Is the Wii U Dying Before its Begun?

Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,855
Forum Member
Right, first of all, this is not a Nintendo Bashing thread, I own a Wii U and its great, but with the recent news that Rayman Legends has gone multiplatform and Nintendo have lost exclusivity and activision openly slamming the console, is this a sign that third party developers are abandoning the console this early in its lifespan? We have the launch of two powerhouse consoles over the next 12-18 months which will almost certainly overshadow Nintendo's latest offering- I can definately see shades of the Dreamcast in the Wii U launch but what do you guys think, can Nintendo claw it back?

Comments

• cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wii-U was always going to "fail" in the public's eyes. The success of the Wii was a massive fluke on Nintendo's part which surprised even them given the trouble people had in getting hold of one. They literally got lucky and managed to tap into a totally different side of gaming that had barely been touched on before.

For Wii owners there is simply no reason to upgrade to the Wii-U. The majority of Wii's are in family homes and used for family entertainment, the Wii offers plenty of game choice to this day, and the "family" don't want to be playing the latest blockbuster game. The people who those games are aimed at already have an Xbox or a PS which also get those games.

You also have both Sony and Microsoft releasing motion sensored addons and releasing the same quality games as the Wii-U for a fraction of the price. By the time the next gen truly arrives, the Wii-U will be out of date and outclassed in nearly every aspect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Short answer: NO

Long Answer: no great WiiU exclusives have been launched yet and we don't know what the system in capable of yet, lets wait until we have a 3D mario and zelda and we'll see have quickly it goes from being a failure to a success

let's remember that the 3DS was a failure when it launched
  • gothergother Posts: 14,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think we'll see another Dreamcast situation but i don't think the WII U will be very succesful. However i also don't think it will fail either. Knowing Nintendo they'll do a price drop soon to boost sales and this could be what saves the WII U.
    Also as Thomas mentioned with great exclusives coming up and we do not know what the WII U is capable of yet.
    I don't own one but i'm considering buying one once the prices drop.
  • PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'll see come E3, if Nintendo turns up with a full house then it might stand a decent chance.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    regardless of what the 8th gen machines will be capable of, the Nintendo fans will buy a Wii U as well as possibly a 360/720 or PS4..

why??

because everybody wants to play Mario and Zelda in HD...

i dont consider the Wii U "hardcore"

powerwise, it probably is but ive got mine because i love Nintendo and what they do...

jeez im replaying Wind Waker and having a blast on double dash, 10 years old these titles are they are still the dogs

i will be buying Aliens on 360, not on Wii U

Gamecube F Zero made my eyes bleed, imagine the Wii U version.???

so no, it isnt dying, and who cares about EA anyway?

im sick of their recycled games we get each year anyway, (he says as Dead Space 3 is installing :o)

peace

edit

not to mention the gamepad, which is typical Nintendo genius..

the PS4 will include a touchpad as well..

but did anybody expect Sony to do anything different??
  • JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PinSarla wrote: »
    We'll see come E3, if Nintendo turns up with a full house then it might stand a decent chance.

This is what I think - the whole set up and introduction of the WiiU to the audience has been a shambles something Nintendo has freely admitted. The previous two E3 shows did more harm than good.

Once Zelda, Mario, F Zero, Starfox etc come out then the console will be fine but the main issue is the lack of interest from third party developers.

I really do think after an initial bright influx of third party games, they'll soon disappear and be on XBOX3/PS4.

Apparently Nintendo is working hard to entice more third party games onto the WiiU but I think these developers would want to play with a bigger box of toys.

My advice? Nintendo to do a Disney and buy the big franchises out right. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not to mention the gamepad, which is typical Nintendo genius..

the PS4 will include a touchpad as well..

but did anybody expect Sony to do anything different??

Not like sony already brought out and Vita and added cross platform features with the PS3 (i.e using the vita as a touch screen controller) before the WiiU launched

unless you want to tell me that sony managed to find out about the WiiU and developed the vita and released it in less time then nintendo did with wiiu

:rolleyes: having a go at something is easy when you ignore some facts to fit your image
  • boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    Was selling over 600k pw in the first few weeks, now Ninty expect less than a million sales in the next three months.
    Nobody is talking about Wii U. Vastly different launch compared to the Wii. Where are the TV spots? Another Nintendo marketing fail.
    They only need announce Fzero and I'll buy one tomorrow, but I guess post GC, Nintendo is no longer for me :(

ETA: and it will be really embarrassing for Ninty if Rayman releases on another platform before WiiU.
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it will ever do well in the UK (Nintendo have always done badly here until the Wii and DS).

At the moment it's over priced for the UK market (it needs to be £199 or less with a game) and the casual/family market have moved to playing free games on their phones and ipads.

Worldwide it really depends on the right games, the right pricing and the right marketing (quantity and quality of marketing has really let them down so far).

It'll be interesting to see what kind of response there is if the next Xbox or Playstation sell lower than the Wii U did at launch. I doubt well see quite the same doom mongering from the media.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Not like sony already brought out and Vita and added cross platform features with the PS3 (i.e using the vita as a touch screen controller) before the WiiU launched

unless you want to tell me that sony managed to find out about the WiiU and developed the vita and released it in less time then nintendo did with wiiu

:rolleyes: having a go at something is easy when you ignore some facts to fit your image

maybe thats why the Vita and its "saviour" game, Black Ops de classified has gone down like a lead balloon..

i wasent having a go at Sony, my point is they are very predictable and try to play it safe.

no need for the :rolleyes: really..

i think the next 6 months will be intresting for Wii U, i really hope Nintendo come up with the goods, and regarding re hashes, i dont think many people were expecting Wind Waker.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    It will be the first nintendo console i will not be buying. i am quite happy with my 3ds and gaming on my pc, i might buy one of the new next gen consoles from Sony or MS, but i am not even 100 percent sure of that.
  • TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Short answer: NO

Long Answer: no great WiiU exclusives have been launched yet and we don't know what the system in capable of yet, lets wait until we have a 3D mario and zelda and we'll see have quickly it goes from being a failure to a success

let's remember that the 3DS was a failure when it launched

As a 3DS owner for well over a year now I'd say it has been a failure, much as I like the console itself the games selection is poor to say the least!!
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say a lack of Activision titles greatly enhance the reputation of the platform.
  • heyrehairheyrehair Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wii for me was the worst console Nintendo made and just part of the downward spiral since Nintendo's heyday.

I had reservations about the Wii U, but hoped it might pull something out of the bag. So far I've not seen anything to tempt me, especially given the current pricing.

I hope it does well as Nintendo are an important part of gaming for me, but I fear they may go the way of Sega if they don't re-assess their business.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    boxx wrote: »
    Was selling over 600k pw in the first few weeks, now Ninty expect less than a million sales in the next three months.
    Nobody is talking about Wii U. Vastly different launch compared to the Wii. Where are the TV spots? Another Nintendo marketing fail.
    They only need announce Fzero and I'll buy one tomorrow, but I guess post GC, Nintendo is no longer for me :(

ETA: and it will be really embarrassing for Ninty if Rayman releases on another platform before WiiU.

The Wii U did 35,000 sales in the UK in January.

That is 10,000 less than the Playstation Vita did.

Nintendo have botched their second console release in a row.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    As a 3DS owner for well over a year now I'd say it has been a failure, much as I like the console itself the games selection is poor to say the least!!

You not liking the available games does not make it a failure, the 3DS is a success
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan27 wrote: »

Nintendo's previous console is a failure, hmm the Wii has sold so many that can't be the failure and 3DS while not as explosive as the DS has sold enough to not be considered a failure, what are you on about then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    people should just look at Super Mario Galaxy and realise that Nintendo will never fail..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan27 wrote: »

Yes. Not good figures.

Vita sold more titles in January 2013 compared to PSP in January 2012 (Vita was not yet out then), which is some good news I guess for them.

Still 13k PSP titles bought last month as well!
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The Wii is a failure and will cause the collapse of Nintendo"

"The Wii will never sell well, its a kids console"

All that and more was said about the Wii when it came out. It ended up being market leader for a fair few years. Just remember, everyone wrote Nintendo off with the Wii, the 64, the gamecube and yet they are still going strong.

So no, it won't be a failure in terms of sales or the like. I think it will do fine enough, Nintendo hasnt been going for 30 odd years without learning a thing or two.

Plus, unlike Sega, Nintendo knows the importance of advertising (Segas downfall was a complete failure to bother marketing their consoles and major games)
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    imo the gamepad & miiverse are the greatest innovations 2 hit videogaming in years ... It's a fantastic console ... once the 1st / 3rd party titles start flowing all this negativity will be nothing but a distant memory ... we just need 2 be patient. :)
  • Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    Its an interesting one, Nintendo has the unenviable problem of only its Triple A titles being the poster child for the console, I think it will suffer the same problem as the Wii before it, in that its mainly first party titles that will sell the system to the masses. Xbox and PS3 both have titles from First and Third party companies which "sell" the system, for example you have the Call of Duty series, this invariably is released with special editions for each console, it sells the console. Equally Assassins Creed, there is exclusive content for both Xbox and PS3 but nothing for the Wii U version.

What made the Wii so special is as already mentioned it managed to capture or create a new segment in the market, the casual gamer. Sony and MS soon went after this, with there only versions of motion control. However you may notice in say the years after launch there hasn't been that many decent releases for said peripherals.

Wii U has a problem in the controllers obviously the poster child is the Gamepad, which can be used to play say mario, but stupidly Mario does not work with the Pro Controller you can only use a Wii Remote.....the whole controller system hasn't been that well thought through, its one thing offering backwards compatibility, its an entirely different thing offering the system the Wii U it and frankly its shambolic.

You can pick up an Xbox or PS3 and primary input method is the Dualshock or Xboxb Controller, yes there are addons but these are how you move around the system....how many different methods do you have for Wii U? another problem I has the other way was the gamepad battery had went flat I thought fine, so picked up the Wii remote, everything working as should....go into Miiverse or the E-Shop and I can't make use of this controller or the Pro one.....I am stuck waiting for the Gamepad to charge.

I bought my Wii U as I have a bit of a soft spot for Mario, I have the Mario Galaxy Games and Zelda which I adore as Ninty makes fabulous firsty party titles.....if they are to sell this console to the masses yes it needs a price cut but they also need to open up the controller system so you can get around without the gamepad....this Dual Screen system is more of a hindrance than benefit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valid point regarding mario and the pro controller.

i was like, wtf??

however, i did purchase a blue wiimote plus for Mario U, but even so, why???
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valid pint regarding mario and the pro controller.

i was like, wtf??

however, i did purchase a blue wiimote plus for Mario U, but even so, why???

I don't like that fact u can't turn the gamepad off completely when ya use the pro controller ... Granted u can turn the display off but it still uses electric!!! :( (& mario should have been patched ages ago imo)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    I don't like that fact u can't turn the gamepad off completely when ya use the pro controller ... Granted u can turn the display off but it still uses electric!!! :( (& mario should have been patched ages ago imo)

a bit strange buying into a Zombi U package when one of the key launch titles dosent use pro controller