Films that start well and end terribly

12346»

Comments

• Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    Every single film adapted from a Stephen King novel.

Except The Mist, That was unexpectedly brilliant!

Mmmm, I think you're confusing Stephen King's novels with their screen adaptations that are invariably better than the badly-written books from which they are adapted.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Signs. Brilliant til the last 10 minutes.

Midnight in Paris wasn't a "bad" ending per se but it WAS very abrupt.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mama
    Splice
    Alien: resurrection
    Shutter island
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunshine: as a few have mentioned, the last bit was from another film or something, horrible.
    Ruby Sparks: The ending is pure Hollywood, and doesn't sit with the rest of the film atall.
    Prometheus: Gets more and more silly, then cops out an actual ending in favour of 'see you in part 2'.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alien 3 gets exponentially worse as it gets closer to its end. The first half is quite good, with Newt's autopsy, Ripley exploring the colony, making friends and even getting laid. I loved the funeral speech inter-cut with the alien emerging from the dog. Once the aliens are adult it reverts to being like every other alien film. And then it gets silly, with the Company turning up etc.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mmmm, I think you're confusing Stephen King's novels with their screen adaptations that are invariably better than the badly-written books from which they are adapted.

I think most people would argue that quite often King's books are rather better than the adaptations of them. Where the poster you quote is wrong is that there are plenty of exceptions to this.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Kill List - the ultimate example.

The ending really does come out of nowhere and adds nothing to the story.

Although it is not a terrible ending I would to see a version of Se7en where Mills didn't shoot....
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vertigo
  • TheIllusionistTheIllusionist Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    Howjo wrote: »
    i'm going to put a vote for Armageddon, felt it was great up unti the landed on the meteor then became too silly

That's a shocking film altogether. Complete pile of tosh from start to finish. I thought it actually got better as it went along due to more wooden actors getting killed.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I can remember, the ensemble thriller 'Death Trap' starring Christopher Reeve, Michael Caine and Dyan Cannon (?) spends its first two-thirds going satisfyingly everywhere but where you think, and then unravels rather prosaically. I think that tends to be a general pattern with 'build the hermetic mystery up for the first hour' type films overall, unfortunately, when the point comes they realise that 'explanations' can be staved off no longer.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what I can remember, the ensemble thriller 'Death Trap' starring Christopher Reeve, Michael Caine and Dyan Cannon (?) spends its first two-thirds going satisfyingly everywhere but where you think, and then unravels rather prosaically. I think that tends to be a general pattern with 'build the hermetic mystery up for the first hour' type films overall, unfortunately, when the point comes they realise that 'explanations' can be staved off no longer.

I remember watching that in my early teens back in the 80s, I didn't see that twist coming, but I enjoyed the ending. Haven't seen it since so I wonder how it would hold up now, but as it stands I have fond memories of it.
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Signs. Brilliant til the last 10 minutes.

Terrible film from start to finish. It's one of those highly rated films where you wait with trepidation for the good bits but it remains consistently dire throughout
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    SKY LINE:

started great carried on being great, and then its almost like the writer started taking acid right before they get snatched on the ship and the brains get moved around
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only film that immediately comes to my mind is..
    ZODIAC.

It's really compelling and exciting for the first hour and a half,then it completely goes off at a tangeant! And it's SO long.

I don't agree about "No Country For Old Men". I love it's low-key ending.
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deathtrap is still one i watch every couple of years, doesnt end terribly at all and still a good movie.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that the last 5 minutes of 'Enemy of the State' spoilt what was a very good film up until then.
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of years back I watched The Lovely Bones, (I think that was the title.) It was about a young girl being murdered by a paedophile, she continued to watch the goings on from the other side, along with other girls who were also murdered by the same man.

I thought it was a great film, BUT the ending was so dire, it ruined the film totally. I know many of you may have seen it, so there is no need for me to retell it here.

It was the most terribly frustrating ending I have ever seen in a film, it just did not give a satisfying ending at all. Shame really.
  • Stewie_CStewie_C Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baghdad Cafe. Set in a roadstop on route 66 with two women that are polar opposites being flung together by situations and adversity. It's very "European" cinema and charts how they manage to slowly get along and become freinds. However, rather than leave it at the point where they can tolerate each other they launch into an utterly ridiculous song and dance routine. WTF????
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    I just watched Kill List last week - The last ten minutes is like a completely different film :confused: Huge let down!

So yeah, that and from Dusk 'til Dawn and Jeepers Creepers for me too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the case of the adaptation of The Mist, wasn't it eerie to see H P Lovecraft's "Cthulhu" rumoured to make an appearance?
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a shocking film altogether. Complete pile of tosh from start to finish. I thought it actually got better as it went along due to more wooden actors getting killed.

You can't get worse than watching Ben Afleck tell Bruce Willis that he loves him whilst bawling like a little girl. You just wanted Willis to shout out "oh for god's sake, grow a pair you baby!"
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    belomb wrote: »
    AI.

Basically two completely different films stapled together. Could have something to do with the Spielberg/Kubrick thing...

I think the general consensus is that AI should have ended with David praying to blue fairy under water. The bit after that was kubrick.
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,855
    Forum Member
    The one that springs to mind is There will be Blood with Daniel Day Lewis, starts so well, ruthless oil baron etc... and then just completely loses its way at the half way mark, I've never wanted a film to be over more than that one :P
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Django Unchained.