Do you reckon Lady Gaga will be doing the Super Bowl Half-Time next year?

tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think it could be a real possibility as by then we would've had a new single and a new album so she will be back in the music again.

Comments

• markmc2k5markmc2k5 Posts: 3,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, a rock band will do it next year. Almost certainly Bon Jovi because the Super Bowl is in New Jersey.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    No.

Madonna and Beyonce performing at the Superbowl has led some fans to thinking the half time is just a promotional opportunity for popstars. Well, it's not. Madonna's half time special being a success is probably the reason why Beyonce managed to book a performance, but I think next year they'll go back to their roots and have a country or a rock artist performing and definitely more than one headliners, like they did in the past. U2, Shania Twain and Bruce Springsteen all did an incredible job at previous half time shows, so maybe they'll opt for a performer similar to those artists next year. :cool:
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Superbowl had been after Madonna for years. The dates finally worked out and she used it as a huge promo tool to launch her US tour. Exactly what Beyonce is also doing. I have to hand it to Beyonce. I'm not her biggest fan but so far she has made sure 2013 is all about her. I think she is set for a very succesful era.

Lady Gaga might be lucky enough to do it one day if her fame holds up but I doubt it will be anytime soon. She doesn't have the same appeal in America that the likes of Britney, Beyonce and even Madonna have! they seem to be sick of her over there at the moment. Thats overexposer for you.

I actually reckon it will be Justin Timberlake who gets next years gig. Superbowl love him and its time for his return. Plus they will probably opt for a male performer after two females in a row.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    That'd be great but I think a male artist should get to do it next year. Eminem, Jay Z or Justin Timberlake would be great and would bring in huge ratings too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    Superbowl had been after Madonna for years. The dates finally worked out and she used it as a huge promo tool to launch her US tour. Exactly what Beyonce is also doing. I have to hand it to Beyonce. I'm not her biggest fan but so far she has made sure 2013 is all about her. I think she is set for a very succesful era.

Lady Gaga might be lucky enough to do it one day if her fame holds up but I doubt it will be anytime soon. She doesn't have the same appeal in America that the likes of Britney, Beyonce and even Madonna have! they seem to be sick of her over there at the moment. Thats overexposer for you.

I actually reckon it will be Justin Timberlake who gets next years gig. Superbowl love him and its time for his return. Plus they will probably opt for a male performer after two females in a row.
    He's probably blacklisted after participating in Janet's "wardrobe malfunction" back in 2004. Didn't the media blame them that they did it on purpose? I don't think he'll perform at the Superbowl anytime soon. If they don't want a third female in a row, they'll go for a band.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    He's probably blacklisted after participating in Janet's "wardrobe malfunction" back in 2004. Didn't the media blame them that they did it on purpose? I don't think he'll perform at the Superbowl anytime soon. If they don't want a third female in a row, they'll go for a band.

No Justin came away from that completely unscathed. It was Janet who took all the blame and her career was left in tatters. She has never recovered from it. Whereas Justin actually went from strength to strength.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like to see some variety so maybe not a pop act. Aren't Fleetwood mac doing a comeback? Maybe they might do it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    No.

They wouldn't have three pop females in a row. This is supposed to be a sporting event, after all.

Gaga is probably on the wish list though. She'd cause the kind of hype/coverage they'd be keen for. Probably a tad cautious though considering her tendency to rub conservatives the wrong way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.

They wouldn't have three pop females in a row. This is supposed to be a sporting event, after all.

Gaga is probably on the wish list though. She'd cause the kind of hype/coverage they'd be keen for. Probably a tad cautious though considering her tendency to rub conservatives the wrong way.

They don't need hype or extra coverage. The superbowl is America's biggest TV event. It isn't like the VMAs where they book a performer to bring in headlines.

Also Gaga being controversial is no reason to suggest they would be cautious on asking her. If Gaga did anything she shouldn't do then its her career that would suffer. Just like Janet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Bon Jovi for the win!
    Forum Member
    They don't need hype or extra coverage. The superbowl is America's biggest TV event. It isn't like the VMAs where they book a performer to bring in headlines.

Also Gaga being controversial is no reason to suggest they would be cautious on asking her. If Gaga did anything she shouldn't do then its her career that would suffer. Just like Janet.

It's not a question of need. The increased global coverage and cultural relevance the half time show has enjoyed recently thanks to major pop acts will prove tempting for them to continue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member

Janet didn't do anything. If it was anyone's fault, it was Justin's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not a question of need. The increased global coverage and cultural relevance the half time show has enjoyed recently thanks to major pop acts will prove tempting for them to continue.
    I don't think you fully understand the Superbowl...
    Janet didn't do anything. If it was anyone's fault, it was Justin's.

But Justin's career didn't suffer from it. Janet's career ended overnight. It was her tit on display to millions of kids. Not Justin's.
  • ItsTimmyTimeItsTimmyTime Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Justin came away from that completely unscathed. It was Janet who took all the blame and her career was left in tatters. She has never recovered from it. Whereas Justin actually went from strength to strength.

If I remember correctly he openly criticised her for planning it as a stunt, and that he was ashamed to be a part of it. It really crippled a friendship they had. He was like a rat off a sinking ship.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member

It is the half time entertainment. The 100m+ people who watch it watch it for the game.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member

The Black Eyed Peas are less Republican-friendly than Lady Gaga is, and they performed recently iirc.

However, the reason Lady Gaga shouldn't perform is because she's too recent. She's only been around a few years. Beyonce is fairly recent as well (her solo career started about 10 years ago), but she was with Destiny's Child before so I think she's allowed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    The Black Eyed Peas are less Republican-friendly than Lady Gaga is, and they performed recently iirc.

However, the reason Lady Gaga shouldn't perform is because she's too recent. She's only been around a few years. Beyonce is fairly recent as well (her solo career started about 10 years ago), but she was with Destiny's Child before so I think she's allowed.

What does being recent have anything to do with the Superbowl?

Why would Bon Jovi do it specifically because it's in Jersey? When has that ever mattered? If that is the case, why isn't Lil Wayne doing it this year? Beyonce is from Texas.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GaGa hasn't been around long enough to be asked to do the Superbowl.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GaGa hasn't been around long enough to be asked to do the Superbowl.

When Nelly performed in 04, the year of Janet, Justin, and Diddy, he had only been around for four years.
    Forum Member
    I don't think you fully understand the Superbowl....
    It is the half time entertainment. The 100m+ people who watch it watch it for the game.

I was referring to global coverage and cultural relevance of the spectacle around the Super Bowl, not the game itself. It's beyond a football game, as evidenced by the hype surrounding the entertainment, the advertising frenzy and sometimes even who sings the National Anthem. It's all part of the event.

It comes down to money. There is a lot more to be made if the half time show in itself is a global event.
    Eric_Blob wrote: »

In what way?

I do agree that 5 years in the game is too soon. There are others who have earned their place ahead in the queue.
  • elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How long do you think an act should have been around for before doing the Super Bowl?
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,098
    Forum Member
    sjp07 wrote: »
    When Nelly performed in 04, the year of Janet, Justin, and Diddy, he had only been around for four years.

Yeah but it wasn't just Nelly, it was Nelly, Janet, Justin and Diddy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pothuthic wrote: »
    Yeah but it wasn't just Nelly, it was Nelly, Janet, Justin and Diddy

So? I think this is the first Superbowl since U2 to only have one performer. Who's to say if GaGa wouldnt do it with someone else if she did do it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    No.

Madonna and Beyonce performing at the Superbowl has led some fans to thinking the half time is just a promotional opportunity for popstars. Well, it's not. Madonna's half time special being a success is probably the reason why Beyonce managed to book a performance, but I think next year they'll go back to their roots and have a country or a rock artist performing and definitely more than one headliners, like they did in the past. U2, Shania Twain and Bruce Springsteen all did an incredible job at previous half time shows, so maybe they'll opt for a performer similar to those artists next year. :cool:

AGREED!

tbh i never even knew what the Super Bowl was before the Janet Jackson incident :/ but now it seems with these big pop stars performing which is good and all. but it overshadows the game As many might be tuning in to watch their fave star put on a bit of a show i imagine that triple that are actually just there for the game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn`t be keen on Gaga doing it tbh it`d be one long ten minute conference of how you were "Born this Waaaayyy" And her screaming "Put your paws up" No thanks