Stephen Fry: Gadget Man, C4&HD 8.30pm, 19-26 Nov, 3-10-17-24 Dec

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Back in Aug 2011 C4 screened Stephen Fry’s 100 Greatest Gadgets, so a sort of follow-up.

Brilliantly scheduled against C5's The Gadget Show. Genius programming.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/stephen-fry-gadget-man

Tonight he invites Jonathan Ross to try gadgets to make commuting easier.

Radio Times review http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/szg7x/stephen-fry-gadget-man--series-1---1-super-commuter

Comments

• jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back in Aug 2011 C4 screened Stephen Fry’s 100 Greatest Gadgets, so a sort of follow-up.

Tonight he invites Jonathan Ross to try gadgets to make commuting easier.

Radio Times review http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/szg7x/stephen-fry-gadget-man--series-1---1-super-commuter
    Why should I give a flying monkeys what Jonathan Ross thinks about anything?
  • stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the reminder! I'd prefer an hour-long format, but let's see how it goes.
  • StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Both programmes are made by the same company apparently !
    Dancc wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D:D

All these people bigging up Stephen Fry's show about gadgets (before it's even aired) ought to know it's made by North One - the exact same company that makes The Gadget Show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm enjoying it. Judging by this thread's disappearance to "page two" I'm guessing nobody else is watching :O
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 4 have been really silly with there schedule lately but is on my planner.
    I have TGS on.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stu0rt wrote: »
    I'm enjoying it. Judging by this thread's disappearance to "page two" I'm guessing nobody else is watching :O

I'm just about to go and watch it - was faffing around online sorting something out but all done now.
  • twogunthomtwogunthom Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Gadget Show meets Top Gear. Durys out
  • DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    It was alright. More of a light hearted look at gadgets than a detailed review.

Not bad.
  • WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recorded for viewing later. Watched or suffered the Gadget show.
  • twogunthomtwogunthom Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I switched over from The Gadget Show which started with a megaphone docking station for the Iphone. Polly does a bunge jump then 2 apps for the Iphone with the if just stand like that I can get the Apple logo in shot, and again and again and again. Bullshit
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, that was almost entirely devoid of original thought... And what is he doing with that beard?
  • Mr MertonMr Merton Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    A pleasant enough diversion for half an hour but doesn't really feel like essential viewing to me somehow. Stephen Fry doesn't look as good as Jonathan Ross with a beard but that could just be because I'm more used to seeing Ross with a beard.

It's better than The Gadget Show but there again so is visiting the dentist...
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was OK, could do without Jonathon Ross dressed up like yardie though :confused:
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was terrific. Really nice pace to it - not too in your face, but not too slow and techy either.

Fry has always been quite genial IMO so it gave it a "comfy" sort of feel in a sense and it had some good laughs along the way as well.

Just hope it continues in the same vein really.
  • DxfatassDxfatass Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing too revolutionary - but it just shows you the value of a terrific presenter. I'm sure if Stephen Fry presented The Gadget Show instead of Jason Bradbury, then about 95% of my complaints of that show would be resolved. That would actually also be true if Mr Bradbury were just replaced by anyone at all.

Agree that I like the pace of this show, and though it's rather short I did like his thoughts and experiences of the gadgets. Interesting that he had the same toy as Polly did on TGS - much more engaging on this programme I felt.

I look forward to the one next week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dxfatass wrote: »
    Nothing too revolutionary - but it just shows you the value of a terrific presenter. I'm sure if Stephen Fry presented The Gadget Show instead of Jason Bradbury, then about 95% of my complaints of that show would be resolved. That would actually also be true if Mr Bradbury were just replaced by anyone at all.
    I'd say Fry's presence was the real saving grace although I like the idea that each show is themed along using tech to solve a problem which afflicts us all, or at least the majority of us. The actual presentation other than Fry's personality felt very... stale. The box outs with prices and what have you look like they belonged on an episode of Robot Wars from the mid 90's. Also a lot of the tech isn't actually that new or indeed unusual. There's a Twizy that parks in my works car park and I've seen several about and I'm not even in London.

Plus from this and next weeks' preview, it seems rather too celebrity obsessed for it's own good. I don't honestly think Derren Brown is any better a judge of technology than any random person they could drag in off the street.
    Agree that I like the pace of this show, and though it's rather short I did like his thoughts and experiences of the gadgets.
    It did have a more 'personal' show than TGS that's for sure. But when the main hook of your show is the presenter rather than the gadgets, that's kind of where you have to go. He's an amiable enough presence to hold it together for a while but I'm not sure it's a long-term several series prospect.
    Interesting that he had the same toy as Polly did on TGS - much more engaging on this programme I felt.
    Frankly I think the TGS segment on it gave a much better impression of the glasses actual capabilities, interface and operation than Fry's did. I thought he rather skirted over the details. The only thing Fry showed us was that the 'shades' are detachable to make them look less like you're a blind person. Other than that, TGS made a better show of how they work and how you operate them. For example, did Fry actually show you the touchpad controller? I don't think he did...
    I look forward to the one next week.
    Hmm.. catch up material IMO I"m afraid...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed it.
    That backwards bike looked horrendous.The self inflating helmet was a really good idea but at 400 quid for one go...
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So next week's is all about food gadgets, isn't that an area that Heston has already coveted in great detail about a thousand time previously??
  • DxfatassDxfatass Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    It did have a more 'personal' show than TGS that's for sure. But when the main hook of your show is the presenter rather than the gadgets, that's kind of where you have to go. He's an amiable enough presence to hold it together for a while but I'm not sure it's a long-term several series prospect.

This is true I agree, though it is only the first effort so I'm expecting some development on that front. It seems no gadget-type show can exist without some type of "project" so I can live with that, but I'm not too much in love the "celeb" angle either - that could get old very fast.
    Frankly I think the TGS segment on it gave a much better impression of the glasses actual capabilities, interface and operation than Fry's did. I thought he rather skirted over the details. The only thing Fry showed us was that the 'shades' are detachable to make them look less like you're a blind person. Other than that, TGS made a better show of how they work and how you operate them. For example, did Fry actually show you the touchpad controller? I don't think he did...

I think he did, at least you saw it in his hand as he controlled it. Maybe it is down to presentation style, but Fry held my attention better than more hyper approach of the other two - but tbf TGS did a good job with it.
    Hmm.. catch up material IMO I"m afraid...

Well everything I guess is "catch up" as I rarely watch anything "live" thanks to Sky+, but I'm interested in seeing where Fry will take the show in future weeks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to complete my thoughts after watching the whole thing. I felt the final 10 mins or so were a bit flat (the bit with the water taxi). I'll reserve judgement until I've seen a few more, but at the moment I'd say it'd work better if the "challenge to build something" bit was dropped and the format of the first half was carried throughout.
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would probably enjoy this more than the gadget show - the presetners are really irritating and im not interested in there obsession with challenges.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    I didn't like it. I prefer The Gadget Show.

This show is more about Stephen and his celebrity pals than gadgets, which is fine, but not for me.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Richard Hammond do the change a car into one that could go on water (okay under water but still kind of the same idea) for his recent Bond car programme?

There seems to be too many repetitions of the same kind of ideas on tv at the moment, which is a shame.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    So next week's is all about food gadgets, isn't that an area that Heston has already coveted in great detail about a thousand time previously??
    When?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Plus from this and next weeks' preview, it seems rather too celebrity obsessed for it's own good. I don't honestly think Derren Brown is any better a judge of technology than any random person they could drag in off the street.
    I wonder if, apart from Fry, they are bringing in the C4 regulars like they do for other C4 shows.

There's a new quiz show on 1001 Things... and the majority of questions start "hi, i'm xxxx from C4's xxxxx....."