New dect phone makes internet drop

Would this happen with any new phone i wonder. I've just bought a new dect phone and can't understand how the net drops, lights go out on router.
Tried plugging old phone in and it works okay. ANy ideas? Ta

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume you are connecting the phone through a filter? Is it on the same socket as the router or an extension? There will be a filter on the router socket but you also need one on the extension. The exception to that being if you use a filtered faceplate on the master socket.

If you are using a filter then try a different one. Always possible the filter is faulty.
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Just using same system as previous phone. Through a filter. The second phone doesnt need to be plugged into the phone socket so no filter on there.
    Must be the phone. Internet works with my previous phone
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    You could try plugging the base unit into a phone extension socket (if you have one) with it's own filter. I don't know why or if it would make any difference, just a thought.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cordless phones are known as a possible source of interference for WiFi signals, same is true of microwaves.

Potential solution is to change to using ethernet cable to connect to the router and potential mitigation is to change router to use 5GHz frequency instead of 2.4GHz.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Just using same system as previous phone. Through a filter. The second phone doesnt need to be plugged into the phone socket so no filter on there.
    Must be the phone. Internet works with my previous phone
    You cannot say it is the phone without doing some very basic tests.

If you have another filter then try that. Just because one phone works with a filter and another does not is no indication that the filter is OK and the phone is not.

Another trick that I have seen used (with Sky boxes in particular) that might work is to plug another filter into the filter you have the router on and plug the phone into this second filter. So you are in effect double filtering the phone.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the DECT base station right next to the router?
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was the old phone cordless? If not (or even if it was), it could well be radio interference due to the DECT base station.being too near the router
    Forum Member
    Bout 6ft away from router...seems to be working okay now as i speak...wasnt earlier..strange!
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    albertd wrote: »
    Was the old phone cordless? If not (or even if it was), it could well be radio interference due to the DECT base station.being too near the router

In theory dect should be about 500mhz south of WiFi.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    In theory dect should be about 500mhz south of WiFi.
    Maybe so, but if it is strong enough any signal could cause a problem, whatever frequency it is on.
    Forum Member
    albertd wrote: »
    Maybe so, but if it is strong enough any signal could cause a problem, whatever frequency it is on.

Nope.
    Forum Member
    Wonder if it would happen with any new Dect phone.
    It was an old dect phone i had before
    Forum Member
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Wonder if it would happen with any new Dect phone.
    It was an old dect phone i had before

they should all be the same. DECT is standardise.

it could be issuing interference. but it shouldn't.
  • LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am trying to remember what I once knew about DECT and WiFi interfering with each other.

I think the advice was to choose a high channel number on the router (this is when 2.4GHz Wireless-G was the current standard), and that channels 1 and 2 were the most susceptible to being knobbled by DECT.
    Forum Member
    Loobster wrote: »
    I am trying to remember what I once knew about DECT and WiFi interfering with each other.

I think the advice was to choose a high channel number on the router (this is when 2.4GHz Wireless-G was the current standard), and that channels 1 and 2 were the most susceptible to being knobbled by DECT.

DECT is at 1.9ishGHz