B*Witched ..... OMG!! Remember Them?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,452
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just saw some music channel on tv were showing a collection of songs from B*Witched.
Vest La Vie, Blame It On The Weatherman, Rollercoaster and more.
The girls had 4 UK number ones in a row and showed such promise.
Where did it all go wrong for them? As far as I was aware they were set for even bigger things and then suddenly they vanished!!!

Would you like them back?
Did you have a fave song?
What actually happened to them?
What are your memories of the Irish four piece??

Discuss :)

Comments

• rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't they go off to America then kind of fail on return.

Their comeback was Jesse Hold On I think which wasn't the greatest.

I saw them perform (The two sisters (Adele and Keavy I think)) at my graduation ball back in 2010, they performed some new songs (which weren't well received) inbetween Rollercoaster, Blame it on the Weatherman and C'est La Vie (twice) it was awesome! Soooo cheesey but brilliant.
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked B*Witched :)
    They had some great pop tunes. "Blame It On The Weatherman" was their best imo, I have it on my ipod "the rain goes onnnn!" haha

They lost it a bit with their second album in 1999/2000. They launched it with a naff first single "Jesse Hold On" which was, even for them, a bit too contrived for my liking. I think that was their first single not to reach No.1? And they were just never able to recover after that.

How could they have ever topped "some people say I look like me da!" You might as well give up and go home after that level of lyrical genius :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such a shame they didn't stick around for longer... It was a pretty short career.

I remember an album track called "Like A Rose" .. Actually a pretty good song at the time :]
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked them, I got their album when I was about 9. And it's still on my iPod. :o

I like C'est La Vie, Blame It On The Weatherman, and Rollercoaster, and I don't mind Rev It Up either.

They came back a couple of years ago didn't they, with a different name?

Actually, I just looked on Wiki - they came back known as 'The Barbarellas', but the single/album did really badly. It also says on Wiki that "On 18 October 2012, it was announced that the original members of B*Witched would reunite for an ITV2 series along with other pop groups of their time, including Liberty X, Five and Atomic Kitten".

I liked Edele and Keavy, the sisters, best at the time. (As an aside, they are also the sisters of Shane Lynch from Boyzone).
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smithy1204 wrote: »
    I liked Edele and Keavy, the sisters, best at the time. (As an aside, they are also the sisters of Shane Lynch from Boyzone).

I remember the charts being overrun at one point by the Lynch family - they had another two sisters, if I remember rightly, who were in a duo and a girl group respectively (can't recall band names or singles, I think they were both pretty short-lived).
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to like them when i was 8.

Does anyone remember their song I Shall be There or is it just me? It's pweedy :) .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the charts being overrun at one point by the Lynch family - they had another two sisters, if I remember rightly, who were in a duo and a girl group respectively (can't recall band names or singles, I think they were both pretty short-lived).

this is mortifying but the other group was Buffalo G. They had a song called Really Saying Something :|
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 21 now and whenever they come on when out everyone gets up to do the Irish Jig :D . They had some great pop tunes and were fun and infectious shame they didn't last longer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Musick1 wrote: »
    this is mortifying but the other group was Buffalo G. They had a song called Really Saying Something :|

That was them! I knew the song was a Bananarama cover.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can still see them in their new group called Barbarella. They are set to storm 2013
  • royllsroyceroyllsroyce Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,857
    Forum Member
    As much as I protest at being a music snob, I have to say this is one of those times when confinement to the vault of never to be heard again should apply!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These were connected with bwitched too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KehoHRlPd9Y

FAB were the other band I was thinking of, with another sister Tara (?) in.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I still have a copy of their first album on cassette :o I loved C'est La Vie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Musick1 wrote: »
    Would you like them back?
    Did you have a fave song?
    What actually happened to them?
    What are your memories of the Irish four piece??

Discuss :)

I once saw them huddled round a table in Burger King at a services stop near Oxford. They didn't seem to be enjoying their food.

That's as far as my memories go:D
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my best friends has played with them.
  • 2Legit2Quit2Legit2Quit Posts: 4,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bloke and I don't mind admitting I loved To You I Belong. :)

http://youtu.be/uSZ02Rq8hnY
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Blame it on the Weatherman. Probably one of my all time favourite songs. :)

Used to love these girls.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,908
    Forum Member
    Yes. I loved them when I was 7. :o
  • ItsTimmyTimeItsTimmyTime Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first concert! I remember slowly realising as the concert progressed that I was one of the few boys there... :o

I think they went too serious with their second album Awake & Breathe. Looking back at it I can appreciate it as an adult, but they had marketed themselves as fun bubblegum pop with album one, and then songs like "Jesse Hold On" (About a woman running from a marriage), "I Shall Be There", "Leaves", "Are You a Ghost?", "In the Fields Where We Lay", and so on were too mature for their audience.

Sophomore slump hit them hard. They should have had an album full of "Jump Down"s with fun lyrics like "the cow jumped over the moon" and "you ran away with my spoon".

EDIT: Looking back, "To You I Belong" and "Blame it on the Weatherman" were pretty mature too... but they set up a fanbase of kids who would pretty much buy anything they released with "C'est La Vie" and "Rollercoaster".
  • agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member

Phew, I'm not the only one who likes that song.

:o:o:o
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

add another 'out of target audience' bloke to that one! :eek:

yep i liked that track... :o
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I brought their first album on cassette too. The lead singer had a really nice voice but I wish the others had sung more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly off topic but why haven't we seen a member on big brother, im a celeb etc. yet....??

I would've thought we would've heard from one by now.

Where are they now?? =/
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked B*Witched at the time. Dare I say, they're even a bit underrated imo :o They released some really good ballads. I still love 'To You I Belong'.

Their second album was a bit odd though.

One of the music channels has been showing a lot of their songs recently.

Even though it was such a basic song, I used to quite like 'We Four Girls'.