Airbus A 380 ... The Super Jumbo ...

Comments

• Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never again will I fly on this plane, bad flight and I hated the whole experience, it's a matter of time before one goes down,
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never again will I fly on this plane, bad flight and I hated the whole experience, it's a matter of time before one goes down,

How morbid! I've had far worse flights on pretty much any other aircraft, the A380 was the smoothest and most comfortable by far.
  • duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How morbid! I've had far worse flights on pretty much any other aircraft, the A380 was the smoothest and most comfortable by far.

Quite right, and like all Airbus aircraft, it uses "fly by wire" technology, controlled by computers, so absolutely nothing can go wrong, go wrong, go wron, go wr, go w, go, g, g, g, g,.............................................................;)
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not morbid, stating a fact, the laws of psychics/nature means it has to happen.
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member

Psychics have no place in nature.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uk Ltd wrote: »
    I still find it amazing that 109 years ago this sort of thing would seen alien to the entire population. That is a huge chunk of metal that flys through the sky!!

The rate technology has expanded is immense.

Another way of looking at how quickly technology has come in such a short time is that the Wright Brothers could have met the Apollo 11 astronauts as their life span would have overlapped.

There will have been people born before powered flight, and seen man walk on the moon.

Needed a couple of pretty nasty wars to speed things up mind...
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    Another way of looking at how quickly technology has come in such a short time is that the Wright Brothers could have met the Apollo 11 astronauts as their life span would have overlapped.

There will have been people born before powered flight, and seen man walk on the moon.

Needed a couple of pretty nasty wars to speed things up mind...

Exactly, Sir Patrick Moore actually met Orville Wright, Wernher von Braun and Neil Armstong.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was one last year to Australia. You can barely feel the thing lift off!
  • xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    If only we could speed up sea travel .
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only time I want to watch a video of a plane is when it's about to crash spectacularly in a huge fireball into a heavily populated city.

Otherwise it's all a bit tiresome.

Hopefully that isn't the reference it comes across as. :mad:
  • Matt_TaylorMatt_Taylor Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    Economy on a Singapore Airlines A380 is pretty decent. And no need for a bar, alcoholic drinks served at your seat on request even in economy :)

I had no problems and really enjoyed my only 380 flight so far with Singapore Airlines:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40172673@N03/7988016184/

Got three more to look forwad to next month.:)
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    Are they back on track again after the cracks on the wings? I imagine Boeing were gloating for while until their recent Dreamliner probs!
    They expect to have the wings on all their aircraft fixed by the end of this year (2013), that was the last I heard of the matter other than several aircraft being grounded due to the problem.
    http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/wing-cracks-airbus-expects-to-solve-a380-problem-by-years-end-20120320-1vgfd.html
  • flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The A380super jumbo has not had its own problems since it first flew and many millions had to spent to make it pass stringent tests before it was allowed a licence.
    There had been some question marks as whether it was too big to fly with passengers and whether the safety concerns was fully looked at before the first plane was allowed to fly with passengers !
    Then offcourse we learn of boeings serious problems they have with the 787. To be honest the 787 had been a liability for being ever since it left the drawing board. One main problem was the fly by wire ,which in my view is open to question as to how safe it is..(now we know) .
    all the aircraft built and all the ones finised and ready to be delivered are in fact grounded anfd production has been shelved until boeing sorts the problems out. The problems are in fact not boeinggs but the companies who supply boeing with substandard finished items.. because of boeings huge out sourceing of production . The contractors simply cannot simply good enough parts. My view is that this could finish boeings production palns for the 787 and they simply must go back to basic ideas for new planes ie the next plane the 797 if and when its rolled out..
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, you're not stating a fact when what you're saying hasn't happened yet. You're making an assumption, whether based on science or not. And there's nothing to say it's 100% inevitable, so I do believe even bringing up something like that is a bit morbid.
  • Dave1979Dave1979 Posts: 1,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite right, and like all Airbus aircraft, it uses "fly by wire" technology, controlled by computers, so absolutely nothing can go wrong, go wrong, go wron, go wr, go w, go, g, g, g, g,.............................................................;)

The Dreamliner is fly by wire too plus very reliable tried and tested electrical compressors and pumps rather than hydraulics that all other planes use. Hope the batteries are good! :D
    Forum Member
    If they are flying regularly into Heathrow, surely someone must have spotted them by now.

Still think that Heathrow have got it wrong with planes banking up over central London to approach Heathrow from due east. Then planes take off heading due west.

It should be aligned for planes to approach from due south and take off in a due north direction, that way the planes approach would be over the Surrey countryside and NOT central London.
  • pmbondpmbond Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you look on flightradar24.com you will see the flightpaths and the type of aircraft. The Emirates A380 that comes into Manchester late mornings sometimes flies over where I live (Huddersfield) but depends on which of the 2 flightpaths they are using.
    Going back to your 1st post , currently the longest non-stop flight is Newark(USA) to Singapore (Singapore Airlines) at 18 hours or so but not an A380.
    Yes , it does make regular visits to Heathrow on a daily basis.
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,883
    Forum Member
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    If they are flying regularly into Heathrow, surely someone must have spotted them by now.

Surely someone would have already read the thread and saw that they are being seen on approach to Heathrow on post 14...
    anniebrion wrote: »
    I see them every day as I can see them on final approach to Heathrow :)
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dad makes part of this plane. He makes a small part of the undercarriage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-ZViuuM2XY&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,118
    Forum Member
    The A380 is one mighty beast. It even visited my local airport Birmingham three years ago for a one-off visit - though had a passenger load of a 777 I believe as the runway at the moment is too short to manage a fully loaded A380.

Emirates fly it into Heathrow five times a day. Malaysian Airlines also fly it in. I presume Singapore fly it in aswell.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    It should be aligned for planes to approach from due south and take off in a due north direction, that way the planes approach would be over the Surrey countryside and NOT central London.

The slight problem is that the winds tend to be east-west so that's the most efficient alignment of runways.
    Forum Member
    the winds tend to be east-west
    end quote

you re way out there, the prevailing winds in UK tend to be South Westerly
  • TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    Surely someone would have already read the thread and saw that they are being seen on approach to Heathrow on post 14...

Yup, they fly over my house every day in to Heathrow. They're usually quieter than other planes, but a whole lot bigger!
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just travelled to Oz on Qantas A380 and 3 times on Emirates A380 which has more leg room.(economy). The take off is amazing, I no longer wear ear plugs and none of the shuddering and bumping of other planes - I am not a brilliant traveller.
    Entertainment centre was world class and had places to plug in my laptop etc though did not use it, plenty of other things to do.
    Always try to travel on A380 now.