Scottie Mcclue

Comments

• wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed what I managed to catch of the show but found the initial banter somewhat disjointed and awkward. Lesley cut Scottie dead on more than one occasion and came across somewhat uncomfortable sharing a platform with something as 'down to earth' as McClue. Riddoch desperately strived to retain the higher ground, with her selections from the 'quality' press. Scottie's banter was straight from the tabloids (as one would expect) but it was refreshing to have something lighter discussed on Radio Scotland. The presenter mis-match was gloriously illustrated by the choice of newspaper topic up for discussion by listener vote at the end of the show. Lesley's David Cameron drugs issue or Scottie's Prince Harry's arse artwork.

The show moved at a reasonably fast pace and might improve when Lesley becomes less aloof, the fact that both of them were separated by the Irish sea did'nt help.. There was certainly banter but it had some cringe worthy moments when Scottie was verbally slapped down and dismissed, unjustifiably at some points in my opinion. A matter of posturing I suspect.

Either of these presenters could have carried the show easily on their own but the production team obviously think there will be some worthwhile chemistry between these two this week; we shall have to see about that.

A very short initial review from me, I have no intention of providing daily blow by blow accounts of other programmes in this series but I will read others opinions with interest and provide my opinions of the week's programmes after they have been aired.
  • Kenny at KACLKenny at KACL Posts: 1,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice Brad or Auntie didn't post during the show. I wonder why?
  • littlepepperlittlepepper Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Auntie is banned, Kenny and Brad posts late at night so probably working or busy.
    I didn't post during the show either and nor did Wavejock and nor did you..
    This is off topic nonsense so if you heard the show then post about it. If you didn't then comment on the posts made but don't go down this road again.
    It's boring, this off topic stuff I mean, and has had its day...weel should have but maybe the mods. should decide that!
  • Kenny at KACLKenny at KACL Posts: 1,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, I have just "Listened Again" to the first thirty minutes of the show.

You will probably not be surprised to hear that I reckon it was something of a noble failure (and, granted, you can't tell a lot from half an hour - I'll keep listening). You may be surprised to hear that the reason for that was... Not Enough Scottie McClue.

It seems to me that if BBC Scotland are going to be brave and put McClue on the air, then they should put the whole McClue experience there. There's no point putting him on with a nice, balanced BBC minder in Lesley Riddoch. A sanitised McClue is no McClue at all. I would think this show falls short for McClue fans (too "safe"), and is confusing for anyone who's not heard him before ("what's all the fuss about?")

I would have thought that it would be more interesting to play McClue off against the Radio Scotland audience, which I would hope would be more challenging to him than the type of callers I've heard him interact with before (and which have put me off his show before - dull dim people with nothing to say late at night hardly bringing out much of what I am told is the immense wit and cleverness of the McClue character).

I also think that phone-in shows based on strong personalitiies in the chair rely to a great extent on the authority of the host. But the format of this show doesn't allow McClue to have authority, because he's forced to share with Riddoch and defer to the existing progarmme set-up (a dull BBC-style quiz, the interviews etc) . What they should have done was just stuck him in the chair, wound him up and let him go. (I think the inherent BBC-ness of the station, the surroundings and the audience would have, in themselves, toned down/shown up McClue, without the need for Riddoch).

And why they had Riddoch if she could only be in Belfast I really don't know (the first few minutes of the show were missed by Listen Again). It certainly didin't help the flow of the show as Wavejock says.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's better Kenny and I'm not surprised to hear what you say at all but I think it's a new era of Scottie and who knows where it'll end but the longest journey begins with the first step and this what a first step.

For the record, not off topic as the show is co-hosted, I'm not a Lesley Riddoch fan at all and don't listen to her anymore. The only reason I did today was because Scottie was there.
    I have read that she's a great fan of McClue and Scottie's on record ,too, as saying he's an admirer of her style.
    I'd have to disagree or would have had to do so until today as I thought she was the one playing 'catch up' but we all hear things differently.

We're almost in agreement here, Kenny ;) and yes it is strange the show was coming from 2 different areas...Scottie's 'take' on that was fun..first few minutes tho'....he said they'd had 'words' on Friday so she refused to be in the same studio as him. :D That'll be the bit ye missed.

Maybe personal circumstances on Lesley's behalf or pre-arranged commitments which were binding...don't know.
  • FalkirkJimFalkirkJim Posts: 1,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice Brad or Auntie didn't post during the show. I wonder why?

Was wondering that myself? ;) I'm sure they are both sat up with a nice cuppa right now though, listening to their show....erm, i mean, the show at home right now! ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FalkirkJim wrote:
    Was wondering that myself? ;) I'm sure they are both sat up with a nice cuppa right now though, listening to their show....erm, i mean, the show at home right now! ;)

Totally off topic as I said to Kenny . :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, Peps, but i dont think it is in a way.....im sure Kenny was just saying what a lot of people reading this thread have thought!!

If ye want on-topic though, then im off to listen again online!! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FalkirkJim wrote:
    Sorry, Peps, but i dont think it is in a way.....im sure Kenny was just saying what a lot of people reading this thread have thought!!

If ye want on-topic though, then im off to listen again online!! :)

Jim, I'd have thought the Mods want 'on topic' but the site is about Scottie and nothing else I assumed.
    Many have thought and voiced what you refer to but that's done and dusted.
    I've been accused of the same thing and there's someone on here imitating me and, flattering it may be , it's off topic too and so am I even mentioning it.

Enjoy your listen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well.........i'll try, i really will

However, after 5 tiring minutes....im already thinking of binning it......arghhhhh, that fake accent!!!! The only one thing i will say is that the banter is certainly live and unrehearsed......purely because it sounds so awkward!!

.....but i downloaded the awful Real One player to listen to this, so i'll give it a bit longer! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK......i listened for as long as i could, and here is my view.....no doubt it will be ripped to shreds by Scottie fans, but just remember, we are all entitled to our own opinion!

Listened for a bit, but i have to say it did nothing for me. For starters, the banter was really poor.....it clearly wasnt rehearsed, as they were butting in on top of each other all the time, and on several occassion lesley (thankfully) cut off scottie in mid-ramble. Certainly not a smooth partnership, although first day i suppose.......could be excused.

Secondly.....whilst i can at least take Lesley serious as a radio presenter, i can never do the same with Scottie. That false over-accentuated accent, the annoying OTT 'banter'.......it just doesnt sit well with me. Far from being a breath of fresh air, it just felt like the same old scottie to me.......thankfully (as was said in an earlier post) minus the phone calls!!

Maybe as someone said earlier, if the Beeb were gonna be brave enough to do it, they should have went the full whack and given him his own show.....although they may have found their traditional audience voting with the off button! Maybe this is them testing the water with a halfway compromise.....who knows.....but i know personally that i wont be lamenting the loss if Scottie never returns to the airwaves after this week. Time for a new act methinks, mcclue has ran his course!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also......as part of the on topic debate......can any of the scottie fans please come on and tell me just what made the show today special? What did it for you? If anyone can tell me what sounded fresh and interesting, id love to debate it! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FalkirkJim wrote:
    Also......as part of the on topic debate......can any of the scottie fans please come on and tell me just what made the show today special? What did it for you? If anyone can tell me what sounded fresh and interesting, id love to debate it! :)

I've done that already, FJ ...it was a different format in which Scottie worked well I thought and I didn't, to refer to your previous post, think his voice overly accentuated at all.

Of course Scottie could do a show on his own and I hope you're right and this is a wee transitional phase maybe but in this slot both he and Lesley did what is in keeping with the show for which they are both covering and I think did a grand job.
    Now that's a divergence of opinion but I hope not ripping your post to shreds.

To get back to what made it special...apart from what I've said...I'd say again that he was at ease with this different format, for him, and with the variety of guests.
    I haven't heard him on this type of show before so that made it special for me.
    He's as human as the rest of us so would have been a tad nervous I assume as most performers are when going on any stage and that's a good wee adrenalin rush, but I was happy to hear a slightly new Scottie but recognisable still as the old Scottie.
    Just today's Scottie for me but all can feel free to agree or disagree.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldnt disagree that he handled the different format well......what i would say, is this kind of 'character' suited to that kind of format?.....and personally, i would say no. His voice has always grated me.....it just sounds so put on.....but then that's just my opinion

To me, the whole act worked OK for a while as a late night call in show.....but when it got to the 'scottie and the same six callers' show, then it was time for him to move on to his next port of call / new station! He did that to a great deal of success, but is past his sell by date as a shock jock now, things have moved on, and i just dont see him fitting in well with this kind of audience im afraid!
  • steveimpsteveimp Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    thewilks wrote:
    Is this the Same Scottie that was on Hallam FM (South Yorks) in the early 90's?

It sounds like him.

That phone in was never the same when Roger Kirk (RIP) left.
  • Brad SpacemanBrad Spaceman Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Marvellous to hear our old friend McClue on the wireless again.

Little point in quibbling over the format of what is a short five-day run.
    Nor listening to bitter wee individuals who decided they wouldn't like the show before it went out.

The debate will come at the end of the week and in the weeks afterwards.
    You can be sure the high heid yins at Beeb Scotland will be listening eagerly and wondering if they can make more use of Scottie McClue's talents.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nor listening to bitter wee individuals who decided they wouldn't like the show before it went out.

Well, that looks like another dig at the people on here who dare speak up against Scottie. I'm not going to waste my time anymore with pointless insults....however, i will sit here and wait for those who keep telling ME to stay on topic, to respond to one of their own........Littlepepper, where are you ;):D *drums fingers in anticipation!!*

As for being back on topic......well, my comments have been more than fair so far (the sheer cheek of me, speaking my own mind! :rolleyes: ) I just dont see the Beeb seriously looking at taking on this 'character' when it is clearly in decline!
  • CayenneCayenne Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    We're thoroughly enjoying this show.
    Not a slot our squad normally tune-in to but we're making a special effort this week.

Isn't Scottie's laugh infectious? Even serious old Lesley Riddoch gets carried along.
    More please BBC. :)
  • Spikey2Spikey2 Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    I am another of Scottie's millions of fans and have been enjoying listening online. The Big man certainly knows how to entertain us he is light years ahead when it comes to quality chat. This planet striding colossus deserves his own show on Radio Scotland I hope the bosses are pencilling him in as we speak.
    amazing man
  • wavesterwavester Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scottie even got a name check from Andy Hodgson on Bid TV yesterday who had been listening to him earlier.

I'm not a fan myself but it's obvious he brings a lot of pleasure to many people so good luck to him. He's certainly different to a lot of the bland stuff on radio these days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Help M'Boaby ! Whit is yon big Tumpshie Scotty McClueless dain' oan Radio Scotland ? Yon gowk is an atavistic throwback to the Sunday Post of the 1950's, when Scotland voted Tory, Maw put a big Ham Shank on a Sunday, and Paw puffed his pipe full o'Baccy ! Complacent, H'ignorant, and deeply Self-satisfied !

What on earth are Radio Scotland playing at; I thought this tartan dinosaur had been ejected from the fair land o' Bonnie Scotland, many years ago, when he was booted off ScotFM for seriously damaging the nation's intellect, with his withering diatribes aimed at single mothers, the poor, and unfortunate. Somewhat against the grain of a modern, inclusive, democratic Scotland, dont'cha think ?

He was in the vanguard of the so-called "Shock-Jock" radio stations, such as talk sport radio; a station I happily gave up on, many moons ago. It is somewhat to the right of Adolf Hitler, and Mussolini, in giving unfettered voice to all true Fascists, Nazis, and extreme right-wing Tories; and to think our parents fought a war, to get rid of this human detritius !

As for poor wee Lesley Riddoch, whit oan earth have they done tae ye Hen ? Lumping you in with that big brute of a gargoyle. The fragrant Lesley was the best thing on Radio Scotland, with her lunchtime phone-in. How she manfully handled the raving yaps, that came on. Oh bye-the-bye, Dave the Cabbie, I think you should move to talk sport radio, Sonny; your extreme right-wing views are an h'utter disgrace !

Now we see the puir wee sowel, Lesley, reduced to pairing up with the bombastic porker in plaid. The double act just isn't working, the banal showbiz guests are an utter bore; Lesley is too clever to talk down at their self-seeking level; Scotty is just an irrelevance. Thank Goad it lasts for only wan week !

Bring back Lesley - Lesley for DG of BBC Scotland !
    Forum Member
    Rather reassuring that Scottie McClue's animal magnestism has drawn Chuffing Nora from her self-indulgent proclamations on other threads.

If it was Just a Minute, he/she'd have been dumped for repetition many aeons ago.

Putting political rants to one side, it shows quite clearly you can never ignore Scottie McClue.
    Reassuring for the BBC bosses.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cayenne wrote:
    Rather reassuring that Scottie McClue's animal magnestism has drawn Chuffing Nora from her self-indulgent proclamations on other threads.

If it was Just a Minute, he/she'd have been dumped for repetition many aeons ago.

Putting political rants to one side, it shows quite clearly you can never ignore Scottie McClue.
    Reassuring for the BBC bosses.

Ooh ! Get you Ducky ? Who rattled your cage and after only 5 posts, as well ! A bitter little pepper indeed is Cayenne ! It gets right up one's nose !

If you are trying to suggest that somehow the ravings of Mr Colin Lamont, are all good laddish jackanapery, and entirely devoid of any political content, then may I suggest, it is you who are living on cloud cuckoo land - but somehow, I think, you are not so ingenuous !

To deny he is political is in itself a political statement - I wonder which side of the great political chasm, you hail from - Hmmmm ?
  • LittleAuntiePepLittleAuntiePep Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    A bitter little pepper indeed is Cayenne !

Tsk tsk :(

Imagine trying to stir up trouble on here and suggest that there are duplicate accounts on the go. You are clearly just a sour grapes Scottie hater ;)
    Forum Member
    Ooh ! Get you Ducky ? Who rattled your cage and after only 5 posts, as well ! A bitter little pepper indeed is Cayenne ! It gets right up one's nose !

If you are trying to suggest that somehow the ravings of Mr Colin Lamont, are all good laddish jackanapery, and entirely devoid of any political content, then may I suggest, it is you who are living on cloud cuckoo land - but somehow, I think, you are not so ingenuous !

To deny he is political is in itself a political statement - I wonder which side of the great political chasm, you hail from - Hmmmm ?

My, you're rather presumptuous - and it doesn't suit you.
    I was under the impression this was a radio forum.
    You might like to try http://www.politicsforum.org/.

Having joined the millions tuning-in to Scottie McClue's Mega Phone-in over the years, I recall him setting a few ground rules at the start of every show - No politics, no religion, no football and no filthy, mucky gobs.

One can only assume you're on some misguided crusade to cleanse the BBC of every person who holds a political viewpoint different to your own.

Unless, of course, you're simply a belwether for a rival broadcaster.
    The dear reader will decide.
This discussion has been closed.