Greg Edwards

RadioJohnRadioJohn Posts: 897
Forum Member
✭✭
Has anyone heard any news as to what Greg is up to at the moment? Or better still when he will return to the radio with the excellent soul spectrum show!!

Comments

• boywonderboywonder Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think he's poped up anywhere after getting the boot from Gold. He's still on the website though :confused:

http://www.mygoldmusic.co.uk/Article.asp?id=451505
  • DEmmersonDEmmerson Posts: 1,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, how I miss him too. The weekend is just not the same without him. Thank goodness I recorded lots of his shows.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Used to think Greg was so cool cos he said FM when others still said VHF:D I'lll erm get my coat:o
  • Andy CarltonAndy Carlton Posts: 4,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RadioJohn wrote: »
    Has anyone heard any news as to what Greg is up to at the moment? Or better still when he will return to the radio with the excellent soul spectrum show!!

I listened to him on Jazz FM a few years ago on a friday night and it kick started my weekend...what a presenter!

Everytime I hear 'BB&Q Band - Genie' it always reminded me of him...and that's just one of many classic soul tracks he played....a great presenter! :)
  • RadioJohnRadioJohn Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone have any news on Greg yet??
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets hope he doest retire, we will have lost a Legend! Ive listened to him since the days of "Soul Spectrum on Capital London 194, in the late 70s.......I miss him on the tranny...........
  • davenicefabfmdavenicefabfm Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Lets hope he doest retire, we will have lost a Legend! Ive listened to him since the days of "Soul Spectrum on Capital London 194, in the late 70s.......I miss him on the tranny...........

Me too i listened to him on Capital 194 and Gold he was the best dj on Gold shame he is not back on there. Dose anyone know were Martin Collins is going
  • MasteriserMasteriser Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Martin has a temporary job making sure we all "keep this frequency clear".
  • beaconbeacon Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know where Greg is?. I'm seriously getting withdrawal symptons now!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Great Voice!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Picked up a flyer about this, should be a brill nite. Get on Down!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picked up a flyer about this, should be a brill nite. Get on Down!

"Greg Edwards at Club 1 Ascot New Years Eve"

Did anyone manage to get to this gig and see Greg?

if so any news yet??
  • Nick_GNick_G Posts: 5,137
    Forum Member
    Funnily enough, I was just listening to a very old tape that has a Greg Edwards show on one side (taped by my stepdad). Judging from the music and the news on it the recording seems to date from summer 1978. Still plays fine on my car tape player. Funny hearing the old Capital Radio jingles again.

I have fond memories of his show from the late 70s-early 80s. It was on the radio every Saturday evening in our house.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Hi Guys & Girls,

It was Greg who started me on my collection of US 12" imports in the late 70s. As a result, I formed a mobile disco with a couple of friends "Sahara City Disco" - you wouldn't have heard of us - we were only small time! - but it was great fun - and great music, - I still have all my 12" singles - as well as many recordings of Soul Spectrum from around the late 70s early 80s.

After searching for Greg on the internet back in December (2008) I found this clip on youtube, (I'm sure if you haven't already heard it, you will definitely appreciate it - its a typical Greg session (you can play it over and over again on a Saturday evening - pretending to listen to our "Buck Eyed Buddy and Refuge from Across the Sea")

Greg Edwards "Soul Spectrum" July 1978:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4Byko6nYOI&feature=related

I particularly like the message near the end of the clip - its sums up Greg to a tee.....

I recently found out, from a very well respected "source", that Greg is currently seeking his next show - and it could be with Smooth Radio (not certain though), but I have a feeling that anyone interested in hearing Greg anytime soon, will have to keep asking Smooth Radio .... "Where is Greg Edwards?" as they may be dragging their heels, and anyway, currently Andy Peebles has the 6 - 9 Saturday slot with his "Soul Train" show and as my "source" says, Smooth may be happy with Andy Peebles' style.

Anyone interested in seeing Greg, could possibly see him at his occasional appearances at :

'Club One' - Ascot http://www.cluboneascot.com/,

or 'The Lavish Lounge Bar' - Weybridge http://www.lavishloungebar.co.uk/
    .......it would be good to see you there, if you can make it.

SaharaDan
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Masteriser wrote: »
    I think Martin has a temporary job making sure we all "keep this frequency clear".

You don't like him very much do you - if you don;t like his shows, don;t listen to him! Sorry, but unlike me, I love his shows...... i'll be tuning in again as soon as he is back on the air.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    radiogirl wrote: »
    You don't like him very much do you - if you don;t like his shows, don;t listen to him! Sorry, but unlike me, I love his shows...... i'll be tuning in again as soon as he is back on the air.

Wasn't the other poster referring to one of Martin's old jingles?
    Forum Member
    Before anyone says, ... yes I know, my typing is rubbish, I should have typed :

Greg Edwards the "Buck Eyed Buddy and Refugee from Across the Sea"

SaharaDan
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy.cox wrote: »
    Wasn't the other poster referring to one of Martin's old jingles?

Probably...... But he has put the same answer on another thread too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SaharaDan wrote: »
    Before anyone says, ... yes I know, my typing is rubbish, I should have typed :

Greg Edwards the "Buck Eyed Buddy and Refugee from Across the Sea"

SaharaDan

It's probaly not as bad as mine! I can be blind when I type - honest. The amount of mistakes I have made when typing on here - I have lost count!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently found out, from a very well respected "source", that Greg is currently seeking his next show - and it could be with Smooth Radio (not certain though), but I have a feeling that anyone interested in hearing Greg anytime soon, will have to keep asking Smooth Radio .... "Where is Greg Edwards?" as they may be dragging their heels, and anyway, currently Andy Peebles has the 6 - 9 Saturday slot with his "Soul Train" show and as my "source" says, Smooth may be happy with Andy Peebles' style.

I would LOVE Smooth to get Greg Edwards Soul Spectrum on, preferably Fri, Sat & Sun evenings. He would be excellent for that station, and provide just the injection of energy that they need.

Alternatively, I really wish that Jazz FM would sign him up. He did present 'The Bridge', an excellent show, on one of Jazz FM's previous incarnations.

Greg is truly a radio legend, a fantastic 'personality' and also so dedicated to the absolute best in soul / dance music. A music presenter with true class, it just shows how inept many station programmers are that they're not all chomping at the bit to get him on their station. Idiots.

He's one of my all-time favourite music presenters, along John Leech, Johnnie Walker etc.

Somebody out there in radio land, please sort your stations out and get Greg broadcasting again, a guaranteed audience-puller surely...!!!!
    Forum Member
    Andy Cox and Radio Girl,

I have to admit, I have never use one of these message board thingys before (anywhere). So how on earth, when there hasnt been any comments on this thread for months, did you both reply straight away???

By the way Andy, I agree witn you entirely on your last comments on Greg - he is a legend ! (but I think Greg wants us to badger Smooth, to get him on their station).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy Cox and Radio Girl,

I have to admit, I have never use one of these message board thingys before (anywhere). So how on earth, when there hasnt been any comments on this thread for months, did you both reply straight away???

By the way Andy, I agree witn you entirely on your last comments on Greg - he is a legend ! (but I think Greg wants us to badger Smooth, to get him on their station).

...well, you'll get used to how things work around here...

Hello & welcome by the way, it's good to have you along...

Ok, thanks for the pointer, I shall begin positive action immediately. I shall be sending e-mails to Smooth Radio alerting them to the gaping Greg-seized hole in their weekend schedule. I really do think Soul Spectrum would be such a positive move for Smooth so let's hope they listen to us!
    Forum Member
    andy.cox wrote: »
    ...well, you'll get used to how things work around here...

Hello & welcome by the way, it's good to have you along...

Ok, thanks for the pointer, I shall begin positive action immediately. I shall be sending e-mails to Smooth Radio alerting them to the gaping Greg-seized hole in their weekend schedule. I really do think Soul Spectrum would be such a positive move for Smooth so let's hope they listen to us!

Right... now I've found the 'quote' button...I'm really starting to feel as though I've got this sussed now.

I thought using this website could be a start, to drumming up support to alerting Smooth of the "gaping Greg-seized hole in their weekend schedule", but how do we get more people to badger Smooth. I have it on good authority, that Greg would like to work there.

Thanks Andy,

SaharaDan
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well thanks SaharaDan for bumping up this thread I was thinking of doing it myself on Friday when I was going thorough some old recordings I have of Greg’s

I really hope your information is correct and Greg does get a show on Smooth sooner rather than later as he has been away from the radio long enough now!

I was hoping he would have turned up on Jazz-Fm by now I know for a fact that he was asked to join Jazz-Fm from the start but was unable to due to his contract with Gold so Jazz got other presenters on board to fill the gap then a few weeks later Greg got let go by Gold but by this time it was to late to join jazz-fm,
    Forum Member
    Hi RadioJohn,

Firstly I must say that I have no firm evidence that Greg will be joining Smooth.

To be honest, I have received an email from Greg, and I understand that he would be interested in working at Smooth, if they were to invite him. The problem is that Smooth already have Andy Peables for the early Saturday evening Soul slot, and they may be happy with Peables style.

I think it is a case of us emailing Smooth to remind them that Greg Edwards is available, and that he would be a great asset and 'guaranteed audience-puller' (in Andy.Cox's words) to the station.

I agree with you, that he would be great on Jazz FM. But I'm not sure that Jazz FM, or any of the other digital stations pay their DJs much to live on.