Underrated Horror films...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
Forum Member
I think one of the most underrated Horror films is The Strangers. Tense, brutal, and a very good ending. (imho)

Any more?

Comments

• JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    Silent Hill

Not sure if I like it more than alot of the critics did because of the games but I thought it was very very creepy and scared me way more than much more successful horror films have.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [REC]

Slither

End of the Line

The Last Seven
  • ruddigerruddiger Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    [REC]

Slither

End of the Line

The Last Seven

.REC is Not underrated :eek:

Mine would be Jeepers Creepers .
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    I got home a couple of weeks ago about 11.30 and, unusually, came in through the back door. My missus was watching a film with Keither Sutherland ( I think it was called Mirrors)
    She didn't hear me and didn't know I was stood behind her until she turned around. Judging from the height she leaped screaming from the chair , this film is underrated.:D
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Mimic (1997)

It's well known that this was a troubled production and the end result is not to del Toro's liking in many respects but it's far better than its reputation.

The Last Broadcast (1998)

A micro-micro budget film but very effective nontheless. Unfortunately overshadowed by the later Blair Witch Project (which I like also).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is strangers a remake of Ils (Them) ?
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dolls
    In the mouth of madness
    Maniac cop
    Candyman
    Brain damage
    Basket case
    Boneyard
    Hellraiser: Inferno
    Puppetmaster
    Prince of darkness
  • MobolocoMoboloco Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Midnight Meat Train, alot was put off seeing it because it had vinnie jones as one of the main characters. I was really impressed with it.
    If you like tense,dark,mystery,gorey movies... then check it out. It is a bit brutal in certain parts.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0805570/

I like it most because it suprises you in regards to the story.
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Changling with George C Scott.
  • jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    Child's Play.
    Now roped in with the other "Chucky" movies but it's way better than the comedic sequels. A very neat little chiller.

April Fools Day (original)
    Some found it boring and silly. But I thought it was way before its time and a good twist on the slasher film
  • crossbonescrossbones Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »
    Dolls
    In the mouth of madness
    Maniac cop
    Candyman
    Brain damage
    Basket case
    Boneyard
    Puppetmaster
    Prince of darkness

what an awesome list of films you have chosen here mialicious :cool::)

i think the remake of The Ring is underrated. i like it.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    The two Dr Phibes films with Vincent Price, there are some really magnificently gruesome scenes and ideas in those films.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jenzen wrote: »
    Silent Hill
    I like it because it's visually beautiful and I like the soundtrack. I've not played the game; I suspect most films made from games get rated badly by people who liked the game and can't bear to see any changes.

I like a lot of sequels, which most people hate. Including Hellraiser II and Saw II and Omen II. I like digging into the backgrounds and getting more depth on the characters.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    eduble wrote: »
    No. They're just rather similar. The Strangers is by some way the better film though.
    Dolls
    In the mouth of madness
    Maniac cop
    Candyman
    Brain damage
    Basket case
    Boneyard
    Puppetmaster
    Prince of darkness
    These gems do need a bit more mainstream love, but rest assured they are highly regarded in horror film circles.

btw - Silent Hill. Some visually arresting moments and a nice creepy feel to it at times. Shame I couldn't make head nor tail of the plot.
  • SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dolls

This film absolutely destroyed me when I was a yout. My oldest sister rented the film out with her mate for a sleepover, watched it with them, ended up absolutely traumatised and couldn't sleep on my own for days after that. I must have been about 4-5.

Silent Hill: beautiful to look at and was doing great until they introduced the church people.
  • JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    Thats the thing with Silent Hill because it grabbed me so much visually I dont think I was too bothered about the plot :D

Bit like watching a David Lynch movie lol
  • Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,420
    Forum Member
    I got home a couple of weeks ago about 11.30 and, unusually, came in through the back door. My missus was watching a film with Keither Sutherland ( I think it was called Mirrors)
    She didn't hear me and didn't know I was stood behind her until she turned around. Judging from the height she leaped screaming from the chair , this film is underrated.:D

+1 but then ive always had a thing about mirrors and creepy things happening so this was literally like my worst nightmare!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    [REC]

Slither

End of the Line

The Last Seven

I agree totally about slither ..great film .
    But ....the last seven WTF seriously ? awful awful film complete rip off of reeker 1& 2 .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seconds with Rock Hudson... never been able to watch it a second time... psychological horror rather than blood-n-guts...

The Stone Tape :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Event Horizon, scared me stupid, really got into my head!
  • ultrosultros Posts: 8,504
    Forum Member
    Ghost House (1988) Is a hidden gem in my opinion.If you used to go to video rental shops in the late 80's you probably saw the cover of it (It had a girl holding a clown doll standing in front of a creepy house).
    It had bad acting and some dodgy special effects,but it was really creepy and lots of fun,with that '80's horror' charm that was so cool :cool:

+ It had this really freaky nursery rhyme type song/chant that used to start whenever something bad was about to happen :eek:
  • WillbertWillbert Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spendleb wrote: »
    Event Horizon, scared me stupid, really got into my head!

I first saw this when I had had a heavy smoke. I was glued, terrified, to my seat for its entirety. Top film.
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member

To me it's a remake, they are incredibly similar, but they say 'it's not'... :rolleyes:

The French film Ils/Them is far superior. Strangers isn't underrated, Ils/Them is.

Mirrors isn't underrated either, see the better original film called Into The Mirror.

:p
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenzen wrote: »
    Silent Hill

Yeah, got to agree there. Didn't really scare me or anything but I thought it was pretty well done and quite atmospheric.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noroi (The Curse)
    Session 9
    Gidam (Epitaph - warning: it's a bit surreal if you're not into that sort, but it's a good film)
    Martin
    Frailty
    The City of the Dead
    Shutter (not the remake)
    The Uncertain Guest
    Trick 'r Treat (one of better horror anthologies; all stories have connections with each other, leaving no loose ties)
    Peeping Tom (not quite a horror, but a good, creepy thriller)
    Home Movie
    Pandorum (I still have a row with two friends over this)
    Cube
    Eyes Without a Face
    The Eye (this is the first film that made me cover my eyes during that lift scene. Awful ending, but Near Dark still holds the Worst Cop-Out Ending award.)
    The Serpent and the Rainbow
    The Descent
    Rinne (Reincarnation)
    The Living Death (aka Possessed)

Most of the list are better seen as eerie or creepy mystery/thriller films than straightforward Boo!Horror films.

No way is Slither a horror film. It's fun and darkly funny, like Tremors, The Frighteners, The Prophecy, Bubba Ho-Tep, Zombieland , Evil Dead and The Loved Ones (I don't like gore films, but this Aussie film is worth seeing). I loved The Changeling. The sight of a red ball still gives me the creeps. I adored Candyman.