So whats your Broadband speed at the moment?

Comments

• ShearwaterShearwater Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    2430703409.png

It's getting better - used to be about half this speed
  • richardcdonrichardcdon Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2273399869.png

71.12Mbps down/16.31 Mbps up, BT Infinity 2, wired.

You lucky b****** do you want to share that :D
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Mr Subcontractor of Mr Openreach has visited this morning and I now have a connection to the exchange of 18767kbps. ( I think that's an improvement on what it was at the old house)

But for some unknown reason, someone at BT HQ hasn't connected my phone number with this line (IE the exchange computer work) So I'm sat here still on my mobile dongle until my orange router light turns green!

I did ask (after plying him with coffee) if there was "Fibre to my pole yet". "Doubt it" was the non-committal reply.
  • Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,618
    Forum Member
    Well Mr Subcontractor of Mr Openreach has visited this morning and I now have a connection to the exchange of 18767kbps. ( I think that's an improvement on what it was at the old house)

But for some unknown reason, someone at BT HQ hasn't connected my phone number with this line (IE the exchange computer work) So I'm sat here still on my mobile dongle until my orange router light turns green!

I did ask (after plying him with coffee) if there was "Fibre to my pole yet". "Doubt it" was the non-committal reply.

That's because fibre goes to a cabinet not a pole
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's because fibre goes to a cabinet not a pole

Yes I know that and he knew what I meant and answered.

Anyway, they have just now done what they needed and my connection has dropped to about 3.5mbs :(

The next 10 days of testing are going to be painful!

Why not start at 10000000000000Mbs and work downwards? :D *

*That's called a joke for the pendants waiting to waste a post correcting each any every word.
  • Old DudeOld Dude Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    I switched to Infinity Option 2 in December 2010 and it was brilliant. The download speed to my home office which was connected to the hub via home plug was often better than 40Mbps. The upload was usually just under 8Mbps. The download speed to an Ethernet connected PC adjacent to the Home Hub usually managed two to three Mbps more than the office PC.

It was great until early to mid 2012 when the speed deteriorated. Eventually when it occasionally dropped to 12Mbps I was irritated enough to phone BT and complain. Someone had a fiddle with it and the speed went up to 38Mbps. They said it should pretty much always be 38 but maybe sometimes it would drop to 35 temporarily.

Some months ago we had an invitation to upgrade free to Infinity 2 but as the download speed increase was only estimated as ‘up to 46Mbps’ it didn’t seem like much of a big deal. Their estimate of the ‘new’ upload speed was what we were already getting anyway.

However, things began to get slower again, so over the Christmas period I did some checking and sure enough we seemed to be lucky to get download speeds higher than in the mid twenties. I took the free upgrade to Infinity 2 two weeks ago because the estimated download speed was now significantly more than we appeared to be getting. I imagined that if there was a BT problem, this would flush it out. I didn’t mind extending my contract period to get the upgrade as I have no plans to change provider.

The estimated new upload speed was exceeded and in practice it was achieving 13-14Mbs.

Using an Ethernet connection to a single PC at a time with everything else knocked off, the forecast 46Mbps download speed wasn’t being achieved, nor was the 38Mbps we’d been told should be our normal speed for Infinity (1). It looked as though only the upload speed had been improved.

That made me a bit suspicious and I looked into things a bit more and found that the download performance was flat topping at 100% CPU usage and that this was probably the limiting factor rather than there being a broadband issue.

I tested the theory using another PC that is a hardware clone of my office PC but has hardly any software on it as it is only used for video editing. It achieved a 59Mbps download speed and the same 13-14Mbps upload speed.

I borrowed a new Intel I5 based laptop and connected that via Ethernet too. That achieved a 62.9 Mbps download speed.

I was glad I hadn’t gone off on one with BT about their failed promises on performance as they’re doing much better than they estimated.
  • Mr CynicMr Cynic Posts: 5,435
    Forum Member
    Talk Talk

12 Mb download, 350k Upload.

Be upgrading to their Fiber Large next month.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    59-71 Mb/s down and 15-19 Mb/s up (measured using M-Labs' NDT tool). I thought FTTC was not supposed to vary by much. Mine does.
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    BT Infinity 2

75MB Download 17MB Upload

source: speedtest.net
  • eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A blindingly quick 1.7 MB download and 0.7 MB upload. It was quicker than this (well over 2 MB download) early last year but strangely dropped just after the three month cool off period with Plusnet ended.
  • VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Existing BT BB Unlimited customer now upgraded for free to BT Infinity 2 (Unlimited). Had it for six weeks now.

57Mbps down, 12 up.

£13.25 a month.
  • SmiffySmiffy Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    With Sky at the moment....

10.9Mb download
    0.7 Mb upload

Just waiting for my mac code and then switching to Plusnet Fibre
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smiffy wrote: »
    With Sky at the moment....

10.9Mb download
    0.7 Mb upload

Just waiting for my mac code and then switching to Plusnet Fibre

Why not Sky fibre?
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Cynic wrote: »
    Talk Talk

12 Mb download, 350k Upload.

Be upgrading to their Fibre Large next month.

Good move, the difference is amazing :cool:
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT have found out the problem with my speed dropping at peak times and it is a capacity issue at my exchange. Apparently it won't be rectifed until the end of Feb, but they have gave me a month free for the hassel. See what happens after the 28th.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well at my new house it has settled at 14.5 Mb download and the usual poxy .9Mb upload.

Still I was only getting 10 Mb at the old address and that was only when the wind was blowing in the right direction, so it's an improvement.
  • bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    A solid 29mbps on vm :)
  • DykeolicousDykeolicous Posts: 3,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just moved to Hyperoptic as they're cabled up my building, I get 98Mb/s download and about 90Mb/s upload.

(They do have a £50 a month option that gives 1Gb/s download and upload speeds)
  • Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BT - 14MB :) checked on 3 different speed testers....I can only get a max of 17 on my line..
  • bob fossilbob fossil Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2514468071.png

Previous download (Sky) was around 0.5Mbps on a good day
  • Steve MorganSteve Morgan Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Smallworld Cable 40MB

It is exactly what it say on the tin with a cracking upload speed to

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2514526823.png
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member