What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed reading Holes and it got me thinking about books I read when I was younger so I'm currently re-reading some Roald Dahl... Matilda; The Witches and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    I'm reading The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes and really enjoying it so far
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Finished Snowdrops by A. S. Miller. It was ok, we'll paced and you got a great sense of Moscow and the Russian winter.

The plot was a bit obvious and the allegory heavy handed but some nice set pieces even if all the characters were rather stereotypical. Maybe they just are but I longed for a mobster that actually had a neck!

Anyway mrs. Bleads is on at me to read A Monster Calls so that's next. Anything for a quiet life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just done with Thief Of Souls - Anne Benson. Simply Brilliant The first read of the year for me that I am going to absolutely recommend to everyone and the first I would give a resounding ten out of ten for. Set in two time periods - 1444 Brittany, and 2002 Los Angeles, we follow two women both in the midst of investigating the disappearance of several children. In 1444 we have Abbess Guillemette, who took holy orders after the death of her husband and disappearance of her son, realising that many children were vanishing without a trace and determines that something must be done. (This part of the novel is based on the actual case of Lord Gilles De Rais,a real life figure on which the fairytale"Bluebeard" is based) and in 2002 we have Detective Lany Dunbar, from the Crimes against Children unit investigating a similar set of disappearances. The author has written this in alternate chapters - one set in 1444, the next in 2002 and so on so that you can see the parallels in the cases as they unfold. Brilliantly written with a satisfying solution, I highly recommend that if you enjoy either crime fiction, historical fiction or both that you give this a go. Or even if you don't like either of those things :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Just started The Terror of Living by Urban Waite.
    Its one of the £1 books at Asda, gonna get some more. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Poorly sick and reading Wilbur Smith - when the lion feeds. Mum and grandad have raved about him for years so thought I'd have a go, enjoying it so far!
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Just done with Thief Of Souls - Anne Benson. Simply Brilliant The first read of the year for me that I am going to absolutely recommend to everyone and the first I would give a resounding ten out of ten for. Set in two time periods - 1444 Brittany, and 2002 Los Angeles, we follow two women both in the midst of investigating the disappearance of several children. In 1444 we have Abbess Guillemette, who took holy orders after the death of her husband and disappearance of her son, realising that many children were vanishing without a trace and determines that something must be done. (This part of the novel is based on the actual case of Lord Gilles De Rais,a real life figure on which the fairytale"Bluebeard" is based) and in 2002 we have Detective Lany Dunbar, from the Crimes against Children unit investigating a similar set of disappearances. The author has written this in alternate chapters - one set in 1444, the next in 2002 and so on so that you can see the parallels in the cases as they unfold. Brilliantly written with a satisfying solution, I highly recommend that if you enjoy either crime fiction, historical fiction or both that you give this a go. Or even if you don't like either of those things :D
    Thanks for that review, I've been looking for something interesting and intriguing to read, I shall download it now.
  • SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 39 steps by John Buchan, 10% into it on kindle. Pretty good, will also record the movie on Ch4hd this afternoon.
  • David_QuintonDavid_Quinton Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    the Phantom by Jo Nesbø. Slow so far, but then they usually are and speed up in the middle.
  • Reggie RebelReggie Rebel Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished The Elephant to Hollywood, Michael Caine's latest autobiography. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm about to start Gently Does it by Alan Hunter.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Memos from Purgatory ~ Harlan Ellison

Account of Ellison's time undercover with a Brooklyn street gang in the mid fifties (researching a novel) and his overnight stay in jail for arms possession in 1960.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    My Fat Mad Teenage Diary - it's really funny.

I needed something very 'readable', if that makes sense, as I'd just given up on two books in a row (Wolf Hall and The Brief History of The Dead) and was a bit put off reading.
  • meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last Days Adam Neveill. Didn;t get beyond 20 pages with banquet of the damned or Apartment 16 but this is quite good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I'm reading The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes and really enjoying it so far

I really liked that one!!! I didn't read what it was about so was a but confused at the beginning!!! Read a few of her books now and really enjoy her writing.
  • Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Assassin's Apprentice' - Robin Hobb. Seems good so far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.
  • mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

Snap! I bought that yesterday along with 'Fault in our Stars; in Smiths buy one get one half price :) both sound very good.
    :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snap! I bought that yesterday along with 'Fault in our Stars; in Smiths buy one get one half price :) both sound very good.
    :D

The reviews were mixed but I have to say I'm really enjoying it at the moment :)
  • spanglerokapispanglerokapi Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    " My Old Man " by John Major. It is an affectionate history of old time musical.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member

I read that last year, loved it!
  • mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reviews were mixed but I have to say I'm really enjoying it at the moment :)

Going to start it tonight :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still reading Gone Girl (on my kindle) and it is really really good. My print book at the moment is Perdido Street Station by China Meilville Not ready any by this author before and its a bit weird but strangely enjoyable.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still reading Gone Girl (on my kindle) and it is really really good. My print book at the moment is Perdido Street Station by China Meilville Not ready any by this author before and its a bit weird but strangely enjoyable.

I've heard lots of people raving about Gone Girl so I reserved a copy. Eager to read it now!

Perdido Street Station gets good about 300 pages in (long wait I know but it's worth it) so do persevere Lizzy.

I'm about to start The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time by Mark Haddon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I just finished Mockingjay, the final book in The Hunger Games series. I was left a little disappointed by it but thought the overall series was great.

I have just started reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It's turning out to be quite a interesting read so far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    I've heard lots of people raving about Gone Girl so I reserved a copy. Eager to read it now!

Perdido Street Station gets good about 300 pages in (long wait I know but it's worth it) so do persevere Lizzy.

I'm about to start The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time by Mark Haddon.

I will persevere with it as although its a bit strange, I'm not hating it. It takes me a bit sometimes with an author I havent read before to get into their style of writing but I'm getting there with this one!

As for "Gone Girl" yes I think you will enjoy it - I'm not quite at the end but its been really intriguing. I do like how the chapters are done - One from the point of view of the Husband followed by diary entries from the Wife. Clever.

---S.S--- wrote: »
    I just finished Mockingjay, the final book in The Hunger Games series. I was left a little disappointed by it but thought the overall series was great.

I have just started reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It's turning out to be quite a interesting read so far.

I started that a while ago but only read a little - not because it was bad, but because I went into hospital and when I came out again I started something else for some reason that I can't remember now!

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it overall when you are done, to see if I want to go back to it :)