Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

Comments

• MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    It does seem strange that Marvel took so long to release a trailer for GOTG especially as the characters are unknown to the general public.Maybe it would have been better to have a teaser trailer released around the same time as Thor 2 especially as Thor 2 does hint towards GOTG!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why didn't they get individual movies first?

This is not going to compare well with The Avengers is it?
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    dmuk wrote: »

What on earth makes you think that each of these deserved their own film?

They're hardly Iron Man, Thor, Hulk etc, are they?
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you seriously asking why rocket racoon, drax, and star-lord haven't had solo movies?

The same reason brother voodoo, devil dinosaur and micromax haven't
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

First thing that came to mind: Farscape.
    Forum Member
    I really liked this new trailer for Guardians Of The Galaxy and it does show that Marvel will be taking us to new places with this film.I can't wait to see it but I still worry about how it will do at the box office!

I can't wait to see it on the 31st July!
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm guessing that it's because Marvel tend to release films for individual characters if they have proven in the comics that they are strong primary characters in their own right, and they know that the public liked those comics because they bought them.
    With films about superheroes which are an unknown quantity when it comes to appealing to the public on their own it's going to be a lot riskier.
    Producing a film is risky enough as it is anyway.

I don't know if this is going to compare well to The Avengers or not, but it seems that it's going to be a very different kind of movie. So I don't see why both films can't be highly regarded on their own merits.
    As long as its a good film there shouldn't be a problem in theory.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Blocked.
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New trailer has me even more excited!!

Rocket doesn't sound bad as I thought he would, and Groot is sooo awesome!

You can see it here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=591299944318365
    Forum Member
    Well reports are saying that Thanos will appear again in Guardians Of The Galaxy but this time he will be voiced by Josh Brolin!
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've liked most of the Marvel movies to date, but have zero desire to see this one. No idea who these characters are, or where they fit in, within the Marvel Universe. Hoping it's not a necessity to see this, to enjoy and understand the rest of the forthcoming films.

GOTG just looks too odd and quirky, and really see this struggling to connect with the mainstream audience. I'm sure Marvel realise this won't hit Avengers big, but this might just prove too leftfield for the masses.
    Forum Member
    I understand your concerns about this ASIFZED as I've mentioned before that I think Guardians may struggle to appeal to a mainstream audience because it properly will be quite quirky.Although I think that Marvel know this and they also know that this film is a big gamble but its one that they are willing to take!

I think it will have some influence over future Marvel films as I believe that Thanos is being built up as the main villian for the third Avengers film and he is part of the Guardians universe.Especially with Gamora being his daughter!
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess Marvel should be applauded for trying something different. They of course have their stock heroes to fall back on, so they can afford a gamble and any mild reputational damage will be shortlived, once Avengers 2 is released. But GOTG looks too Green Lantern-ish, for its own good.

I think this will be a medium sized hit, playing more to a hard core comics crowd. On the the upside though, not being an overtly super hero film, this might alleviate some of the costumed crime fighter fatigue that's started to set in a bit.. certainly for me, anyway.
    Forum Member
    Yeah I think that's why Marvel have decided to release Guardians Of The Galaxy now as they can afford to take a risk even if it doesn't pay off!

I can't see the similarity with Green Lantern though apart from Glenn Close Nova who are basically the Marvel version of the Green Lanterns!

You could be right that Guardians may help the growing fatigue from the constant superhero films by being different to the majority of superhero films that have come before.I do think that if GOTG was a medium size hit then that would be considered a success for Marvel!
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cinema-going public has always had a problem with off-centre science fiction/superhero movies, and GOTG has John Carter/Green Lantern/Firefly/Ender's Game written all over it... I personally can't wait to see it, but these kind of super-niche cult genre films can have real trouble crossing over to the mainstream - Pacific Rim struggled last year, and even Godzilla has underperformed, though the nature of worldwide distribution these days means it's very difficult for a big movie to actively lose money during its lifetime...

BTW, my wild and totally speculative conspiracy theory is that GOTG test screenings are going badly, and that's why Edgar Wright has been kicked off Ant-Man - Marvel don't mind testing the water with one strange movie, but don't want to spend 2 years making another one that they know full well isn't going to "open"...
    Forum Member
    In all fairness that new trailer looks a marked improvement. The breezily humourous tone and Marvel brand are its biggest selling points, which could offset viewers fears that it's too concept-heavy or primarliy aimed at a certain niche audience. Another plus is that It does have an opening weekend all to itself (Aug 1), but that late summer schedule has some strongish releases to follow (Turtles, Expendables, Sin City) which could prove a problem.

I'm not sure what's expected of it regarding takings - probably at the lower end of the superhero scale perhaps ($300 - 350m), but as said space-fantasy is a tricky sell these days and when a major brand like Star Trek splutters out at $467m, it's a tough one to call. But it's obviously going to need word of mouth.
    Forum Member
    Its going to be a tough sell but I think the majority of the Marvel fans will go to see it but its how it actually goes over with the general public that will be interesting to see what happens!

Guardians is needed though to break Marvel films out of their comfort zone and if it does well then we could see a whole different type of Marvel films in the future!
    Forum Member
    Nice new trailer for GOTG which is a different in tone to the previous trailers and shows some new footage as well!
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem with the first trailer was that it concentrated on the comedy elements too much.
    The problem with the new trailer is that it has concentrated on the serious elements with some comedy at the end.

The overall result is that the trailers are failing to convey exactly what type of film it is and I haven't even seen or heard any real buzz about it.

I have a feeling, like someone else said, that this has the potential to flop hard. John Carter hard. And I think it might just do that.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    The problem with the first trailer was that it concentrated on the comedy elements too much.
    The problem with the new trailer is that it has concentrated on the serious elements with some comedy at the end.

The overall result is that the trailers are failing to convey exactly what type of film it is and I haven't even seen or heard any real buzz about it.

I have a feeling, like someone else said, that this has the potential to flop hard. John Carter hard. And I think it might just do that.

Maybe, but people can grasp the GOTG idea from the trailers- Dirty Dozen-ish bunch
    of anti-heroes have humour-tinged space adventure. Whereas someone who'd never
    heard of John Carter would have no idea what was going on from
    the trailers:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcV7aXL8txU
    (Wait, it's
    like Sherlock Holmes! No, Deadwood! No, Game of Thrones! Now it's Avatar!
    WTF is going on?)
    Forum Member
    Not quite getting it from that new trailer. A tad 'generic space action' about it. The previous trailer was better.

It'll be interesting so see how they square with the film itself of course.
    Forum Member
    A lot of people on here seem to struggle with GOTG but maybe they should just give Marvel a chance to do something different as this may work and not end up a flop like John Carter!

Marvel needs new superheroes like Guardians to work as there are only so many Iron Man and Thor sequels that they can make before people start to get bored of it!
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know what everyone's so worried about it. I think it's going to be successful whether people know GOTG or not. With Marvel behind it it'll put bums on seats and with positive reviews it'll create good word of mouth meaning more bums on seats. Win-win. Can't wait to see it myself.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Zoe Saldana vs. Karen Gillan. IT'S TREK VS. WHO SMACKDOWN TIME! ;-)

See also: David Tennant vs. Patrick Stewart in "Hamlet" (2009) .