images compressed when using O2

chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
Forum Member
✭✭
are O2 the only network that compress images (degrading them in the process) when using mobile data?

Comments

• tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's fairly commonplace as far as I know.

To stop it, you can change the username in your APN settings from o2web to faster and this should stop the image compression.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes as far as I know. They are doing this to conserve bandwidth. I would expect them to continue this on 4G as they don't have much spectrum. The good news is its easy to switch off by changing the APN.

APN: mobile.o2.co.uk
    Username: bypass
    Password: password
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ok so i'm currently using

mobile.o2.co.uk
    o2web
    and whatever the password is

so what should i change the username to? i've had 2 different answers so far (faster and bypass).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had an iPhone, so I was using the username vertigo - which didn't compress images.

From what I can tell doing some google searches, faster and bypass will both turn off the image compression. (And if the password field gets reset, the password is usually just password)

Give both a try and see!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and changing the username won't affect data allowances or cause any other issues ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't have any effect on data allowances.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    will give it a go and see
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anyone got a good example to test the difference?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    using bypass just now, and images still look suspiciously compressed/low quality.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are dreadful on a 2013 smartphone, which if you buy a high end device is 1080p resolution, but some networks are making imaged really low quality by default.

I don't have this problem, but I know a couple of networks do use aggressive image compression, and even auto downgrade video quality on the fly.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T-Mobile's compression is horrendous by default, they also mangle JavaScript too :rolleyes: - You can turn theirs off at http://accelerator.t-mobile.co.uk and over HSDPA the pages load noticeably faster with the compression off!

When you have a network which can deliver DVB-S video streams (from TV Headend via a VPN) to my mobile why do they need image compression (some of the lowest quality channels even work when on Edge :eek: )
  • Skippy2005Skippy2005 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    using bypass just now, and images still look suspiciously compressed/low quality.

You need to change the apn mobile.02.co.uk, this is the case even if you have an iphone, android, windows or blackberry.

The username and password HAS to be change to bypass, then restart your phone. This will remove both the speed restrictions and image compression.

Have fun :-)
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    EE 4G has no compression on images. being a premium service I doubt O2 or Voda do on 4G but would have to check.
    kev wrote: »
    T-Mobile's compression is horrendous by default, they also mangle JavaScript too :rolleyes: - You can turn theirs off at http://accelerator.t-mobile.co.uk and over HSDPA the pages load noticeably faster with the compression off!

When you have a network which can deliver DVB-S video streams (from TV Headend via a VPN) to my mobile why do they need image compression (some of the lowest quality channels even work when on Edge :eek: )

You can also bypass orange's by using the same link just replace t-mobile with orange. Not everyone is streaming video if they were it would have melt down however most people ARE surfing content with email, checking Facebook, etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do Three do anything like this?
  • ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xreyuk123 wrote: »

I don't believe so. Download a few images on your home broadband connection and then download the same images via your mobile connection and compare the file sizes.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    xreyuk123 wrote: »

They do not
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to many web sites gives you very low quality images anyway on mobile.

Are you not getting mixed up with high quality slow loading desktop sites? I think it is not always apparent when a web site is using low quality mobile mode.
  • danielmeahdanielmeah Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    EE 4G has no compression on images. being a premium service I doubt O2 or Voda do on 4G but would have to check.

You can also bypass orange's by using the same link just replace t-mobile with orange. Not everyone is streaming video if they were it would have melt down however most people ARE surfing content with email, checking Facebook, etc.

o2 are still doing it on 4G, on the other hand it still is there on EE's side but its disabled (the proxy gives this away)
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O2's image compression does exist on 4G but as with 3G it isn't actually applied uniformly everywhere. The extent and presence of it varies from cellsite to cellsite.