Should Eleven Have a Dramatic Emotional Regeneration?

dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,074
Forum Member
Should Elevens Regeneration Really tug at the audience heartstrings this time, The Ninth Doctor Went out in a Blaze of Glory The Tenth was bitter-sweet as he knew it was coming but Should Elevens be Very Emotional with it being unexpected and dying around Clara Similar to Tom Bakers exit

I would like to see more raw emotion in Doctor who episodes tbh they seem to be lacking it recently

Any thoughts?

Comments

• AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should Elevens Regeneration Really tug at the audience heartstrings this time, The Ninth Doctor Went out in a Blaze of Glory The Tenth was bitter-sweet as he knew it was coming but Should Elevens be Very Emotional with it being unexpected and dying around Clara Similar to Tom Bakers exit

I would like to see more raw emotion in Doctor who episodes tbh they seem to be lacking it recently

Any thoughts?

It's always traumatic when the Doctor regenerates. So yes, I would like to see a lot of raw emotion as Doctor 11 says his last. I want to cry on Christmas Day. :cry:
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two people with the means to have seen an early cut say that it is heart breaking (but dignified) indeed.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emotional, but not over-the-top "I don't want to go" nonsense.
    The regeneration should have a tone which is similar to the tone in this scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BUumw7f8EQ
    That would be nice :)
  • cuccircuccir Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    I wasn't keen on Tennant's regeneration to be honest - it felt dragged out, and it felt that they had done the 'Ten with all his companions' bit in The Stolen Earth/Journey's End. It just seemed to repeat old ground.

I'd like it to be a shock - a mid-point in the episode perhaps so we get a tease of what Capaldi's Doctor will be like.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want emotional, but I also want stiff-upper-lip. No "I don't want to go" stuff. You can only do that sort of thing once.

I wonder if The Eleventh Hour would be revisited somehow, in essence at least?

Another plug for this track as potential regeneration music. :)
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    It will be emotional anyways but I'd prefer something akin to Nine's rather than Ten's though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It deffinitelly needs to be sth creative. I'd personally like hallucinations before and/or amnesia after regeneration. It would be interesting.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The regeneration should have a tone which is similar to the tone in this scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BUumw7f8EQ

He does old so bloody well.
  • DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should Elevens Regeneration Really tug at the audience heartstrings this time,

No.

This is Dr Who, not Eastenders or Twilight.
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The regeneration
    should have a tone which is similar to the tone in this scene:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BUumw7f8EQ

^^^This. I'm a bit bored with all these O.T.T. explodey-wodey, bursts of energy, type of regeneration sequences now!

I'd like to see a slower lie-down regeneration - a wide shot of him in the arms of a teary eyed Clara on the TARDIS
    floor near the console, as he delivers his final speech as 11, in a similar tone to that goodbye scene with Amelia.
    No crying and bawling, just teary eyed ... a bit like I was watching that just then!

The camera slowly moves to The Doctor's face. He closes his eyes, and subtle yellow wisps of regeneration
    energy start flowing slowly upwards from his face and hands, as his metamorphisis starts to take effect . . .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    He should go with as little fuss as possible. He's British (kind of) so avoid any emotion of any kind and keep the British end up don't you know old bean! Basically the Doctor should catch the bubonic plague and claim it's nothing but a sniffle. Then he'll sneeze violently and just reappear as Peter Capaldi. "Well, thats better, I feel fine now. Better call my tailor."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Don't want him to go. In denial a bit I think. Tennant's departure didn't upset me as I imagined it would. Let's see if Smith's does. :)
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good call!

On a side note. I an growing to hate the Series 7 finale more and more for what its done to Who folklore and legend. When he speaks of stealing the Tardis it used to be so evocative- almost impossible to imagine such a pivotal moment. Something that should never be seen. Now when he says that all I can picture is Clara looking pleased with herself and super sassy saying 'Take that one!'. Sigh. Ruined. Forever. When will people learn less is sometimes more?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    On a side note. I an growing to hate the Series 7 finale ........

The series finales started to go downhill once RTD had the Daleks swooping around buildings like they were starlings. When I watch them now, all I can picture is a couple of Daleks building a nest in a tree and collecting worms for some baby ones.

That and the fact that the world/universe/multi-verse is/will be destroyed for the umpteenth time. Though I think that at least this time that won't be the case. Maybe. Unless the Doctor needs to be saved so that the universe is saved or something. Bloody universe. Really is pathetic that it needs saving all the time. Grow up universe!
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When will people learn less is sometimes more?

Depends on the situation ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, a fairly quick but totally unexpected regeneration from the Doctors perspective. Something where we the viewer knows is about to come but happens quite suddenly and unexpectedly for the Doctor while the Doctor is pretty much in the middle of doing or planning something.
  • PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want it to break my heart.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Depends on the situation ;)

I walked slap bang into that one! :D Ouch!
  • dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,074
    Forum Member
    last words should be Regenerations are cool:D
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    It's a regeneration, the Doctor is dying, of course it's going to be emotional.

Don't forget it seems he's been in this body longest of all his incarnations, so he might well be attached to it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it depends on what you imagine under emotional. I'd love it to be emotionalthe way 5's or 9's regeneration's went then I'd be all for it, if you mean something aking to 10's then I'm not so keen.

I don't think it should be something big, I know he's known for all the big speeches etc., but what made me so sold on Matt's Doctor were actually the smaller sort of quite moments, where he IMO shines the most, so if the regeneration is such a moment I'd be totally cool with it.
  • dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,074
    Forum Member
    Well, it depends on what you imagine under emotional. I'd love it to be emotionalthe way 5's or 9's regeneration's went then I'd be all for it, if you mean something aking to 10's then I'm not so keen.

I don't think it should be something big, I know he's known for all the big speeches etc., but what made me so sold on Matt's Doctor were actually the smaller sort of quite moments, where he IMO shines the most, so if the regeneration is such a moment I'd be totally cool with it.

i was thinking along the lines of tom bakers death
  • Philip_LambPhilip_Lamb Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    I just want him to have a decent meaningful death, preferably not from yet another form of invidinle radiation
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i was thinking along the lines of tom bakers death
    You mean the 4th Doctor's death, Tom is still with us!;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dogmatix wrote: »
    No.

This is Dr Who, not Eastenders or Twilight.
    Sorry, which messed-up edit of Doctor Who have you been watching where heartstring tugging isn't on the menu?! This is a programme where the cybermen are presented as villains - emotional constipation is the exact opposite of anything the Doctor values.