3 GHz ARM processors headed our way in 2014

MeMeMeIMeMeMeI Posts: 990
Forum Member
✭✭
3 GHz ARM processors headed our way in 2014

Mobile processors have been growing faster and faster with each passing generation. What was unthinkable two years ago has just become a common norm today. Back in 2011, a single core ARM Cortex A8 based processor clocked at 1.4 GHz was considered top end. Come 2013, the Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 blisters past everything with its four Krait 400 custom cores clocked at a mind-boggling high 2.3 GHz. These chips are able to perform while being constrained to severely limiting TDPs, as low as 2.5W. Go figure.

Read more: http://vr-zone.com/articles/3-ghz-arm-processors-headed-our-way-in-2014/44470.html#ixzz2ZEiswWMb

Sounds good news for Phones and Tablets if these speed increases do not cause to much of a price rise. fingers crossed:)

Comments

• clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great news for ARM, bet Wilson & Furber never expected their original development to take over the world as it did.

These are going to be more suited to server roles. Other than benchmarks, they give no real world benefit for mobile phones. Unless underclocking them gives improved battery life.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    Great news for ARM, bet Wilson & Furber never expected their original development to take over the world as it did.

These are going to be more suited to server roles. Other than benchmarks, they give no real world benefit for mobile phones. Unless underclocking them gives improved battery life.

With all these crazy super clocked phone CPUs, are they going to have better cooling? Right now these lower clocked quad core chips can run really hot during intensive use like game playing.

These new ones will probably burn your hands off!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    With all these crazy super clocked phone CPUs, are they going to have better cooling? Right now these lower clocked quad core chips can run really hot during intensive use like game playing.

These new ones will probably burn your hands off!

No signs of better cooling so far; even my old iPhone 4S gets damn warm after a little gaming or watching of videos. Be damn useful in the winter, but otherwise ....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No signs of better cooling so far; even my old iPhone 4S gets damn warm after a little gaming or watching of videos. Be damn useful in the winter, but otherwise ....

Not being funny but i got a 2.8ghz quad core cpu in my pc and it has a fan over it to keep it cool. Now we talking sticking a 3ghz quad core cpu in an enclosed very thin case with zero cooling.

Applications are getting more and more demanding, not to mention games.

I am sure we will start seeing these phones meltdown.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    It's not really the main CPU(s) that gets hot in modern phones it's the GPU. 3ghz would be less tasked than a current generation phone cpu and should have better heat to power ratio anyways. I wouldn't say were seeing current gen phones maxing out cpu cycles with games etc, gpu's yes..

They are not pushing the speed of the GPU's quite as hard as the Cpu's. Even though most are integrated we shouldn't see heat increase. If that was the case all mobiles would be switching to Alloy cases. Samsung who arguably has the most powerful phone chip with the S4, is still plastic cased.

CPU's improve heat wise year on year. Compare the i7 from a laptop to the equivalent "speed" Pentium Dual Core the thermal efficiency is far far better. Same with new phone cpu's.
  • MeMeMeIMeMeMeI Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Angry Birds on speed anyone:D
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3GHZ quad core processors will be better then most people's desktop's. Let's be honest these are never going be maxed out. Most people aren't going to max out something even like the Snapdragon 600. It going become like computers graphics are the only thing people will notice a difference in quality. Problem with that is the heating problem as already it is noticeable to a degree. Though I can see smartphones/tablet graphics reaching point of PS3/360 Graphics.
  • MeMeMeIMeMeMeI Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could this cause a improvement in GPU cores then? Might Nvidia or AMD try moving into the market more?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MeMeMeI wrote: »
    Could this cause a improvement in GPU cores then? Might Nvidia or AMD try moving into the market more?

Nvidia already is http://phandroid.com/2013/04/15/battlefield-3-tegra-5/

Tegra 5 which is likely coming out next year is clearly going be a powerful GPU. I haven't heard much from AMD though but it certainly looks like Nvidia are considering it to be an important new way forward.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    Nvidia already is http://phandroid.com/2013/04/15/battlefield-3-tegra-5/

Tegra 5 which is likely coming out next year is clearly going be a powerful GPU. I haven't heard much from AMD though but it certainly looks like Nvidia are considering it to be an important new way forward.

I think the article and video are misleading, I don't think it's showing tegra 5, but a mobile kepler based gpu, i guess for laptops and not smartphones/tablets.

But yep, still agree it is just a matter of time. Could get to the point you won't need consoles or big powerful PCs, just a tablet or smartphone with HDMI out and bluetooth controller connectivity perhaps. 4G speeds will kick in soon too, so i am sure online gaming will be possible too. so next couple of years could get very interesting. provided they got the heat issues under control. There will be a lot of power in these small devices.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    I think the article and video are misleading, I don't think it's showing tegra 5, but a mobile kepler based gpu, i guess for laptops and not smartphones/tablets.

But yep, still agree it is just a matter of time. Could get to the point you won't need consoles or big powerful PCs, just a tablet or smartphone with HDMI out and bluetooth controller connectivity perhaps. 4G speeds will kick in soon too, so i am sure online gaming will be possible too. so next couple of years could get very interesting. provided they got the heat issues under control. There will be a lot of power in these small devices.

Agreed the bad thing is smart phones have already surpassed graphics on a lot of people's computers. Most people have onboard graphics even now and would struggle running some of the games on smartphones real racing 3 or something like that for example. But yeah I could see something like that happening in the future a docking station that is linked up to wireless sending system to a tv.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed the bad thing is smart phones have already surpassed graphics on a lot of people's computers. Most people have onboard graphics even now and would struggle running some of the games on smartphones real racing 3 or something like that for example. But yeah I could see something like that happening in the future a docking station that is linked up to wireless sending system to a tv.

The embedded graphics aren't up with the big NVidia GPUs, but they're more than capable of handling a game like real racing 3, definitely still ahead of mobiles. They can normally cope with the typical benchmark games like Crysis, which the mobiles couldn't.

Even my i7 laptop (HD3k & Nvidia) manages to run Crysis 2 - although it runs smoother when I enable the NVidia chippery :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The embedded graphics aren't up with the big NVidia GPUs, but they're more than capable of handling a game like real racing 3, definitely still ahead of mobiles. They can normally cope with the typical benchmark games like Crysis, which the mobiles couldn't.

Even my i7 laptop (HD3k & Nvidia) manages to run Crysis 2 - although it runs smoother when I enable the NVidia chippery :)

Aah I was over estimating then I apologise for that. I haven't used embedded graphics for years. Last I used it you barely could run anything more than just a monitor web browser programs anything else pushed it beyond it's limit. Nice to hear embedded graphics has improved that much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aah I was over estimating then I apologise for that. I haven't used embedded graphics for years. Last I used it you barely could run anything more than just a monitor web browser programs anything else pushed it beyond it's limit. Nice to hear embedded graphics has improved that much.

Had embedded graphics on my old laptop, you would be lucky to have been able to play tetris on it! so know where you're coming from. Think they aren't too bad now, will play some newer games on lower graphic settings. Of course won't be the best experience, but I think you can get by. The next step will come soon though. Phones in the last 2 years have just become ridiculously powerful.