James McClean refuses to wear a poppy

Comments

• VideostarVideostar Posts: 14,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    good on him for refusing to wear one. football players shouldnt be forced into wearing a poppy.

I agree, heaven forbid a footballer thinking of anyone apart from themselves.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Videostar wrote: »
    I agree, heaven forbid a footballer thinking of anyone apart from themselves.

woooosh.....
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's almost spectacular from Videostar there.
  • RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who is he?
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Videostar? Spurs fan I think.
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    The more I think about it, the more I see his point of view. He's obviously made a stand not to join his teammates, and other players in displaying a poppy on his shirt, it should be personal choice.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,920
    Forum Member
    He's well within his rights to make a point of not wearing it. It's especially understandable if he's linked in some way to victims of the troubles in NI the past which I've heard mentioned. He's got his family members to think about (who could be very sensitive) as well as club duties.

Many NI sportsmen have no problem with it, since I assume they interpret the deeper meaning behind the poppy in a different way - or don't feel strongly about NI/GB issues - but fair play to those who feel strongly enough to make a stand. It's up to them to weigh it all up.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,839
    Forum Member
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    Why is this on a football thread.

Man doesn't wear a poppy not exactly news is it?

Probably but its a footballer so its probably headline news for the tabloids!

"Disgrace as Premiership star brings shame"

:rolleyes:
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Why would he want to remember the people who killed 14 innocent people in Derry, and 6 people on his very own estate? - totally understand why he refuses not to wear one.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uriah wrote: »
    I'm not surprised that you are the person bringing this up. You seem to revel in sensationalism adversely affecting a certain religious/national persuasion.

The Irish and British people have come a long, long way. Respect is at its very core. Personal choice is the right of every individual from both nations. It would appear that there are deep seated reasons for McClean's attitude. Bearing in mind that he chose to play for Ireland and labelled Catholics that say they want to play for N Ireland as 'liars', I thought most of us weren't that bothered about his choices.

Footballer chooses Ireland over NI. Footballer doesn't wear a poppy - BIG DEAL!! :mad:

What an outrageous accusation towards myself

Justify your comment. If you look at the posts I've made I entirely support his stance and abhor Poppy Mafioso behaviour
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    Why is this on a football thread.

Man doesn't wear a poppy not exactly news is it?

As I understand, he refused to wear the commemorative shirt for the match and had a different top on to everyone, rather than not wearing an actual poppy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    As I understand, he refused to wear the commemorative shirt for the match and had a different top on to everyone, rather than not wearing an actual poppy.

Yes, it is a bit more of a step than just not wearing a poppy to make clear that he will not wear such a specially prepared shirt. And shows clearly his conviction in the matter.

It should still have not been nearly the story that was made of it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think because he was the only footballer to choose not to wear a poppy he was alwaays going to leave himself open to getting a hammering in the media ad from the public. Whether or not you agree with McCleans decision does not matter you should respect his feelings. As others have already said it's James McClean's decision whether or not he wants to wear a poppy also there may be deep rooted personal/family reasons as to why he chose not to wear one and it's wrong to sit in judgment on him without knowing the full facts.;
  • UriahUriah Posts: 1,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    What an outrageous accusation towards myself

Justify your comment. If you look at the posts I've made I entirely support his stance and abhor Poppy Mafioso behaviour

Sincere apologies, Ambassador. I got you confused with another poster - I blame the beer myself :o

Again, sincerest apologies!
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Larry1971 wrote: »
    I think because he was the only footballer to choose not to wear a poppy he was alwaays going to leave himself open to getting a hammering in the media ad from the public. Whether or not you agree with McCleans decision does not matter you should respect his feelings. As others have already said it's James McClean's decision whether or not he wants to wear a poppy also there may be deep rooted personal/family reasons as to why he chose not to wear one and it's wrong to sit in judgment on him without knowing the full facts.;

One could argue its a political slogan and should be nowhere near a football field.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Carlos Tevez was wearing a poppy today so he mustn't have any grudges against the British military...
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    I see Carlos Tevez was wearing a poppy today so he mustn't have any grudges against the British military...

No. Just Gary Neville and Graeme Souness!
  • KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did he do the 2 minutes silence? Not worried too much about the Poppy if he has been raised that way, if he did the silence he has paid his respects for me (not for "me", but in my opinion).
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    RickWhite wrote: »
    Who is he?

Ok,

1) If you don't know who he is, you could've googled to find this out, but instead you post this clearly looking for argument.

Or 2) You do know who he is, but still, are looking for an argument
  • Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Interestingly, during the Ireland vs South Africa rugby match coverage on BBC2 this evening, Keith Wood wore one but Brian O'Driscoll opted not to.

Is there any particular reason Brian O`Driscoll should be wearing a poppy?
  • mel1213mel1213 Posts: 8,642
    Forum Member
    Wearing a poppy is a personal choice and he exercised his right to request a shirt without one. There's nothing wrong with that because he's doing what he believes is right which IMHO is better than just silently disagreeing with wearing the shirt with the poppy on but keeping quiet for the sake of an easy life.

I don't wear a poppy, mainly because I am terrible about losing or mangling them when I put them on my jacket - not to mention leaving it on one jacket and then wearing a different one - but does that mean I'm a terrible person who doesn't stop to think about what the poppy symbolises? No it doesn't - not wearing the symbol doesn't mean you disregard it, it just means your comfortable not needing to parade a poppy on your jacket in order to "prove" you give a damn.
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    Also, I think it's good that some people choose not to wear one,

Because if everyone wears one because they feel that they have to, then what is the point?!?!?!

It's a bit like the kick-it-out t-shirts
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My view is that, firstly, he's entirely within his rights to refuse to support the poppy appeal and I don't criticise that decision. But at the same time I do think that it's sad/ unfortunate/ not a good thing that he feels unable to wear a poppy and speaks to wider issues between the UK and Ireland that I think many people hoped we were moving beyond.
  • rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    So what if he didn't wear a poppy? Embroidering poppies onto the shirts of footballers is yet another example of keeping up with the poppy purists who search every year to make an example of someone/something with their 'omg dey arnt werin poppies how dey vey!!11' scheme. :yawn:

Also, I wonder how many of the people attacking him are actually wearing poppies themselves? :rolleyes:
  • The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »
    My view is that, firstly, he's entirely within his rights to refuse to support the poppy appeal and I don't criticise that decision. But at the same time I do think that it's sad/ unfortunate/ not a good thing that he feels unable to wear a poppy and speaks to wider issues between the UK and Ireland that I think many people hoped we were moving beyond.

Why should he feel compelled to wear a poppy, he identifies as an Irish Nationalist and plays for the Republic of Ireland? People always say it shows disrespect for those who died in WW2, but it also commemorates those killed in Britain's colonial wars. Personally, I would quite happily donate to veterans of WW2, and have done so in the past, as these people deserve all the praise available but I never have and won't wear a poppy that commemorates Britain's colonial past.