Food and Drink BBC2

Comments

• addixaddix Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    That bread bloke was a bit full-on. Enough to make you go out and buy a sliced white for the hell of it!
  • ExistentialistExistentialist Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rachel Coo :o
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone catch where Rachel bought that box? I want to go there.
  • vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rachel Coo :o
    She always annoys me a bit. Difficult to explain but I always find her "kooky", "bohemian" demeanour a little smug.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vixyvic wrote: »
    She always annoys me a bit. Difficult to explain but I always find her "kooky", "bohemiang." demeanour a little smu

eh????
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chloe_26 wrote: »
    eh????
    Typo! Now fixed above :p
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't this snipped from her own show?
  • applepie2100applepie2100 Posts: 23,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woo Monica next week :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michel's genuine warm presenting style is really enjoyable to watch. They made such a good decision asking him to front the show.
  • ExistentialistExistentialist Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michel's genuine warm presenting style is really enjoyable to watch. They made such a good decision asking him to front the show.

Completely agree. I find him really likable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And we get to see Monica as a Mum next week :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She always annoys me a bit. Difficult to explain but I always find her "kooky", "bohemian" demeanour a little smug.

I don't mind her, would love to flounce around Paris looking like that :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chloe_26 wrote: »
    I don't mind her, would love to flounce around Paris looking like that :)
    I'm probably just jealous! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seem to be watching a different show and perceive its main presenter in an entirely different light.

I find MRJ sneery and cold. Last night's example had him looking askance at the idea anyone would choose a good sparkling wine over a dull and vastly over-priced champagne and dismissive of Mary Berry's idea of the perfect Victoria Sponge (though it was hers which triumphed over his in a tasting). Won't be watching this programme again.

This is little more than the BBC offering 30 minutes a week for him to tell us, at length, how good all things French are - even down to French oval tart tins being infinitely better than our round ones. Isn't it bad enough that he uses MasterChef for much the same pro-French ends? This is all getting dull. We need to celebrate new British cooking because there is a renaissance going on, Great British Bake Off was a huge success because it tapped into quite a few different needs, one of which was the need for Britain to celebrate itself and its achievements. We have no more need to worship at the altar of French cuisine. That nonsense ended decades ago.
  • wantoosoonwantoosoon Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think MRJ has reached saturation point. Enough of him.

In Masterchef, it's fine for him to be picky and elitist. However, in Food and Drink (which should be a homely, chatty show), he comes across as a snob. I don't want to hear about his Paris apprenticeship one more time, nor about his idyllic childhood eating [insert French food here]. He oozes self-importance. Why does he even bother to degrade himself by spending time in this country? Is he unable to escape his father's and uncle's shadows in France?
  • spanglerokapispanglerokapi Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite a few people on twitter agreeing with folks here.. the wine bit needs work with the brands etc announced rather than just the type of wine. Can't see why they wouldn't be able to do that.. Saturday Kitchen does.

According to the new Radio Times the wines are detailed on the web site. It is claimed that the drinks aren't specifically named due to possibility the the products may not be available at the time of broadcast.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can't stand her on my telly. I can't put my finger on it either. I guess smug is about right.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,936
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    I can't stand her on my telly. I can't put my finger on it either. I guess smug is about right.

I like her, I don't find her smug. But the way she eats irritates the hell out of me. She pouts before she puts the food in her mouth then she pouts while she's eating the food. Silly thing to get annoyed about, I know :o:D
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member
    addix wrote: »
    That bread bloke was a bit full-on. Enough to make you go out and buy a sliced white for the hell of it!

Yeah, there's a fine line between being enthusiastic about your product and being a prick.
  • kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wantoosoon wrote: »
    I think MRJ has reached saturation point. Enough of him.

In Masterchef, it's fine for him to be picky and elitist. However, in Food and Drink (which should be a homely, chatty show), he comes across as a snob. I don't want to hear about his Paris apprenticeship one more time, nor about his idyllic childhood eating [insert French food here]. He oozes self-importance. Why does he even bother to degrade himself by spending time in this country? Is he unable to escape his father's and uncle's shadows in France?

I agree. I think that it shouldn't be presented by a Michelin starred chef. Should be presented by more of an ordinary bloke who you might meet in the street. MRJ could be a guest perhaps.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I don't watch Masterchef so it's not overkill for me to see him on F&D but I don't think that he fits in.
    There's something just not right about the programme format the way it is.

MRJ was on The One Show last night making pancakes. He went on waffling about to him pancakes were Amermican thick levened style served with bacon and to him it would always be a crepe.

Well, it's not crepe day is it? It's pancake day so live with it :p
  • catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was looking forward to this programme but as others say, it does not play to Michel Roux Jr's strengths. Everything he does seems like a lecture and I automatically know I would never be able to cook like him. Whereas on the previous F&D Chris Barry came across as the Everyman who people could aspire to copy.
    MRJ must be desperate to do this sort of thing and whilst I admire him in his professional capacity on Masterchef, he doesnt have the warmth or charisma to carry F&D, and his co-presenters are just irritating.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I was looking forward to this programme but as others say, it does not play to Michel Roux Jr's strengths. Everything he does seems like a lecture and I automatically know I would never be able to cook like him. Whereas on the previous F&D Chris Barry came across as the Everyman who people could aspire to copy.
    MRJ must be desperate to do this sort of thing and whilst I admire him in his professional capacity on Masterchef, he doesnt have the warmth or charisma to carry F&D, and his co-presenters are just irritating.

and you'd get the odd David Coleman and Kenneth Williams impressions :p
  • catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Whereas on the previous F&D Chris Barry came across as the Everyman who people could aspire to copy."

Sorry, I should have referred to the late Michael Barry.:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the BBC wanted to replicate the original show and replicate the late Michael Barry then they've clearly picked the wrong guy to front the show but I suspect they intended to do neither. It's a new show with a different direction. MRJ can't help who he is or what his background has been. I think the comments are a little harsh. He's been in this country since 1985 and is very approachable as a chef. I think of the top chefs out there he's one of the more human. But I can see why some find his tastes annoying and perhaps a little 'out of reach'.

I didn't enjoy the last episode as much as the others.