car is registered to him through the DVLA. Does anyone know who has the rights legally to the car in this case?

Any advice on the mortgage situation would be fab as well!

EDIT:- Just realised this should be in advice :o

Comments

• Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    The registered keeper is not the owner (in fact the V5 states it;)), so the important thing is who bought it.
    If the finance is in her name, and she's the one who has been making payments, the car is hers (basically if she's got the receipt in her name it should be fairly clear cut).

Remember whenever you have a lease car you will likely be the RK, but the car is still owned by the lease company l)

The problem might be in getting it off him,

The mortgage will likely be a tougher problem, as if it's a joint mortgage one party will likely have to buy out the other and get a new mortgage, or they might have to sell the house and split any remaining profits or debts between them.

I am not a lawyer though.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter who the car is registered to, the person who the credit agreement was made with is the one who owns it (and has to pay for it).
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    That's what i thought :)

The mortgage, they only took it out in june so not much has been paid to it. I've advised her to go and see the bank they took it out with to see what she can do.

Thanks for the advice :)
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Surely if the car has been purchased on finance, the finance company owns it until it's paid for? ;)
  • Options
    housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just found out tonight that my sisters boyfriend has just been cheating on her and she's left :mad:

They have to tie up lose ends obviously with the mortgage they had and a car they had on finance. Now the mortgage she's unsure how she's going to get out of but i think she can but, what she's stumped on is the situation with the car.

He couldn't get finance so she took it out for him so she pays it. But the car is registered to him through the DVLA. Does anyone know who has the rights legally to the car in this case?

Any advice on the mortgage situation would be fab as well!

EDIT:- Just realised this should be in advice :o

Tell her to go to her local CAB they will give her free advice