Tidying up WIN 7

killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,906
Forum Member
I am trying to free up some space on boot drive ('only' have 39GB).

THe windows directory is 18GB of which 10GB is WinSXS and 3GB Installer is there anyway I can reduce this.

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't mess with that stuff until you have tried Disk Cleanup and tools like Ccleaner first.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    Follow Stigs suggestions first, followed by...

Disable Hibernation
    Disable System Protection
    Move "Documents" to another drive and redirect to that
    Uninstall any apps that are not required
    Put any new installs on a different drive

To be honest the volume isn't really large enough to begin with. Minimum I would recommend would for a Win7 OS drive is 80gb. Ideally you want 120gb or more.
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,906
    Forum Member
    I have run CCleaner all ready, I'm down to under 1GB free at the moment, the rest of the space seems to be taken up by system files and the recovery files.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do mean your boot drive is only 39GB in size? Thats too small.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WINSXS is a folder thats bigger than it appears and messing with it will cause a lot of problems. so ignore it from the size of any volume as it's actual size is probably 5-10% of what it says generally
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Do mean your boot drive is only 39GB in size? Thats too small.

I'd say you can get away with that size as long as everything else is installed on another drive.
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,906
    Forum Member
    It was fine originally and I would swear that I had at least 10GB free after the installation.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    killjoy wrote: »
    It was fine originally and I would swear that I had at least 10GB free after the installation.

It's a common mistake. You can install Windows 7 in only 15-20GB but you will soon live to regret it. I'd say from experience that 60GB is a realistic minimum size, and then you need to be really careful what you install and how.