FFS my Nexus 7 has a mind of its own !!!

JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Slowly losing the will to not throw it at a wall!

I can be using it perfectly fine then suddenly it will start clicking on things left right and centre!

I have to switch it off and on for it to work again, but even that is a nightmare because it doesn't let me click the off button!

Help!

Comments

• !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be moisture on the screen, but otherwise it's pretty simple: it's faulty.

Google support are excellent. Give them a call.
  • thespooksterthespookster Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    I presume this is the new version of Nexus 7 you have. How did you get on before release!

Just Google for 'nexus 7 phantom' to read the many tales of phantom clicks and unresponsive screen that is plaguing this tablet.

I was going to buy one when it's released but think I'll wait until the problem is fixed as it may be a hardware issue rather than a software issue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    I have the same problem sometimes,I find just switching the screen off then on again fixes it.
  • WickedPlansWickedPlans Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Does it have an option to calibrate the screen?
    I had a similar problem with my Archos and the calibration fixed it.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I presume this is the new version of Nexus 7 you have.

It can happen to any screen if faulty so as likely the old one.
    Capacitive screens can misdetect for many a reason, bad sensitivity calibration being a main one.
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine does that, it can be because the screen is dirty.

Apparently there is an update to android out now (if you've not got it yet, you will) that is meant to fix touchscreen issues, but I'm unsure whether that was just for the 2013 model.

Overall, although the Nexus 7 is a cheap tablet and has decent specs for the money, I don't actually find it to be a very nice thing to use. It's badly built, creaky and buggy, it often freezes or slows down for no apparent reason, and thats even after 4.3 and a factory reset.

I actually use my Chromebook more for browsing now as it is significantly nicer to use in all scenarios other than watching videos, playing games or reading in bed.

To be honest I'm almost questioning the need to have it now, between my Chromebook and phone they do everything I require, I think the reason I keep the N7 is because a bigger screen is still nicer and the battery life on the N4 sucks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Overall, although the Nexus 7 is a cheap tablet and has decent specs for the money, I don't actually find it to be a very nice thing to use. It's badly built, creaky and buggy, it often freezes or slows down for no apparent reason, and thats even after 4.3 and a factory reset.

Wow, I've not found that at all! Mine's still running like a champ, despite a metric crapton of games and stuff being installed. I just clear out the cache every so often and make sure I remove stuff I don't use. Other than that, I can't imagine being without it. It goes with me everywhere. This bug worries me, and Google ought to sort it out, but other than that I would definitely buy another nexus 7 (or 10 maybe next time) ahead of any other tablet.
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kal_El wrote: »
    Wow, I've not found that at all! Mine's still running like a champ, despite a metric crapton of games and stuff being installed. I just clear out the cache every so often and make sure I remove stuff I don't use. Other than that, I can't imagine being without it. It goes with me everywhere. This bug worries me, and Google ought to sort it out, but other than that I would definitely buy another nexus 7 (or 10 maybe next time) ahead of any other tablet.

I've had two Nexus 7s and both were the same.

Don't get me wrong, they are decent devices, but the sluggishness is annoying, as is the fact its seemingly impossible to type on without it entering random characters here and there.

iPads get slagged off, but overall they are a nice experience, and I say that has a fully qualified google **** :D I hope the new one is better, but even that one seems to be full of bugs. If I get a new tablet now I might even look at the new Retina iPad Mini when it comes out instead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I've had two Nexus 7s and both were the same.

Don't get me wrong, they are decent devices, but the sluggishness is annoying, as is the fact its seemingly impossible to type on without it entering random characters here and there.

iPads get slagged off, but overall they are a nice experience, and I say that has a fully qualified google **** :D I hope the new one is better, but even that one seems to be full of bugs. If I get a new tablet now I might even look at the new Retina iPad Mini when it comes out instead.

Yeah we have two as well. One for me, and my daughter has one.

The only time I notice anything resembling sluggishness is on first boot. I have to give it a few moments to gather itself, but after that it's fine, no problems. I have noticed the random character input when typing though, but only when using Firefox. In fact Firefox on tablet has been surprisingly not great all round so I just removed it and use Chrome exclusively now.