Yessss MAC Filtering I love it!

marlmanmarlman Posts: 661
Forum Member
✭✭
I live with my partner and have an extensive wireless network she has her own computer downstairs and I have all my computers and gadgets

But her pathetic waste of space of a son has come back home he is just a useless scrounger. He has been making my blood boil by using her computer to access the internet most of the time pushing her off.

I resorted to turning the router off when he come in which I know is using a big sledgehammer to crack a small nut.

So while they were both out today decided to sort it out by Googleing and actually reading the router manual. It was like a light bulb moment when I discovered MAC Filtering.

By just ticking a box against the MAC address of downstairs computer and saving it then poof no internet! When he gets fed up and goes out I untick the box and all back working

The beauty of it is I can do it on my iPhone and they have no idea what is happening. They will figure out that its me soon but I don't care.

I know I must sound like a mean spirited old git. But if you knew the circumstances I am sure you would agree with me!

Comments

• DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's your internet connection, you've every right to control who can and can't use the bandwidth you're paying for.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I'd just leave the bugger ticked and keep him off it altogether! :D
  • perishedchapterperishedchapter Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    You do realize that her son could be reading this very thread, don't you? :p Also, if her son is technically minded enough in terms of how wireless networks work etc and eventually realizes as you fear he will what you have done, he can use MAC address spoofing tools to make the MAC address appear different to your wireless router, thus evading your clever MAC address filtering scheme! :(
  • marlmanmarlman Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do realize that her son could be reading this very thread, don't you? :p Also, if her son is technically minded enough in terms of how wireless networks work etc and eventually realizes as you fear he will what you have done, he can use MAC address spoofing tools to make the MAC address appear different to your wireless router, thus evading your clever MAC address filtering scheme! :(

We are talking about someone who has a job doing his shoelaces here so no I'm not worried about any of the above!
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marlman wrote: »
    We are talking about someone who has a job doing his shoelaces here so no I'm not worried about any of the above!

You really are talking charmingly of your step son indeed..
  • perishedchapterperishedchapter Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    marlman wrote: »
    Being inept at one seemingly simple skill doesn't always necessarily mean that they will be inept at something more complex! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends who pays for the broadband really

If the op pays for it, then fair enough.

If the ops partner pays for it, or partially pays, and is happy to allow her son to use it - then the op has no business interfering, imo.