LG Nexus 4 officially announced

Comments

• whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I have also heard that Android apps or most of them anyway will work with ubuntu.

How does that work then? I know Android is build on linux, but that doesn't mean ubuntu can run them.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How does that work then? I know Android is build on linux, but that doesn't mean ubuntu can run them.

sorry, no it don't, i have no idea where i got that from. but it does seem to have a different way of using Apps.

http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone/app-ecosystem
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

Maybe they will do it the same way as the new Blackberry uses Android apps.

No idea though!!
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Maybe they will do it the same way as the new Blackberry uses Android apps.

No idea though!!

Interesting! but the question for me is, Jellybean is the dogs bollocks with Android running so damn good why would I even want to consider installing Ubuntu? an OS which is very much in early stages.

But then........out of sheer curiosity, the temptation cometh!! :D
    Forum Member
    slick1two wrote: »
    Interesting! but the question for me is, Jellybean is the dogs bollocks with Android running so damn good why would I even want to consider installing Ubuntu? an OS which is very much in early stages.

Haha! Indeed!!

I may install it just to see what its about. Unless its something REALLY special, i wont keep it. I have to say, i have found no mobile OS that comes close to Jelly Bean.
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, tonight the almost-inevitable happened - my Nexus 4, placed on an ostensibly flat (but, it turns out, very slightly angled) surface, slides off and drops about four feet onto the floor, landing on its back and cracking the glass back. Shit! I know I really can't blame anybody else but myself, but I can't help thinking that if the official bumpers managed to stay in stock for more than 30 seconds every blue moon, this wouldn't have happened - not that the bumper would have protected the fall, but the damn phone wouldn't have slid with the bumper on. Even a cheap silicone case would have stopped it slipping, but I was holding off for the official bumper - a foolish decision, in hindsight. Frustrating though - at least when Apple come up with the ludicrous idea of giving a phone a glass back, they have the common courtesy to produce enough bumpers!

So now, I either get a cheap silicone case, slap it on and kid myself the damage never happened; or, I send it off to get it repaired, meaning being without my phone for probably a week or two and at who knows what cost; or, I get a new one and try to offset the cost of that by sending this one off to a mobile recycler. Decisions, decisions.

You know, I never once took the piss out of the iPhone having a glass back, but now I realise full well what an absolutely f**king stupid idea it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »

Because Ubuntu could be the dog bollocks and far better than Android. the problem i would have is if i paid over £200 for a phone stuck ubuntu on it and anythign went wrong I would cry. It is not like sticking Linux on a PC where it is easy enough to go back.
    If say ubuntu would work on the phone i have now, I would try it, but not on a brand new phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, tonight the almost-inevitable happened - my Nexus 4, placed on an ostensibly flat (but, it turns out, very slightly angled) surface, slides off and drops about four feet onto the floor, landing on its back and cracking the glass back. Shit! I know I really can't blame anybody else but myself, but I can't help thinking that if the official bumpers managed to stay in stock for more than 30 seconds every blue moon, this wouldn't have happened - not that the bumper would have protected the fall, but the damn phone wouldn't have slid with the bumper on. Even a cheap silicone case would have stopped it slipping, but I was holding off for the official bumper - a foolish decision, in hindsight. Frustrating though - at least when Apple come up with the ludicrous idea of giving a phone a glass back, they have the common courtesy to produce enough bumpers!

So now, I either get a cheap silicone case, slap it on and kid myself the damage never happened; or, I send it off to get it repaired, meaning being without my phone for probably a week or two and at who knows what cost; or, I get a new one and try to offset the cost of that by sending this one off to a mobile recycler. Decisions, decisions.

You know, I never once took the piss out of the iPhone having a glass back, but now I realise full well what an absolutely f**king stupid idea it is.

This is what worries me, if I do get a Nexus, I will order a case at the same time, the thing is phones are not meant to be dropped.
  • markrdukmarkrduk Posts: 1,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because Ubuntu could be the dog bollocks and far better than Android. the problem i would have is if i paid over £200 for a phone stuck ubuntu on it and anythign went wrong I would cry. It is not like sticking Linux on a PC where it is easy enough to go back.
    If say ubuntu would work on the phone i have now, I would try it, but not on a brand new phone.

I guess we will have to see how it's going to work. At this stage it really is going to be for developers and enthusiasts (i.e. people who really know what they're doing), but if it is just like flashing any other rom, it will be very easy. If, being a different operating system entirely, it requires a bit more messing about, I'm sure it would be completely reversible with the right steps.

Interesting that you say its not like on a PC... that's exactly how I see the future to be honest... phones that may or may not come with an operating system and you install whatever operating system you want on it - be it Android, Ubuntu, Firefox OS.... Maybe even Windows Mobile (probably unofficially) or Blackberry (Who are thinking of licensing their OS out)... probably not iOS! But a lot of manufacturers do seem to like locking their handsets down (albeit usually with relatively straightforward user unlocks, thanks to very hardworking devs and hackers), so we shall have to see.

I do think it means there's exciting times ahead for the mobile phone operating system market though. :)
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Going by the PC OS I don't have my hopes up.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Never heard of Nandroid, but had a search for it and as far as i can see you need to use a SDcard to back the system up to, which is not possible with the Nexus 4.

I have also heard that Android apps or most of them anyway will work with ubuntu.

Nope you dont need an SD card. Its just a 'full' backup done through recovery. Always worth doing if you are flashing ROMs (or new OS such as ubuntu !) as you can then return your phone to the exact state that it was at the time of backup.

Requires rooting and Clockworkmod (or similar) but doesnt require an SD card.
  • withnailukwithnailuk Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very easy root guide guys, for those who aint rooted yet:) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIL1iTr5vto
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member

But you should be able to get back to Android (assuming the Ubuntu is flashed via recovery) pretty easily. You have to start thinking of your Android phone as a small 'PC' :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    But you should be able to get back to Android (assuming the Ubuntu is flashed via recovery) pretty easily. You have to start thinking of your Android phone as a small 'PC' :)

I agree!
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because Ubuntu could be the dog bollocks and far better than Android./QUOTE]That 'dogs bollocks' would mean it is just called Ubuntu but quite distant from the real Ubuntu.

Obviously they both can share the same kernel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the theory is that it would be a fully fledged Ubuntu operating system (obviously with a front-end optimised for using on mobile devices), but that, with compatible hardware, could be connected up to a monitor, keyboard and mouse and used as an Ubuntu desktop machine.

The idea being you literally take your PC with you every where you go and just 'dock' it to use as a computer. Their tagline is 'the superphone that’s also a full PC".

http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone
  • cribologycribology Posts: 1,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the same as you and no update yet either. It'll come. It's only a couple of days.

Tried the method just now and now I'm on 4.2.2 :)
  • Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No way am I switching to Ubuntu.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cribology wrote: »
    Tried the method just now and now I'm on 4.2.2 :)

Yeah mine appeared last night.
  • SadmeHappySadmeHappy Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    And Sky Go stopped working after 4.2.2 and don't think it will be work until summer.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SadmeHappy wrote: »
    And Sky Go stopped working after 4.2.2 and don't think it will be work until summer.

Sky must be the worst supported app on Android. Its down to there DRM.

Hate sky anyway, so thankfully it doesn't effect me.
  • SadmeHappySadmeHappy Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    Sky must be the worst supported app on Android. Its down to there DRM.

Hate sky anyway, so thankfully it doesn't effect me.

yes sky go is defiantly wort app on android,

at least i can use XBMC on android so not much to miss from Sky.
    Forum Member
    Decided to sell mine.

Gonna go back to my S3 i think. Anyone looking for one? :D
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Decided to sell mine.

I sold my S3 when i got the Nexus now the Nexus is going back :o
    Must admit i miss the extra features of the S3.Vanilla android is all very well its lean and fast but its lacking in features compared to other handsets.I know you can download apps or even install custom roms but i dont want to go down that road with my main phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Decided to sell mine.

AxeVictim wrote: »
    I sold my S3 when i got the Nexus now the Nexus is going back :o
    Must admit i miss the extra features of the S3.Vanilla android is all very well its lean and fast but its lacking in features compared to other handsets.I know you can download apps or even install custom roms but i dont want to go down that road with my main phone.

Mmmm, maybe it is best that my order did not go through, seems like a few people is not liking this phone.