How do you decide what to listen to?

clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
Forum Member
Just a few years ago unless you were so rich you could buy hundreds of albums your decision would have been based on what you owned or by the radio. Now with the internet there are millions of songs instantly available. As well as listening to what I know and like I try to listen to random stuff I have not heard before sometimes it is through recommendations by other people, sometimes through the similar artists tag, at the moment I am listening to a band because I was looking for gigs at a specific venue.

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I normally decide depending on the genre, hype or whether the artist/band have similarities to artists i already love. It can vary.
  • AdamDowdsAdamDowds Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I follow the genres I like from blogs, Last.fm, Allmusic, Facebook or whatever and see which names interest me. Of artists I've known a long time I try similar artists, but I might also try other artists on the same label (4AD, Future Classic, Moshi Moshi being a few examples).

Recently I've found some great bands through Spotify's Discover feature. They're just like "this band is recommended for you" and I listen to them and am like "they are amazing!"
  • afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,153
    Forum Member
    I listen to perhaps the best New Releases' play-list that you'll find on Spotify: an eclectic weekly mix of over 100 of the best new Single and EP tracks around at the moment:

www.spoti.fi/OQ15nN

OK, so I curate it myself; nevertheless, the point still stands.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever i feel like at the time. Or reccomendations/Hype so basically its a mood thing for me.
  • BeatsDuJourBeatsDuJour Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    I go on a few music sites that will ask you to type in the name of a band or singer so that the site can recommend similar sounding artists. You can also choose your mood or what genre of music you're interested in so the site can recommend things using those details as well. I've also found out about quite a few great bands and singers just buy clicking the recommendations that pop up on iTunes when looking at specific artists that I like. CDbaby.com is a great site to discover new music.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Whatever i feel like at the time. Or reccomendations/Hype so basically its a mood thing for me.

Same here. I tend to avoid hype though :p
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a mixture of sources; The Guardian/Observer music sections, Later....with Jools Holland, recommendations on Spotify and Digital Spy Threads and Radio 6 and Soma FM radio. I also trawl Youtube from time to time.

I listen to all genres and types of music.
  • AdamDowdsAdamDowds Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    afcbfan wrote: »
    I listen to perhaps the best New Releases' play-list that you'll find on Spotify: an eclectic weekly mix of over 100 of the best new Single and EP tracks around at the moment:

www.spoti.fi/OQ15nN

This is a brilliant playlist, and have been wanting to find the creator for ages! Found some great tunes across the weeks, and even had some before you even put them on!

But I should probably add that I tune into 6 Music and the BBC Introducing show on BBC Sussex when I can for new discoveries. Being a radio man I should be listening to as much radio as possible!
    Forum Member
    Why, thank you. I originally started it as an alternative to the poor choice of breakfast music radio I had, but it's grown to the extent that I haven't listened to the radio at all for, oooh, it must be three years or more.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nowadays, I flick through the music channels to see if anything catches my eye or ears.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a pretty catholic taste in music. Anything from Industrial Metal through Classical to Country.
    I usually find new stuff to listen to via recommendations on Allmusic, iTunes or links posted on DS
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

www.spoti.fi/OQ15nN

Within half an hour I've already found two or three tracks I really love.
    I curse you as i think I'm going to be spending far too much time on there in the future. ;)
  • mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends sometimes I listen to a new album I just bought/downloaded non-stop . Other times I'll shuffle but keep flicking through until I find a song I want or I'll listen to one of my favourite artists or I listen to current songs. I usually flick through youtube and click the videos at the side or check out last fm. Loads of music i've found by clicking random songs on youtube then I find other songs by that singer.
  • ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The simple answer to the thread is that I say "er... what shall I listen to, I know I'll listen to that".
    Forum Member
    Hayden wrote: »
    Within half an hour I've already found two or three tracks I really love.
    I curse you as i think I'm going to be spending far too much time on there in the future. ;)

Apologies :D

I'm just about to put on this week's selection; some great tunes on there again. Really liking the latest Dark Bells and Yuna efforts.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whatever I've just bought. All my old stuff's in storage.
  • scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clarribo wrote: »
    unless you were so rich you could buy hundreds of albums
    I'm not rich and I've thousands of albums on record and CD. :eek:
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find a band I like on Bandcamp and I click on a tag and go exploring.
  • clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member

www.spoti.fi/OQ15nN

Have to laugh put your latest playlist on shuffle thinking ooh might find some great new stuff.... first song...one direction!
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch a lot of American tv so get a lot of my new music from those programmes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the moment i'm ripping all my cds and vinyl to iTunes so what i'm listening to is governed by that. Some of it I haven't played for years so it's nice to hear again.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    I watch a lot of American tv so get a lot of my new music from those programmes

Ray Donovan was an absolute goldmine for great but slightly obscure music.

I mostly find new music by listening online to American public radio or some of the more imaginative European stations.
    Forum Member
    clarribo wrote: »
    Have to laugh put your latest playlist on shuffle thinking ooh might find some great new stuff.... first song...one direction!

I take pride in my playlist being a broad church; "Let a hundred flowers bloom," as Mao Zedong once said :D