New TV Advice

I currently have a 32" Sony Bravia TV in my living room. I'm thinking of upgrading to a newer, bigger smart TV. Now, when looking at 32" TV's in the shop they seem smaller in size than the 32" TV I have so I'm thinking that upgrading to a 37" TV would not be much of a step up from the 32" I currently have. So, should I go for a 40" then, or even a 42"?

Also, what brand of Smart TV's are the best? I like Samsung's and would like to have Freeview HD and also an MPEG 4 tuner for receiption of the ROI TV channels. Cheers. :)

Comments

• -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    To get the benefits from HD material you really need a screen size of 40" or larger.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i dont think you need worry about MPEG4, if you are getting a FreeviewHD tv (part of the same spec).

if you rely on a service such as Sky, Freesat, or Cable, then the screen is just that - a screen. The box and service provides the picture and any interactive services.

As for the Smart part, dont expect a PC in a TV, it isnt like that. More like a Smart phone in a tv, without the phone part. Can be awkward to use, eg using a remote control to input text, and navigate around. If you want a PC experience on a tv then the best option is to plug a PC into the tv using a HDMI cable.

You can see the difference between SD and HD pictures on sets under 40in, its just that the difference becomes less and less, the smaller the screen is. But how much the difference is also depends on how far away from the set you sit (the closer you are the bigger the difference even on sub 40in screens) and how well each model of HD screen handles the SD picture - some do a better job than others.

Other stuff to consider:-

The sound might not be very good - the thinner the set the smaller the speakers.

Scart (lack of) connections.
    While the number of HDMI connections has increased, the number of legacy Scart sockets has been cut. Its now common to have just a single Scart socket. Also, this single scart might be provided only by use of an adaptor cable (to enable a micro Scart port on the set its self to keep the tv thin).
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going from a 32" LCD from a few years back with a thick border / cabinet to a 40" or 42" will seem a good improvement for at least 2 or 3 days !

Think outside the box and look ahead HD comes to life at 46 , 50 or 55" Looks realy stunning . As others have said , connect your PC via HDMI for the real experience but if BBC iplayer and stream some content via your network is all you want then most smart TV's will do .
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't have the space to get anything bigger than a 40''. The TV is in an alcove under the stairs and only have limited space available, but we could get away with maybe a 37'' or a 40'' at a push but certainly not any bigger.

I don't want the smart TV for any other purpose than it will have the BBC/ITV player apps and the Netflix app as it will be handy to use it if there's nothing on the TV. I won't be using the browser or any social networking stuff or the likes.

I don't have any devices that have SCART, I have a DVD Recorder that connects by HDMI (which will be changed to a BluRay player after Christmas, and a Freesat PVR which again is connected by HDMI. It will also be used for some gaming from an XBOX 360 and a Wii / Wii U.
  • StilianStilian Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Also, what brand of Smart TV's are the best? I like Samsung's and would like to have Freeview HD and also an MPEG 4 tuner for receiption of the ROI TV channels. Cheers. :)

Just make sure you don't get a screen bigger than you want. The big size is only important when buying 3D TV. For smaller screen it is the quality that you want. I have better movie experience on my 4.6-inch Galaxy Nexus HD screen rather than on my 19-inch PC screen just because of the higher resolution and better quality of the smaller screen. So make sure you are after quality, size is not that important when talking about home TV-s. I would recommend you to go to a tech store and compare different sizes and brands. I myself prefer Samsung and LG for a mid-range spec TV. My personal best in the 40-inch category was the Sharp AQUOS LC40LE831E but I don't think it is for sale anymore. Samsung Series 5 D5000 was also a big seller in this category. If you want a bigger 42-inch screen I'd recommend the LG 42LV550T. Good luck with your choice.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whatever you decide, try before you buy.
  • StilianStilian Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote: »
    whatever you decide, try before you buy.

I agree, that's a good advice :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »

I don't want the smart TV for any other purpose than it will have the BBC/ITV player apps and the Netflix app as it will be handy to use it if there's nothing on the TV.

Itv Player's the only one of your wish list missing from XBox360 Partners so I would stick with your current set up a while longer and enjoy the 32" and, if you doo upgrade to a larger screen, forget about the Smart Apps bit as there's no point in paying for features you already have on your existing tech. Similarly go for a BluRay player without Smart Apps if the XBox 360 ticks your connected TV needs.

I used to use a good screen magnifier with a 19" CRT 4:3:D and gave the magnifier away to a care home when I went up to a 24" CRT screen size.

Screen size affects viewing distance: maybe 32" is the right size to stick with?

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PS, Paddy, BBC iPlayer and Netflix are also available on your Wii console. BBC iPlayer and The Space are already on your Freesat PVR: sorry, but ITV is unable to provide ITV Player to viewers outside in England, Wales and some Scottish Border areas. 4oD and Demand 5 are on their way soon.

Get out the written or online instructions and have a play with the apps you already have in your living room and save your UK pennies or Eurocents for another treat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come to think of it try and borrow or hire a BluRay Player to see if it's any better than the upscaling from your DVD Recorder. Again, no point in shelling out if what you already have is what works for you.
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    Come to think of it try and borrow or hire a BluRay Player to see if it's any better than the upscaling from your DVD Recorder. Again, no point in shelling out if what you already have is what works for you.

Big objection to this is that no DVD recorder can play Blu Ray discs - and it is very unlikely that a DVD recorder will upscale as well as a Blu Ray player will.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    Big objection to this is that no DVD recorder can play Blu Ray discs - and it is very unlikely that a DVD recorder will upscale as well as a Blu Ray player will.

The TV will upscale anyway (and a decent TV will usually upscale better than an upscaling DVD player), but BD players are usually better than TV's at upscaling DVD's.