How would you know if you have cancer ?

Audio RebelAudio Rebel Posts: 1,575
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do early symptoms vary depending on the type of cancer one has ?
What are the tell-tale physical signs of being diagnosed ?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do a google search for a few different types of Cancer and you'll quickly see that some have very few or easily recognisable symptoms and some will.

A colleague of mine died nearly two months after being diagnosed with Brain Cancer - he was absolutely fine up until the diagnosis too.
  • Audio RebelAudio Rebel Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you Gilbertoo,I'll get Googling.

Sorry to hear about your colleague. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forget googling and seek the advice of a doctor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I worked in the nuclear industry and we had a full blood screening test yearly.

I don't know if it detects all cancers but is used to show a high white cell count.
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    itwasn'tme wrote: »

This is the correct answer. If you've already started to convince yourself you have cancer, then nothing you read on Google will put that idea out of your head. Just go and see a doctor where, the chances are, he'll diagnose trapped wind or something....
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

Yes, you'll only convince yourself that you've got everything from Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia to Wilm's Tumour (sorry, no cancers beginning with X,Y or Z), not to mention all the loonies out there who reckon you can cure cancer with herbal tea or crystals.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnny_t wrote: »
    This is the correct answer. If you've already started to convince yourself you have cancer, then nothing you read on Google will put that idea out of your head. Just go and see a doctor where, the chances are, he'll diagnose trapped wind or something....

Well yes, it is if you feared that you might actually have Cancer. However, my answer was specific to the questions being asked (not the thread title though). I didn't assume that the OP thinks they may have Cancer (I hope not anyway. If so, then yes, get yourself off to the Doctors!).
  • Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exaclty

Do not under any circumstances try to self-diagnose something as serious as cancer- it's so easy to get carried away and convince yourself of something and start dwelling on a load of bad stuff

I have self-diagnosed gout before when I in fact had a broken toe :)
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope you're alright OP x
    :)
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exaclty

Do not under any circumstances try to self-diagnose something as serious as cancer- it's so easy to get carried away and convince yourself of something and start dwelling on a load of bad stuff

This. You might well find out it's nothing at all, I was about to make an appointment at the doctor's thinking I had kidney disease last week (not from Googling it, because someone at work mentioned it), but it turned out to just be backache from the way I'd been sitting on the sofa using my laptop for hours. I now make sure I sit up straight and sure enough it's gone away :o
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't ever go looking for cancer advice on the net as every case is different.

You need to speak to a doctor.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exaclty

Yep but equally don't be afraid to see the doctor. I thought I had a bad bout of constipation last week but went along to the GP anyway and ended up being hospitalised with a massive ovarian cyst. Even if it is something bad, you'll get treated and life will go on.
  • MillyCMillyC Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    Yep but equally don't be afraid to see the doctor. I thought I had a bad bout of constipation last week but went along to the GP anyway and ended up being hospitalised with a massive ovarian cyst. Even if it is something bad, you'll get treated and life will go on.

This is exactly why you shouldn't rely on symptoms. I had a massive ovarian cyst that turned out to be cancerous and I had no constipation or anything, other than a swollen tum.

A blood test is what you need OP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MillyC wrote: »
    This is exactly why you shouldn't rely on symptoms. I had a massive ovarian cyst that turned out to be cancerous and I had no constipation or anything, other than a swollen tum.

A blood test is what you need OP.

Was it the blood test that showed that the cyst was cancerous? I've to wait a few weeks to get it out and i'm slightly nervous as obviously nothing has been tested yet, except my blood.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it the blood test that showed that the cyst was cancerous? I've to wait a few weeks to get it out and i'm slightly nervous as obviously nothing has been tested yet, except my blood.

Yes the blood test was for a CA125 test and mine was way high

Edit: don't worry, I was a whole month before mine was got out
  • jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do early symptoms vary depending on the type of cancer one has ?
    What are the tell-tale physical signs of being diagnosed ?

What has prompted your questions, OP?

Symptoms vary tremendously, and are dependant both on the type of cancer and the individual.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MillyC wrote: »
    Yes the blood test was for a CA125 test and mine was way high

Edit: don't worry, I was a whole month before mine was got out

Ah ok thanks, i'm sure I was tested for all that sort of stuff too then. A month seems like a long time to wait, the episodes of pain can be excruciating.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Don't ever go looking for cancer advice on the net as every case is different.

You need to speak to a doctor.
    Indeed. It's not just cancer but any prognosis. Just take the internet advice and googling with a pinch of salt.

I mean I thought I was suffering from heart failure a few weeks ago -- the symptoms like a weak left arm and leg ticked all the boxes but in actual fact it was just palpitations. Did what my doctor told me to and I'm right as rain.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    When the doctor sits you down and says "You have cancer".
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The internet is great in a lot of ways. Allowing us to 'self diagnose' serious illness ourselves isn't one of them. I had a suspicious lump last year and had to wait a couple of weeks for test results after it was removed and by then the internet had gone quite a way towards convincing me I had cancer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    The internet is great in a lot of ways. Allowing us to 'self diagnose' serious illness ourselves isn't one of them. I had a suspicious lump last year and had to wait a couple of weeks for test results after it was removed and by then the internet had gone quite a way towards convincing me I had cancer.

If you ever watch embarrassing bodies, it always amazes me when the doctors look at people's lumps and say "yeah don't worry that's fine." I half expect them to google NHS direct and use the body symptom checker before telling them to administer self care :o
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you ever watch embarrassing bodies, it always amazes me when the doctors look at people's lumps and say "yeah don't worry that's fine." I half expect them to google NHS direct and use the body symptom checker before telling them to administer self care :o

OT but what always amazes me about that program is that anybody goes on it.

Imagine going back to work after it was shown: 'Alright Bob? Hows it going? I saw your mouldy penis on Embarrasing Bodies last night by the way. Fancy a cuppa?'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Imagine going back to work after it was shown: 'Alright Bob? Hows it going? I saw your mouldy penis on Embarrasing Bodies last night by the way. Fancy a cuppa?'.

Lol. I think people go on it hoping for a free private operation. You can tell sometimes thats what they are hoping for. The doctors are like "I know you're worried about your overly massive boobs but i'm afraid we may have to operate" and the people are like "OH NO, well ok then"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hahaha :D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:D Lol. True. Even things like acne all over someone's chest are not the things you necessarily want the person you secretly fancy at work to see in glorious technicolour.