Windows Media Player Library

trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a large media library that is stored on my NAS, the majority of it was ripped from CDs over several weekends of hard labour several years ago and is in WMA format. It has now become apparent that this was not the most sensible choice of format with several devices on the network demanding MP3 format.

I really didn't want to re-rip hundreds of CDs so I found a batch converter and I set all the files converting and left them until they finished. I then deleted all the WMA files leaving only the MP3 files in the same directories. The problem is that the converter has not preserved the meta-data in the files. All the details still exist in the WMDB files of Windows Media Player but obviously playing these files through WMP will not work as it is expecting the WMA file.

Does anyone know if there is an easy way (as in not operator intensive) of getting this stored information into the MP3 files?

Comments

• ShallShall Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    trphil wrote: »
    I have a large media library that is stored on my NAS, the majority of it was ripped from CDs over several weekends of hard labour several years ago and is in WMA format. It has now become apparent that this was not the most sensible choice of format with several devices on the network demanding MP3 format.

I really didn't want to re-rip hundreds of CDs so I found a batch converter and I set all the files converting and left them until they finished. I then deleted all the WMA files leaving only the MP3 files in the same directories. The problem is that the converter has not preserved the meta-data in the files. All the details still exist in the WMDB files of Windows Media Player but obviously playing these files through WMP will not work as it is expecting the WMA file.

Does anyone know if there is an easy way (as in not operator intensive) of getting this stored information into the MP3 files?

I use MP3Tag (freeware) Which takes some getting used to but once you are then I find tagging no a breeze. You can tag files based on the file name or from info gathered on the net. I think it's going to be a long process however you do it to be honest.

However are you aware that converting from WMA to MP3 is a lossy to lossy convertion. So when you ripped the CD to WMA you lost some detail. There will have been a further loss converting that to MP3.

If it were me. I'd re rip all the CD's to FLAC for storage. This is a lossless codec. Store them as FLAC then convert the FLAC rips to MP3 for your use. Anytime you want a different format you convert the FLAC file so there is only ever a single Lossless to Lossy Conversion.

At the very least I would suggest re ripping the CD's to MP3