ITV Player now blocked for ad-blocking users

Comments

• TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the unlikely event that IT V shows something I want to watch, I suppose I'll just have pop through to the kitchen and make a cup of coffee when the adverts appear.

"This is ITV!... Move along, nothing to see here!"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello,

Tonight my stepmum reported she couldn't watch a programme and had the 'ad blocking detected' message. However I looked into it, and the problem existed in both Internet Explorer and Firefox (without Ad Block Plus or similar installed)

Is there a known reason for the problem, beyond the website being a pile of sh*te?
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    With Kaspersky's Banner blocker turned on, there is no problem viewing ITV Player (less the ads). I can't stand having to wait a minute or more before a programme starts, life's too short - so I never ever watch TV ads or click on internet ads of any kind.

I record commercial channels (including Sky's non-premiums) on a PVR and start watching after about 15 minutes so I can skip through all ads. I do leave the banner blocker turned off for normal browsing (like DS) though, as I can just ignore the ads - it's being forced to play an ad and wait, that annoys me, and I won't have it.

If ITV find a way to block me when using Kaspersky to block the ads, I will simply stop using ITV Player. Easy as that.

The world is changing, and if they don't like this, they need to find another business model that works.
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    I use SR Iron browser (it's Google Chrome without snooping) with an adblocker and ITV player works for me. However, like others, other than anything with Harry Hill in it there's nothing on ITV I like!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care much for ITV, but I see their point, however if there's a technical reason for using an adblocker, then this need to be reported somewhere. If it's just to block the ads for the sake of blocking ads then ITV are right.

I use flashblocker which allows me to only run the flash apps that I need to run, simply because some sites have so much flash running it renders my laptop useless. If ITV are doing this to you, then they need to know so they can fix it and find a better way to present their ads to you.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    mikeydb wrote: »
    I don't care much for ITV, but I see their point, however if there's a technical reason for using an adblocker, then this need to be reported somewhere. If it's just to block the ads for the sake of blocking ads then ITV are right.

I use flashblocker which allows me to only run the flash apps that I need to run, simply because some sites have so much flash running it renders my laptop useless. If ITV are doing this to you, then they need to know so they can fix it and find a better way to present their ads to you.

I just can't stand adverts. I don't watch them.
  • jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Working fine here, Adblock on Chrome. http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/6384/itvc.jpg Shame there's bugger all worth watching on ITV.
  • bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good move by ITV,its about time freeloaders were shown the door, The price of the viewing experience is watching the advert.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    bingbong wrote: »
    Good move by ITV,its about time freeloaders were shown the door, The price of the viewing experience is watching the advert.
    Not if you have a PVR and timeslip it, nope. And not even if you don't have a PVR (just leave the room to make a cuppa/go to the loo/ whatever!). So they can't force you to watch their broadcast ads and I don't see why they should force you to watch their online ads.

So if I can't skip 'em, I move on and do something else instead. Clickable ads (that let you skip the video) would be less intrusive and more acceptable.
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    I tried it to see, I have the latest version of Firefox and Adblock plus and it seems to work ok, only tried one programme which was the most recent Corrie episode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    Ads pay for the shows,who the hell do you think makes them?the TV pixies.Watch or don't watch but please don't whine about it.You are probably the same ones that moan about the TV licence
    as well,OMG.
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mersey70 wrote: »
    I tried it to see, I have the latest version of Firefox and Adblock plus and it seems
    to work ok, only tried one programme which was the most recent Corrie episode.
    Same here, although I'm using SeaMonkey 2 with the same AdBlock Plus extension.

ITV Player on SeaMonkey 2 with AdBlock Plus enabled - screengrab.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've found that, if I start the stream with ABP turned off, then turn it on during the first ad, it skips the second ad, then skips all the others.

K
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, now seems to work straight off with FF+ABP. Have ITV dropped the test?

K
  • digimon900digimon900 Posts: 4,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am using Safari 5.1.2 on mac osx Snow leopard, please could someone tell me how to sort the problem out? I have no idea what ad blocking software is and I cant find any on my computer!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Using Firefox 8 and Adblock plus 2.0.1, started to play "Without You" on ITV Player worked ok for the time I watched it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Sorry to bump this.

My ITV signal seems to have gone down and I was hoping to watch ITV Player on my Media Centre PC.

I keep getting an error saying that I am using Ad-Blocking software (I am not) and it won't play. I have used Chrome and IE and the same issue with each. As it is a HTPC I don't use it for browsing so each browser is setup as "out of the box"

I can watch on other computers on the home network so it is an issue specific to my HTPC. As it stands though I can't watch ITV in any way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is, it seems that the cookie or whatever they put on your pc when you first get the message is a difficult thing to shift! I logged on with a US IP address and then when it said the video couldnt be found I re-connected to Talk Talk and it worked fine!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    digimon900 wrote: »
    It is, it seems that the cookie or whatever they put on your pc when you first get the message is a difficult thing to shift! I logged on with a US IP address and then when it said the video couldnt be found I re-connected to Talk Talk and it worked fine!!!

Edit: Works fine with Firefox, but Safari just wont work or you have to keep clearing the cache and cookies.
  • s.castles.castle Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Deleted
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    Using Firefox 8 and Adblock plus 2.0.1, started to play "Without You" on ITV Player worked ok for the time I watched it!
    Same here, it works fine on Firefox with ABP enabled.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from the small obstacle of most of ITV's output being rubbish, is there any mileage in ITV providing a paid-for web service which omits adverts? It might (the "might" bit is heavily underlined) make their output more watchable?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there have been no adverts during the soaps in itv-player so I guess it's a new strategy to force advertisers to believe that people watch their commercials. I love the commercials myself simply because I am not in the UK, but I cant buy anything because they are not marketing to overseas audiences!
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Iron and got chrome block, which don't block adverts as such, but block the tracking, ITV player works for me, well kind off.

I have not used ITV player for months and decided to see if it was any better. Watched something about demolition, but every time the adverts finished the video just juddered, I had to pause and unpause to get it working.

so ITV Player is still naff, naff on the PS3 and naff on the computer, a waste of space, um, just like ITV really
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    Apart from the small obstacle of most of ITV's output being rubbish, is there any mileage in ITV providing a paid-for web service which omits adverts? It might (the "might" bit is heavily underlined) make their output more watchable?
    ITV is heading towards a pay TV strategy although Adam Crozier keeps going on about how ITV1, ITV's SD digital channels, basic ITV Player and so forth will remain advertising supported. My take on it is that in five years, I'll believe it when I see it.