Britain's Brightest

Comments

• BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, I thought it was obvious from my post :) I'm David Straitjacket, the escapologist from the memory segment.

Sorry :o

It was too early when I posted my original post and didnt realise.

Just watched it back on Catch Up tv. I kept thinking you were going to dislocate your arms by the way you were twisting and turning them :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Sorry :o

It was too early when I posted my original post and didnt realise.

Just watched it back on Catch Up tv. I kept thinking you were going to dislocate your arms by the way you were twisting and turning them :eek:

Nothing to apologise for! It was only a short segment and you weren't expected to remember everything, that's the contestants job. I have dislocated my shoulder doing that escape a few times in the past but on this one I was fine. It was tough for both myself and the quick change guys though. We had gotten warmed up and ready to go, then we ended up waiting behind the set for about an hour as the previous segment was over-running, we had hoped for a 5 minute warning so we could warm up again but that didn't come so we had to run on cold. Not ideal for any very physical task like that.

I did end up pulling a muscle in my back because of it, and Clare Balding was nice enough to come straight out and check on me, but I was totally fine. It just needed a little ice and a days rest.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing to apologise for! It was only a short segment and you weren't expected to remember everything, that's the contestants job. I have dislocated my shoulder doing that escape a few times in the past but on this one I was fine. It was tough for both myself and the quick change guys though. We had gotten warmed up and ready to go, then we ended up waiting behind the set for about an hour as the previous segment was over-running, we had hoped for a 5 minute warning so we could warm up again but that didn't come so we had to run on cold. Not ideal for any very physical task like that.

I did end up pulling a muscle in my back because of it, and Clare Balding was nice enough to come straight out and check on me, but I was totally fine. It just needed a little ice and a days rest.

I'd still be sitting in the jacket if I had it on :D

The couple's act is really good. Seen them before and it always amazes me when they do their costume changes.
  • Telly_FanTelly_Fan Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bargepole wrote: »
    That's easy to say when you've seen the first two shows, but when we were recording it, they didn't show us anything that went on in the previous show recording, and when each contestant takes their turn, the other three are locked away backstage with headphones, so you have no idea what constitutes a good score.

I understand that, but it's obvious that they're expecting people to go over the time, and Clare even says its not as easy as it sounds. I am pretty good at counting seconds so would certainly have a good chance of getting 10 points and am 99% sure I'd have got -1 at worst for that bit. I also think that even while counting the seconds I ought to spot at least one word, maybe even two. You can never know how the other contestants would do of course but if you don't count the seconds you're basically just guessing the time which can easily lead to disaster (as has proved to be the case several times). If you know you can count seconds accurately that has to be the better tactic, surely?

Thanks for the insight into what you actually see during the spelling round by the way - I did wonder.
  • Sammy2Sammy2 Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol at the girl buzzing in as soon as that maths tie breaker question was asked and then thinking about it for about 10s, it would have been very unfair if she had then got it right

Not keen on the 10 point bonus in the chair game as it adds variance and makes trying to find words even less important

Good show though. I fancy myself as a maths guy but I was a bit all over the place trying to divide 23770 by 2 and what not

edit: about Sam working out the 'Open the Laptop' clue, he was just smart about it. He knew it was probably an instruction, so 'the' in the middle was likely. Also he knew there had to be a vowel after the 'p' in the first word which helped and the rest kind of fell into place
  • bargepolebargepole Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Heat 4, with the last 6 of the 24 contestants, is on at 6:45 tonight, and features a Hull University student who can solve a Rubik's Cube in under 7 seconds.

As they don't explain it very well on the show, the scoring system is as follows:

Head-to-heads: 3 rounds, with the winner of each round getting 2 points. If any round is tied, the points roll over to the next round, so each match will finish 6-0 or 4-2.

Round 1: Points are 12-7-4-2-1-0
    (lowest scorer eliminated at the end)

Round 2: 12-7-4-2-0, another elimination

Round 3 (Stop the Clock): 12-7-4-0
    Leading player through to final, 2nd/3rd place do the fight for survival for a semi-final place.
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 145,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is anybody watching tonight?
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't do any of these number ones...:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't do any of these number ones...:(

Hi gs :D
  • marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    Is anybody watching tonight?

I am. The 'erupting volcano' game is back I see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi gs :D

Hi mrb...:)

I'm here but have my new little grandson tonight so I'm a bit distracted!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi mrb...:)

I'm here but have my new little grandson tonight so I'm a bit distracted!

Granny time :D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What IS a street scientist? Sounds like a posh term for a street cleaner ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    OMG - I got that 10/7 bus/London right!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

me too, but it was a bit of guesswok too!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The bizarre rebus game...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    me too, but it was a bit of guesswok too!

Now, now, don't underestimate your powers :D
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member

Me too!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The little boy from Diversity is now quite tall!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the winner of the first show got through on a doddle. I remember being amongst those really criticising this show, but since the second show it has got "100 times" more complicated...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The little boy from Diversity is now quite tall!

I always think it's a girl.... :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ooh last week one got bang on the 21 secs
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always think it's a girl.... :eek:

That's sums "it" up really doesn't it!

Ken