BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I took an instant dislike to Stephen Nolan ..........he appeared to be the latest in a line of populist right wing presenters like Littlejohn, Ferrari, etc............the kind of people i don't like, radio Daily Mail types

Maybe I'm doing him a disservice but i always turn it off now when he comes on

I think he's just poor at interviewing on anything vaguely controversial & I know NI is part of UK but the stories from there he does are just too local to there - I know its being more fair & less london/se focus (though all seems to be Manchester based now of course!)but its got little interest I think to majority of audience in UK

I just think there's so many people want a chance to broadcast I can't see why its a good decision to fly him over & put him up in a hotel at our expense when plenty of talent to choose from without doing that?
    However I never ever thought him right wing at all much more left but have I got that wrong?
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jane Garvey (Mrs Adrian Childs) and Peter Allen formed a good double act............Anita was good as well

I seem to remember that Edwina Currie had her own 5Live show after she left politics and was a pretty good broadcaster

I quite like Richard Bacon
  • ch958ch958 Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    I have well and truly dumped 5 live apart from Danny Baker and the odd football commentary.
    Too dumbed down these days - asking idiot football fans opinions, Rachel Burden unable to string a sentence together.
    It used to have intelligence and it was succesful
    Which idiot thought it needed changing
    and don't start me on Bacon. My God
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I stopped listening to the football phone-ins years ago when the Two Dannies left.................:eek:

The two Dannies had a straightforward philosophy that 6-0-6 was for fans.................and players, managers, journos etc could shove it because they all had plenty of chances to get their viewpoints across

As soon as the two D's left it quickly turned into 'let's hear what Arsene Wenger had to say about today's match'.............and i stopped listening

You make a fair point,but i have to say the sunday 606 with Alan Green is a lot better.
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to enjoy radio fivelive in the day when I was able to listen. I used to enjoy the breakfast show and drive in particular as well as Simon Mayo. But the truth is that the standard simply dropped via weaker presenters and a change of emphasis and so I no longer listen.

I still enjoy the sports section so say from 7pm to 10:30pm on weekday evenings except for Thursdays when they only have chat about sport mostly.I have occasionally overrun and listened to Tony Livesey but frankly I see no reason to tune into him either.

So from a keen listener I would say that over time I have cut my listening to fivelive to say a fifth of what it was or less. I do not believe that I have changed instead it has been the station.
  • Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redvers36 wrote: »
    I used to enjoy radio fivelive in the day when I was able to listen. I used to enjoy the breakfast show and drive in particular as well as Simon Mayo. But the truth is that the standard simply dropped via weaker presenters and a change of emphasis and so I no longer listen.

I still enjoy the sports section so say from 7pm to 10:30pm on weekday evenings except for Thursdays when they only have chat about sport mostly.I have occasionally overrun and listened to Tony Livesey but frankly I see no reason to tune into him either.

So from a keen listener I would say that over time I have cut my listening to fivelive to say a fifth of what it was or less. I do not believe that I have changed instead it has been the station.

I expect they have lost many of the more 'intelligent' listeners.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Mills wrote: »
    I expect they have lost many of the more 'intelligent' listeners.

so what other stations are people switched to instead?
    As there's a lack of talk stations anyway....
    I try & listen to LBC when I can & BBC London tho have to be web based now as I live in SW these days...
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane Garvey (Mrs Adrian Childs)

Haven't you heard? They got divorced years ago.

I am heartily sick and tired of the tedious 'human interest' interviews that dominate both Nolan and Derbyshire's shows - or rather 'dabbling in the souls of vulnerable people'.

I swear Vic Derbyshire asked a woman to "describe finding your dead son's body". How does this illuminate a situation in any way? Naturally, the poor woman ended up in tears.

Both presenters seem determined to exploit as many distressed people as possible for what they mistakenly perceive as 'interesting radio'.

I'm bored rigid of Nolan constantly interrupting his far more intelligent guests. Last week he spoke to Terry Waite, who was actually speaking in a philosophical way about the nature of forgiveness. It made me think, and opened my mind. Nolan constantly interrupted him making crass points till Waite himself was annoyed. If Nolan just shuts up for 5 minutes, he might actually learn something. But then his idea of deprivation is to be without a Mars Bar. :rolleyes:

There's no doubt that the station is considerably dumbed down to what it once was, with proper journalists like Vincent Hanna, Eddie Mair, etc. When John Inverdale covered Drive recently, he brought a natural intelligence and panache that the dreary old git that is Peter Allen can only dream of.

Rachel Burden, Nicky Campbell and the Sports Reporter George on Breakfast are far too often just having in jokes with each other, forgetting to BROADcast to the listeners, which is very annoying. It's a programme that sounds like it's more fun to work on than listen to. Doesn't help that Campbell thinks he's an erudite man of letters, or the next Jeremy Paxman when he's really Richard Madeley in disguise. :yawn:

When 5Live is at it's best, are occasions like the Ryder Cup in Chicago recently. Continuous rolling coverage of live sport that allows for interesting conversation in between shots, anchored by John Inverdale, with mostly good reporters, like Alistair Bruce-Ball.

Mark Pougatch is also excellent. Ian Payne is not.

I've just heard that tonight has a new Cycling show presented by Colin Murray.......why not the excellent Simon Brotherton instead? :confused:

Good thread. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    La Rhumba wrote: »

I am heartily sick and tired of the tedious 'human interest' interviews that dominate both Nolan and Derbyshire's shows - or rather 'dabbling in the souls of vulnerable people'.

I swear Vic Derbyshire asked a woman to "describe finding your dead son's body". How does this illuminate a situation in any way? Naturally, the poor woman ended up in tears.

Both presenters seem determined to exploit as many distressed people as possible for what they mistakenly perceive as 'interesting radio'.

I'm bored rigid of Nolan constantly interrupting his far more intelligent guests. Last week he spoke to Terry Waite, who was actually speaking in a philosophical way about the nature of forgiveness. It made me think, and opened my mind. Nolan constantly interrupted him making crass points till Waite himself was annoyed. If Nolan just shuts up for 5 minutes, he might actually learn something. But then his idea of deprivation is to be without a Mars Bar. :rolleyes:

There's no doubt that the station is considerably dumbed down to what it once was, with proper journalists like Vincent Hanna, Eddie Mair, etc. When John Inverdale covered Drive recently, he brought a natural intelligence and panache that the dreary old git that is Peter Allen can only dream of.

Rachel Burden, Nicky Campbell and the Sports Reporter George on Breakfast are far too often just having in jokes with each other, forgetting to BROADcast to the listeners, which is very annoying. It's a programme that sounds like it's more fun to work on than listen to. Doesn't help that Campbell thinks he's an erudite man of letters, or the next Jeremy Paxman when he's really Richard Madeley in disguise. :yawn:

When 5Live is at it's best, are occasions like the Ryder Cup in Chicago recently. Continuous rolling coverage of live sport that allows for interesting conversation in between shots, anchored by John Inverdale, with mostly good reporters, like Alistair Bruce-Ball.

I've just heard that tonight has a new Cycling show presented by Colin Murray.......why not the excellent Simon Brotherton instead? :confused:

I agree with everything you say apart from the Peter Allen comments. I like Inverdale as well but I'd rather he replaced one of the other presenters.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    However I never ever thought him right wing at all much more left but have I got that wrong?

No, you're spot on!!
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^
    Good answer La Rhumba, I agree with most of your points though I don't agree with your assessment of Peter Allen. I do like to listen to him. Bizarrely though, in the early days of 5 Live I used to find him annoying then one day I suddenly warmed to him.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Mills wrote: »
    I agree with everything you say apart from the Peter Allen comments. I like Inverdale as well but I'd rather he replaced one of the other presenters.

I love to see Inverdale on in afernoons and send Bacon back to the late show. Inverdale is one of the best radio broadcasters we have in this country - I have very little interest in golf (especially on the radio) but he managed to make the Ryder Cup coverage appear relevant, interesting and entertaining. Bacon just ruins every sporting event he presents with his obsession with celebrity.
  • Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, I forgot to mention this
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    La Rhumba.........I didn't know that Jane Garvey was divorced from Adrian Childs.........

I agree that where 5L does still come into it's own is during the long sports events like the Ryder Cup and Wimbledon

I don't even follow tennis but often tune in to Inverdale during Wimbledon just becauase it's a good show..............bit like TMS, it's better when it's raining !...............:D

As to what else I listen to now instead of 5Live, I don't really - I just listen to a lot less radio and have the TV on more.
  • SchadenfreudSchadenfreud Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to listen all day, but they've dumbed it down in the chase for ratings that it's almost unlistenable now.
    I still listen on Fridays to the film show, that and the odd football commentary is just about it.

I flick between Sportstalk, Radio Four, Radio Two and my ipod now.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can anybody listen to Victoria Derbyshire's sob stories show, which is increasingly the rape victims show every day?

Can't the sort of people who appear on that show and on Stephen Nolan's show with the same issue be given a show of their own which is aimed at them and the sort of people who want to listen to that sort of thing all the time? I may even listen occasionally.

I understand people have suffered bad experiences through no fault of their own, and I believe such people deserve to be heard, but not daily on a midmorning show that is aimed at a more general audience.

I also think Victoria Derbyshire's show generally may be guilty of covering more issues that are of interest to left-wing people than issues that may be off interest to right-wing people. I don't think this about other talk shows such as the late night shows or the daily phone-in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    La Rhumba.........I didn't know that Jane Garvey was divorced from Adrian Childs.........

I agree that where 5L does still come into it's own is during the long sports events like the Ryder Cup and Wimbledon

I don't even follow tennis but often tune in to Inverdale during Wimbledon just becauase it's a good show..............bit like TMS, it's better when it's raining !...............:D

As to what else I listen to now instead of 5Live, I don't really - I just listen to a lot less radio and have the TV on more.

Unfortunately Inverdale doesn't do Wimbledon radio coverage - these days it's the knowledgable Richard Bacon.
  • Jo VialityJo Viality Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Nolan fans on here must have been really pleased to hear him at 7.00 this evening because of the news from America.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    How can anybody listen to Victoria Derbyshire's sob stories show, which is increasingly the rape victims show every day?.

I work from home and typically have R5L on in the background all day but the radio is usually off when she is presenting. I appreciate that there probably is a need for a more women-friendly show on a station that is commonly criticised for being "Bloke Radio" but it's not for me.
  • Jo VialityJo Viality Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I work from home and typically have R5L on in the background all day but the radio is usually off when she is presenting. I appreciate that there probably is a need for a more women-friendly show on a station that is commonly criticised for being "Bloke Radio" but it's not for me.

I wouldn't describe it as 'bloke radio' whereas listening toTalksport it is obviously aimed at 'blokes'.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Jo Viality wrote: »
    The Nolan fans on here must have been really pleased to hear him at 7.00 this evening because of the news from America.

So you'd have preferred the regular schedule rather than coverage of a major news story?

Your comment perfectly illustrates the difficult job of balancing a news and sports network. But it also illustrates the fact that - just like music - speech content on the radio is always going to be a subjective matter.

I think it's true to say that Five Live had a more "highbrow" style of output in its earliest days, but if you really want that, Radio 4 is there for you.

There seems to be a lot of criticism that Five Live is too tabloid. I don't think there's anything wrong with oferring a lighter news/features mix through the day. But the issue is always going to be when major news and sports events clash - with no way of regularly splitting the output.

So here's a question. Forgetting the financial and frequency issues, would a rolling news network along the lines of 1010 Wins or LBC 1152 work for the BBC? And what would that allow Five Live to do as a station?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    One area in which 5Live is unrivalled is the saturday afternoon or midweek football coverage............I'm listening to the City game now with the sound down on the telly, another match to come at 3, round the grounds when there's any goals, fantastic coverage

I always have my footy courtesy of 5Live even when it's on the telly............although these the delay on TV pictures does ruin it a bit, but basically I'm listening to the radio whilst on my computer and there's time to look up when a goal is scored and see it on telly 5 seconds later
  • Von TrappVon Trapp Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    It seems to have gone really downmarket............the phone ins, the 'populist' tablolid and radio one and two DJ presenters

In the first few years it had more serious broadcasters like Eddie Mair, Julian Worricker etc............they've all gone to BBC News on TV now

My favourite show was Vincent Hanna's politics show..........was it Thursday night ?...........which went on for hours

And of course there was Fi Glover..............grrrrrrrr..........:p

What a surprise a thread on 5 live and somebody mentions dumbing down. The 'serious broadcaster' Eddie Mair used to have a soap update every day on his lunchtime show, very intellectual. Some people seem to want 5 live to be a 24 hour version of the today programme.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Von Trapp wrote: »
    What a surprise a thread on 5 live and somebody mentions dumbing down. The 'serious broadcaster' Eddie Mair used to have a soap update every day on his lunchtime show, very intellectual. Some people seem to want 5 live to be a 24 hour version of the today programme.

That's kind of what I was getting at. I'm often surprised at why some people with apparently such a high opinion of standards and intellect demean themselves by coming on an internet forum.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Terry Waites interview:
    If Nolan just shuts up for 5 minutes, he might actually learn something. But then his idea of deprivation is to be without a Mars Bar. :rolleyes:

Rachel Burden, Nicky Campbell and the Sports Reporter George on Breakfast are far too often just having in jokes with each other, forgetting to BROADcast to the listeners, which is very annoying. It's a programme that sounds like it's more fun to work on than listen to.

I tend to agree with most of what you said really - Nolan forever interrupts everyone -

and I know before the boards on the BBC were closed several people put in freedom of info requests as to how much was spent on his flights and accommodation as opposed to simply getting an already resident presenter....there's no shortage of them is there?

unsurprisingly these were always rejected due to some fudged excuse like competition or journalistic licence so we don't know and never will.....
    but how can it be common sense to fly and put up in a hotel and pick up expenses - particularly the restaurant meals which are hardly going to be small are they ;) when there are presenters a go go in abundance...

the breakfast programme often jars but is far better now the smug incompetence and high opinion of herself that shelagh fogarty bought to the table is gone.....

i think maybe george reilly coming in has made it so cliquey apparently it was similar when on logan's show... but that matt bloke that was there previously on breakfast was dreadful...he thought he was very tough and clever but just awful so don't know if that's the answer either.....

the light entertainment i don't mind as varied but i still don't know why they advertise simon cowell's productions on a public service with its own show to promote.....

i've tried to listen to Radio 4 and while the breakfast slot is fine it switches so often to totally dull articles I just think I'll never be that old that I'll end up listening to it and i don't feel that old now..... :p
    i'm not highbrow or intellectual as such but I'm not dim and I want something in between..

totally agree on simon brotherton too......its indicative of how bbc works give someone a job....they are flavour of the month so they get everything till we get sick of them

instead of thinking...ahh.... a cycling show..... who do we know who's knowledgeable on that? simon? no...he's not in the circle lets give it to Colin again he knows nothing about it so lets give him a go as a layman to connect with the viewers....... ::rolleyes:

Oh! and thanks very much for the nice comment on starting the thread..
This discussion has been closed.