'Liz And Dick' (Liz Taylor/Richard Burton biopic starring Lindsay Lohan)

McdigestiveMcdigestive Posts: 830
Forum Member
✭✭
I thought this was going to be a big screen film but it's actually for TV (in America, hoping we get it over here). It's big budget (by the looks of it).

It certainly has been very hectic for Lindsay by the sounds of it, a lot has happened to her whilst filming this film. I'm not sure how much filming time is left. Lindsay is a great actress though so I don't doubt her ability.

Comments

• PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought this was going to be a big screen film but it's actually for TV (in America, hoping we get it over here). It's big budget (by the looks of it).

It certainly has been very hectic for Lindsay by the sounds of it, a lot has happened to her whilst filming this film. I'm not sure how much filming time is left. Lindsay is a great actress though so I don't doubt her ability.

I've only seen one of her films Mean Girls in which she was excellent but it will be interesting to see how she pulls off playing the part of Liz Taylor.
  • thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have a soft spot for Lindsey Lohan and have seen most of her films (even I Know Who Killed Me :eek:). As an actress she ranges from appaling to very good, sometimes in the same film ( Georgia Rule is an example)

As for Liz and Dick, I had high hopes initially and the pictures I've seen seem to show that the film has a fairly high budget and a lot of effort is being put into it but her off screen antics don't fill me with confidence for her performance. The last time she had a 'big' film out and had this much off-screen drama was Georgia Rule and look how that turned out :(
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope she pulls it off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also have a soft spot for Lindsay. I would love to see her get her shit together again and show she's still got it.

I know Lifetime movies are usually awful but I have a surprisingly good feeling for this production and I'll be excited to see it. They've actually managed to complete the filming, something which was looking doubtful for a while at some point, and all the pictures released so far look promising. Lindsay obviously looks nothing like Elizabeth Taylor, but for the kind of movie this is I have a strange feeling that she could actually pull it off anyway and turn in an at least watchable performance.

I'm hoping for the best and looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really want to see this too but apparently it got bad reviews (based on the preview) in the US.
  • Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This airs tomorrow on Lifetime in the US - I can't wait to download it afterwards and watch it myself. It sounds like it's going to be absolutely hilarious from the reviews I've read.

I do feel sorry for Lindsay though. She was a good actress when younger and I can't help but keep rooting for her to get it back together. This movie is only going to damage her credibility even further from what I've read and seen of it.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despite her reputation, Lindsey Lohan is actually an ok actress. She's no Meryl Streep, but she is a better actress than the likes of Megan Fox and others who came out the same time as her or around her age group. However, she is much better at comedy, so to see her take on one of our most Iconic actresses in a dramatic role will be hard to see

I do think they could of at least honored Liz Taylor's legacy but allowing a much more better dramatic character actress to play her. But we will see when it airs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet this film is actually good and it's just the critics pulling it apart piece by piece.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet this film is actually good and it's just the critics pulling it apart piece by piece.

You know that the Lifetime channel in the US (which made/is airing this movie) is home to generally low-budget, low-quality nonsense, right? Most people watch these movies because they are so bad, they're good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know that the Lifetime channel in the US (which made/is airing this movie) is home to generally low-budget, low-quality nonsense, right? Most people watch these movies because they are so bad, they're good.

I did know that but i'm wondering with all that being in mind, that's what caused the awful reviews i.e. generalized opinions
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did know that but i'm wondering with all that being in mind, that's what caused the awful reviews i.e. generalized opinions

I think the awful reviews are because this movie was obviously never going to be anything other than complete trash, and critics have been proven right upon viewing it.

Like I said, I can't help but root for Lindsay as she was a good actress back in the day...but this is clearly not going to be a credible comeback project for her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has it aired yet? Or is it about to air?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has it aired yet? Or is it about to air?

I don't know if it will ever air in the UK, but it's airing in the US on Lifetime tonight. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It aired last night in the US and it seems some loved it, some hated it.
  • HamburgerPimpHamburgerPimp Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    oh dear, lohan's a druggy skank, taylor was stunningly beautiful, they couldn't have picked anyone worse to play her
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh dear, lohan's a druggy skank, taylor was stunningly beautiful, they couldn't have picked anyone worse to play her

In fairness, Taylor was a 'druggy skank' in her time. She was addicted to drugs and alcohol. Also had had affairs with married men. Two left their wives for her, for goodness sake. Like Eddie Fisher, who was married to Debbie Reynolds at the time.

One advantage she had over Lohan and the like is that entertainment news, and the media in general, was heavily controlled. It's still controlled today, but social media is slowly but steadily eroding that control.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's stick to the movie rather than the personal lives of the actors/actresses cast.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen it

It's not as bad as critics have made it but it's the script that is terrible, not the acting etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen it

It's not as bad as critics have made it but it's the script that is terrible, not the acting etc

Sounds plausible as I read some of the twitter responses and most of it was positive (regarding the portrayal of Elizabeth Taylor). I hope they release it on DVD :)
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's stick to the movie rather than the personal lives of the actors/actresses cast.

OK. My apologies for derailing this thread with my earlier response.
  • MissySmithMissySmith Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    Well,I tried to watch it. Linsey Lohan is ok,but the actor who plays Burton is awful. 20 mins was my exit time.
  • Chairman___MeowChairman___Meow Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    MissySmith wrote: »
    Well,I tried to watch it. Linsey Lohan is ok,but the actor who plays Burton is awful. 20 mins was my exit time.

I thought the exact opposite. Grant Bowler practically acted Lohan off the screen. Her performance was insincere and didnt show half as much class as Taylor had. Her accent was all over the place too.

Still its only a TV movie so I guess expectations shouldnt be too high.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if it will air in the UK?