New widescreen monitor - picture looks squashed

ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
Forum Member
Hope someone can help me with this.

I bought a new widescreen monitor yesterday after my standard monitor died. Unfortunately it seems to 'squash' all the pictures onscreen. People appear to have short, fat legs etc (when I know they don't).

I used the disk that came with it & it appeared to auto select itself, so I don't know what else to do.

It's an HP2010i monitor & I'm running Vista.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the first thing to do is make sure that you have the correct resolution selected.

In this case it is 1600 x 900 pixels.

Go into video properties and make sure that is selected.
    I don't have Vista, but you would right click on an open area of the desktop and select 'Screen Resolution' or 'Properties' or similar.

If by any chance that resolution isn't offered, then you would have to go to the website for your graphics card and download the latest driver and the accompanying control centre software.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    emptybox wrote: »
    Well the first thing to do is make sure that you have the correct resolution selected.

In this case it is 1600 x 900 pixels.

Go into video properties and make sure that is selected.
    I don't have Vista, but you would right click on an open area of the desktop and select 'Screen Resolution' or 'Properties' or similar.

If by any chance that resolution isn't offered, then you would have to go to the website for your graphics card and download the latest driver and the accompanying control centre software.

Thanks but I don't get anything like that when I right click :(
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The other way to find it is through the 'Control Panel' in the start menu.
    Select 'Hardware and Sound' (or similar) then Display.

(I'm a bit hampered as I moved straight from XP to Windows 7, never stopping on Vista in-between. :D)

See if it correctly identifies your monitor there and see if you can select 1600 x 900 as a screen resolution.

At the moment it sounds like you are still using the same 4:3 ratio resolution used on your old monitor, but your new one has a 16:9 ratio.

It might also help if you told us what your computer is, and what graphics card (or integrated graphics) it is using, if you know?
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    emptybox wrote: »
    The other way to find it is through the 'Control Panel' in the start menu.
    Select 'Hardware and Sound' (or similar) then Display.

(I'm a bit hampered as I moved straight from XP to Windows 7, never stopping on Vista in-between. :D)

See if it correctly identifies your monitor there and see if you can select 1600 x 900 as a screen resolution.

At the moment it sounds like you are still using the same 4:3 ratio resolution used on your old monitor, but your new one has a 16:9 ratio.

It might also help if you told us what your computer is, and what graphics card (or integrated graphics) it is using, if you know?

That appears to have sorted it. Thank you very much :)