How many digits in a Uk driving license number?

ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
Forum Member
✭✭
I was filling in a form for an online merchanct and one of the questions you had to provide a Uk driving license number, as I don't hold a driving license and I realised it was merely a security check number I just made up a number to put in. Now i have to quote that number to make a transaction and I have total forgotten what number I put in.

If I knew how many digits it was it may help me remember what I put in. Thanks for any help?

And yes I realise I am a moron. :)

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You made one up?

Then you have probably failed the security question - the drivers number is partly made up of your date of birth (rearranged)

It is made up of 16 alpha numeric characters in total
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's made up of your DOB part of your name and some other numbers. Mine is 16 digits long.
  • ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dawson wrote:
    You made one up?

Then you have probably failed the security question - the drivers number is partly made up of your date of birth (rearranged)

Yup I made it up, i assumed it was just one of those things they ask you to input in case you forget your password. They accepted my application and I was able to use the account it was only when I went to deposit into the acocunt that they said they have to call with secuirty checks. i passed them all (obviously) but when i said the number I THOUGHT I'd put in they said no it's longer than that.

The representative said I could just email them the correct number when I remembered it, but I cannot for the life of me imagine what number I used. If it was like a normal password I could take a couple of guesses for what it's likey to be but i can't remember. *sigh* I know it's all my own fault, it was a rash moment of idiocy.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dawson wrote:

It consists of the first 5 letters of your surname, followed by your date of birth in coded form, the initials of your forename(s) and a few characters to distinguish you from anyone else with the same details as you.

Suppose you name was Stephen Martin Pearson, and you were born on 27th August 1971.

Your driver number would look like this:-

PEARS 708271 SM9BN.

The 9BN is the extra characters to used to distinguish you from anyone else with the same details, so it might be any 3 character combination.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ikkleosu wrote:
    I was filling in a form for an online merchanct and one of the questions you had to provide a Uk driving license number, as I don't hold a driving license and I realised it was merely a security check number I just made up a number to put in. Now i have to quote that number to make a transaction and I have total forgotten what number I put in.

If I knew how many digits it was it may help me remember what I put in. Thanks for any help?

And yes I realise I am a moron. :)

Sorry for asking , but what excatly is this online account for ? I have never seen one that asked for a Drving Licence Number before , surely they cant expect all of their customers to drive before allowing them an account ?