Latest Chrome update changes

Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone noticed that in the latest stable Chrome version (29.0.1547.62) there has been a change to the font size in the address bar? There's also been a another change to the omnibox results too.

Not sure whether it's a good/bad change in terms of functionality.

http://postimg.org/image/40qq1kzrr/full/

Comments

• noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't know, I use a chrome clone and I am still on version 22. something or other.
    but it looks different from your picture.
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    I stopped using Chrome after an update a year or so ago. Every time a new tab was opened, instead of my homepage, some Google apps page appeared and there was no way (I found) of changing it.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Looks bigger, I think.
    I don't use Chrome much but went to 'about Chrome' and it started updating but stayed on 0% for 10 minutes and was using all my processor and loads of ram, had to be shut down with task manager.
    I uninstalled and and then installed the new version and that went smoothly.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Pencil wrote: »
    I stopped using Chrome after an update a year or so ago. Every time a new tab was opened, instead of my homepage, some Google apps page appeared and there was no way (I found) of changing it.

Settings / On Startup / Open a specific page or set of pages.
  • Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Address Box text font is marginally larger, so trivial I'm not so sure.

Whilst you can set the Opening/Home page, you can't with the New Tab, that is limited to 2 choices (I think....).

Go to the bottom of the New Tab page and you have a choice of 'Most Visited or 'Apps'. This seems to hold the next time you open Chrome.

Personally I use 'about:blank' for Homepage, or a number of Tabs, but you cannot do that for New Tabs.

The updating as mentioned is clunky. I have to exit via the Task Manager and Re-Boot, and then go back to 'About' again and eventually it says 'Re-Start Chrome'.

I thought that was due to me stopping/fiddling with the Google Update Tasks in the Windows Scheduled tasks, two of them. Irritating overly frequent auto-updating I don't like.
  • ShimanoShimano Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wish they'd add a proper drop-down history like IE and a 'go' button. Also I wish 'open in new window' would follow the same metrics as the parent window instead of being in a different position.
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Comodo Dragon is based on Chrome & does have a drop down history
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, the font is bigger and heavier.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »
    Why would you want your home page to appear (again) when opening a new tab?

Rather than display a blank page, it normally shows thumbnails of your 8 most visited pages OR the Google apps page. You can choose which you want by clicking the tab at the bottom of the screen. I don't see a problem.
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am using Comodo Dragon based on Chrome.My home page is set as about:blank
    So tabs also open as a blank page
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    Why would you want your home page to appear (again) when opening a new tab?

Rather than display a blank page, it normally shows thumbnails of your 8 most visited pages OR the Google apps page. You can choose which you want by clicking the tab at the bottom of the screen. I don't see a problem.

Because MY home page has links to about 30 sites I use regularly, several RSS feeds and other widgets.

I'd very much like my home page on new tabs.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    max99 wrote: »
    Settings / On Startup / Open a specific page or set of pages.

Turns out this doesn't actually work, but there are extensions available which will allow you to customise the New Tab.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/new-tab-redirect/icpgjfneehieebagbmdbhnlpiopdcmna?hl=en
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed this.

Also mine updated itself two days ago and it lost all of my settings, luckily it didn't get rid of my bookmarks.