Richard Curtis' Movie is Boring, says woman to his face

candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
Forum Member
✭✭✭
On the One Show last night. Anyone see the old woman slate his movie Notting Hill? Lol, it was awkward but amusing. :D:D:D

Comments

• mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    On the One Show last night. Anyone see the old woman slate his movie Notting Hill? Lol, it was awkward but amusing. :D:D:D

no but i wish i had i cant stand his twee films full of lovable eccentric middle class people :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    and I thought I was the only one who found Notting Hill boring. :confused:
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    18:44 on iPlayer. Although not that tense at all.

Speaking of twee middle class people... The One Show ticks every box.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrblank wrote: »
    no but i wish i had i cant stand his twee films full of lovable eccentric middle class people :D

It’ll be on again at 1pm BBC2.
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually liked Notting Hill (apart from the ridiculous chase near the end), I think the idea of a "normal" person falling in love with a star is quite interesting. But as for the rubbish Love Actually and Vincent and the Doctor.......:mad:
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Notting Hill' was poor but 'Love Actually' stinks, so saccarine it makes your teeth hurt.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I think Richard Curtis is a supremely talented writer. People tend to forget all the other things he has done like Blackadder and Vicar of Dibley.

I love Notting Hill, especially Dylan Moran's and Rhys Ifans' characters and the bit in the travel book shop where the customer keeps asking for various novels or fiction, and Hugh Grant says "Martin. Your Customer" to his colleague.
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    I think the lady was being a bit cheeky & Richard took it good humour
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,887
    Forum Member
    chloeb wrote: »
    I think the lady was being a bit cheeky & Richard took it good humour

Agree. She was a rude old trout.
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    Ella Nut wrote: »

He got his own back..she said her favourite was Casablanca & he replied he found that boring Lol
    Forum Member
    He got his own back..she said her favourite was Casablanca & he replied he found that boring Lol

So he did. And it went right over her head. Woosh!
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    'Notting Hill' was poor but 'Love Actually' stinks, so saccarine it makes your teeth hurt.

I would rather watch either of them in preference to the usual Hollywood type which seem to be judged by the number of completely unrealistic explosions.
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just shows in addition to making repetitive, lame films he can't recognize a good one. Thought the old woman was very funny.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I love Notting Hill, it's my favourite guilty pleasure film, I know it's a bit cheesy but it's not pretending to be anything other than a fun, romantic comedy
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Notting Hill, it's my favourite guilty pleasure film, I know it's a bit cheesy but it's not pretending to be anything other than a fun, romantic comedy

Just a shame it fails on the fun and the comedy.
    Forum Member
    culttvfan wrote: »
    Just shows in addition to making repetitive, lame films he can't recognize a good one. Thought the old woman was very funny.

I don't think for a second he really meant Casablanca was boring, he was just retorting to the old trout. I find it strange that people think it's alright for old folk to be rude, that Alex thingy was laughing like a drain. It's somehow funny because well, they're just being a bit eccentric, oh it's their age,oh she's a right character that one...etc. I've long since come to the conclusion that rude old trouts were almost certainly also rude young trouts.

I know I sound like I'm about to fire off a strongly-worded letter to Points Of View about allowing elderly hooligans onto our screens....

Having said all this, Richard could not have handled it better.
  • candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think for a second he really meant Casablanca was boring, he was just retorting to the old trout. I find it strange that people think it's alright for old folk to be rude, that Alex thingy was laughing like a drain. It's somehow funny because well, they're just being a bit eccentric, oh it's their age,oh she's a right character that one...etc. I've long since come to the conclusion that rude old trouts were almost certainly also rude young trouts.

I know I sound like I'm about to fire off a strongly-worded letter to Points Of View about allowing elderly hooligans onto our screens....

Having said all this, Richard could not have handled it better.

i agree totally. I think alex was laughing out of awkwardness though. It was funny but the old woman was not very dignified. lol
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nothing rude about having an opinion about the crap he churns out that masquerades as entertainment, he is a typical luvvie who writes for luvvies.

Notting Hill was an abortion void of creativeness and charm.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing rude about having an opinion about the crap he churns out that masquerades as entertainment, he is a typical luvvie who writes for luvvies.

I can't understand why so much bad feeling towards him. Both films mentioned are fine for what they are, neither are big expensive productions that rely 99% on special effects. I seem to remember that they wanted a big name for Four Weddings and got Andie MacDowell because she wanted to work with Richard Curtis. I would not be surprised if Julia Roberts worked on Notting Hill for less than what she would normally get in Hollywood.

Perhaps you can elucidate us in what you consider are good films that are not void of creativeness and charm?
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you actually know what an abortion is?
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

Er, so how did that work as a witty retort then? If the woman had actually written Casablanca, I can see how it might be a put-down but she obviously didn't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    mrblank wrote: »
    Can't beat the Monkey Dust sketch on him.
    Forum Member

You are right, there is nothing rude about having an opinion. However, there is a LOT rude about voicing it in the way she did.

I have many opinions on many things, as pretty much everyone does, but I choose not to blurt most of them out as I understand what's appropriate and what isn't.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I think Richard Curtis is a supremely talented writer. People tend to forget all the other things he has done like Blackadder and Vicar of Dibley.

So you're citing The Vicar of Dibley in Curtis' defence??:eek:

As for Blackadder, although 'co-wrote' all of them, the actually funny ones were only 'co-written' by Ben Elton. Coincidence?
    Forum Member
    So you're citing The Vicar of Dibley in Curtis' defence??:eek:

As for Blackadder, although 'co-wrote' all of them, the actually funny ones were only 'co-written' by Ben Elton. Coincidence?

The Vicar of Dibley was enormously successful so why the horrified/shocked face icon I have no idea.