Can I use google chrome despite previous problems?

I ended up damaging an old laptop in sheer frustration after it slowed down to a snail's pace and kept crashing. After the fact I realised it was Shockwave crashing that caused it, but when I got my new laptop the same thing kept happening.

It seemed to always occur in conjunction with google chrome so I took someone's advice and uninstalled all adobe flash and google chrome stuff. I have started using the maxthion browser instead but I've noticed it doesn't use adblock and although it has another ad blocking programme it only seems to work 75% of the time if youtube is anything to go by, and there are also ad banners on some other sites.

Is it safe for me to download and start using chrome again if I do it in conjunction with some other action?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah.
  • monochrome headmonochrome head Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Anyone like to give me a more comprehensive answer? Is there anything I can do to make sure it doesn't happen again?

I avoided running Flash even with a different browser this time.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My advice FWIW is give Chrome a try. If Chrome gives trouble, stop using it. If problems still persist, uninstall Chrome.

This is probably obvious but perhaps worth mentioning: Chrome includes Adobe Flash Player, so you don't need to download or install it separately for Chrome. (You might possibly want to do so for IE or Firefox though.)
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Anyone like to give me a more comprehensive answer? Is there anything I can do to make sure it doesn't happen again?

I avoided running Flash even with a different browser this time.

Yes, fine, download it, run it - see what it's like.

Just be more careful this time and much something more solid!
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    install chrome. Go to the plugins page (by typing chrome://plugins into the address bar). Disable Flash, and anything else that might give you grief.

Done.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hide your toolbox first.
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    II have started using the maxthion browser instead but I've noticed it doesn't use adblock and although it has another ad blocking programme it only seems to work 75% of the time if youtube is anything to go by, and there are also ad banners on some other sites.
    If you don't want to use Chrome, have you tried Firefox or Opera instead, they both have Adblock extensions.