Susanne Manning - Missed Opportunity!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,279
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi guys!

Just going through some of my old favourite contestants...

I remember on Pop Idol 2 I absolutely loved Susanne Manning (now Courtney) - the judges wildcard and initial favourite

I don't want to talk about it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxuN1XnMdhk

Ironic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KssBRudOU8w&feature=related

She was really quirky and unique! I remember she lost some support with rumours of slagging off Michelle McManus but I think she'd have a great chance of making it today...

To use something Simon Cowell has been throwing about a lot lately she sounds 'current' in the kind of Duffy sounding age that we are in at the moment! And I found her personality great as well!

She's now called Susanne Courtney and apparently presents on BBC Radio Berkshire every morning.......would just like her to give the singing another try!

Any other fans???

Comments

• PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Hi guys!

Just going through some of my old favourite contestants...

I remember on Pop Idol 2 I absolutely loved Susanne Manning (now Courtney) - the judges wildcard and initial favourite

I don't want to talk about it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxuN1XnMdhk

Ironic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KssBRudOU8w&feature=related

She was really quirky and unique! I remember she lost some support with rumours of slagging off Michelle McManus but I think she'd have a great chance of making it today...

To use something Simon Cowell has been throwing about a lot lately she sounds 'current' in the kind of Duffy sounding age that we are in at the moment! And I found her personality great as well!

She's now called Susanne Courtney and apparently presents on BBC Radio Berkshire every morning.......would just like her to give the singing another try!

Any other fans???

Yes, I loved her voice and her personality. Come back and sing Susanne!
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yep
    My fav Pop Idol :) Would love to have eard more of her.
  • titfortattitfortat Posts: 9,126
    Forum Member
    From what I remeber she just total cracked under the presure of being the early fav and after her second live performance in the final 10 just was horrible.

I think of she had kept the standard up she would of won
  • stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    Suzanne was one of my favourites that year. I much prefer her 'unique' style of singing to Diana's. My other favourite was Roxanne Cooper. She had the whole package, and I don't know why we've never heard of her again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMdONN0HCnA&feature=related
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stargirl1 wrote: »
    Suzanne was one of my favourites that year. I much prefer her 'unique' style of singing to Diana's. My other favourite was Roxanne Cooper. She had the whole package, and I don't know why we've never heard of her again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMdONN0HCnA&feature=related

I agree, her style of unique singing was a good one in my opinion. I wonder what happened to her.
  • Morgan66Morgan66 Posts: 1,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was my favourite that year. Sam was my favourite after she left. I'll never understand why Michell McManus won that year. :confused:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I loved Susanne's individuality - her voice, her dress sense and her personality were so different to everyone else.

I rememeber downloading her performances - I still have them on a cd somewhere!

I wish she'd got further. She had far more potential than Michelle.

(My favourite performance of hers was 'Only You' originally sung by Yazoo)
  • deano8856deano8856 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sam Nixon all the way :p

I still have the christmas album somewhere :p

That was my favourite year of any singing shows tbh.

I liked Mark aswell, but Sam was the best ;)

Chris was also awesome that year :)
  • yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,502
    Forum Member
    She was great; however the first victim of someone who didn't do well with the themes that were thrown at her.

As a niche artist and had she been able to sing songs in her own style then she probably could've got to the final.

However she didn't do that great under the themes - its a shame really
  • yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,502
    Forum Member
    Morgan66 wrote: »
    She was my favourite that year. Sam was my favourite after she left. I'll never understand why Michell McManus won that year. :confused:

I know... when you looked who the final 12 were, there was about 5 or 6 people who should've made the final over them 2

Sam, Roxanne, Chris H, Sam.... even Andy would've made a better Pop Idol really
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    She was great; however the first victim of someone who didn't do well with the themes that were thrown at her.

As a niche artist and had she been able to sing songs in her own style then she probably could've got to the final.

However she didn't do that great under the themes - its a shame really

You're right.

I seem to recall her struggling immensely with the Disco theme and it all going downhill from there :(

Give her a song that suited her and she was in a class of her own - one of the few contestants to be able to evoke emotion in the listener with her voice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sid_1979 wrote: »
    I loved Susanne's individuality - her voice, her dress sense and her personality were so different to everyone else.

I rememeber downloading her performances - I still have them on a cd somewhere!

I wish she'd got further. She had far more potential than Michelle.

(My favourite performance of hers was 'Only You' originally sung by Yazoo)

Completely agree with this, I think I did too......it's funny there's songs I still really like....Ticket to Ride (Beatles), Cry Me a River (Julie London), Only You, I don't want to talk about it....

I think it was Susanne who really got me into all those songs! I'm only just remembering now!

Agree with the comments people have said too - she definitely evoked emotion, and I agree when Simon said she looked great on camera....

I'm half tempted to email BBC Berkshire and say we want her back - I think she would boost the Over 25s this year!!
  • MixstarMixstar Posts: 9,290
    Forum Member
    I'm glad I'm not alone, I loved Susanne, definatey a missed opportunities. If I remember correctly she also has bad press for allegedly bad mouthing Michelle McManus, but I never believed that. I was a big Michelle fan too and was happy she won, but my second favourite was defiantely Susanne! She sounded a bit like Sophie Ellis-Bextor, which is no bad thing mind! :D
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon saud that Ticket to Ride was a car crash. For me it was one of her best. Miss her :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Count me in. I've often wondered how she ever got *on* the show when you think of the narrow range of commercial viablity that currently gets cast.

But I suppose back then the producers were still discovering the format so some unique talent slipped through the net. Laura Walsh reminded me a bit of her, as someone who didn't quite fit the mold.

But yeah, Susanne was lovely.
  • EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I loved Susanne :(

PI2 was a terrible result, the top 12 were a good bunch but two of the worst made the final :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Ticket to Ride too - it was no car crash - it was a great song for her to sing !!

I heard somewhere that insiders thought she was too much like Sophie Ellis Bextor.....they turned against her as they were worried what would happen if she won....

Now I think she'd have a great chance
  • GonzoTheGreatGonzoTheGreat Posts: 4,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/berkshire/content/articles/2006/02/01/radioberks_susanne_courtney_feature.shtml

... i believe shes left tho!

I liked her but did agree she was a bit Sophie Ellis, i thought the contestants that year on PI could sing but none of them had much star quality about them. Chris is still knocking around singing as well with a new look.
  • muppeteermuppeteer Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/berkshire/content/articles/2006/02/01/radioberks_susanne_courtney_feature.shtml

... i believe shes left tho!

I liked her but did agree she was a bit Sophie Ellis, i thought the contestants that year on PI could sing but none of them had much star quality about them. Chris is still knocking around singing as well with a new look.

I agree, I was addicted to the first series of Pop Idol, couldn't bear to miss an episode, but I never got into the second series, there were some good singers but many of them lacked personality, and the better ones got kicked out too early. The winner was a joke TBH.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I loved this series the best out of all the pop idols/x factors. I loved Susanne, she was my second favourite after Sam Nixon!
    If she was recording now I reckon she could do really well in today's music industry.