John Grant - "Pale Green Ghosts" Album Thread

WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I must admit on hearing this for the first time a couple of weeks ago I was distinctly underwhelmed. The lush orchestration of Queen Of Denmark had been replaced by much harsher sounding synths and it just didn't sound quite right somehow. Needles to say, I was very disappointed.

Having now listened to it about a dozen times, I can safely say that I think the album is a work of genius. Those synths that I initially disliked now seem to bring out the majesty of John's voice and in their own way are just as beautiful as the orchestrated tracks on Queen Of Denmark.

Early days I know but I don't think I'll hear a better album this year and predict it will do very well in the end of year polls.

Anyone else heard it and want to share their thoughts??

Comments

• player1player1 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only agree .... I was expecting / hoping for Queen of Denmark 2 but PGGs is hard to get into, but a grower if you stick with it ...file under slow burner
  • WelshNigeWelshNige Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    player1 wrote: »
    I can only agree .... I was expecting / hoping for Queen of Denmark 2 but PGGs is hard to get into, but a grower if you stick with it ...file under slow burner

Yes I must admit I was hoping for more of the same, but now I'm glad that he's taken a different direction as it adds more variety to the songs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the album, Glacier is a beautiful song. I think it would all sound better acoustic though.
    I listen to a lot of electronic music so I'm not against him using synths but to me they sound out of place on some songs here as if they were just added on at the end and I don't really like the sounds... Still... 7/10! :)
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think Queen of Denmark is probably the best album I've heard in the past ten years. The highest compliment I can pay Pale Green Ghosts is that I wasn't disappointed.
    GMF might be the catchiest sweary song I've ever heard.
    And Glacier is frankly stunning.
    I'm not a fan of listening to songs on repeat, but I sat the other Saturday for about 3 hours listening to that over and over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theshane wrote: »
    Personally I think Queen of Denmark is probably the best album I've heard in the past ten years. The highest compliment I can pay Pale Green Ghosts is that I wasn't disappointed.
    GMF might be the catchiest sweary song I've ever heard.
    And Glacier is frankly stunning.
    I'm not a fan of listening to songs on repeat, but I sat the other Saturday for about 3 hours listening to that over and over.

GMF is the new single (swearing included):-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekFWPsXXcg0
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a wonderful album and I agree with the general consensus that Glacier is the standout track and a thing of rare beauty.

I'll be seeing John at The Ritz next month and I can't wait to hear him sing these songs live. The last gig I went to was Father John Misty and he put on an INCREDIBLE performance so I feel positively spoiled at the moment.
  • player1player1 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big thanks to Sinead O'Connor - if it wasn't for her last album I'd never have stumbled upon Queen of Denmark in the first place
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a wonderful album and I agree with the general consensus that Glacier is the standout track and a thing of rare beauty.

I'll be seeing John at The Ritz next month and I can't wait to hear him sing these songs live. The last gig I went to was Father John Misty and he put on an INCREDIBLE performance so I feel positively spoiled at the moment.

I agree totally about Glacier, here it is for anyone who's interested in hearing it :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpsehu905W0
  • SourGrapesSourGrapes Posts: 4,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it but to be honest I don't think it's quite up there with Queen of Denmark, and I've found my favourite songs are the ones that sound most like the stuff on that album (GMF, Glacier and It Doesn't Matter to him are all brilliant songs.) The synths work well in places - the title track in particular is very good - but Sensitive New Age Guy is my least favourite song of his and Black Belt is just sort of there. Not that keen on Why Don't You Love Me Anymore either but the others are all good

Some fantastic lyrics though and his voice is amazing. Queen of Denmark is one of my favourite albums of all time, this one's just very good. Going to see him next month - can't wait!
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,863
    Forum Member
    He is sublime. That is all.
    Forum Member
    Caramel (from "Queen of Denmark" makes me cry - beautiful
  • crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Need to hear it, the Queen of Denmark album is great!
    Forum Member
    So looking forward to seeing him in Bath on May 7th
  • crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right heard it and I f*cking love, the title track, Glacier, You Don't Have To, I Hate This Town are stand outs right now, he is awesome...