Which Sitcom Classic Would You Like to Revive?

AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In the light of the news that ITV are reviving Birds of a Feather, what sitcoms would you like to see return?

My idea would be a sequel to The Good Life. With Tom and Jerry now died, Barbara and Margot have decided to live together. With Margot's ever present snobbery and Barbara's care free attitude, their personalities clash and lead to all sorts of mishaps and charades. Barbara has long since sold her much loved home and while she no longer is self reliant on everything from peas to jeans, she finds it hard to totally accept a modern lifestyle. Her little plot at the bottom of Margots garden is over-run with baffling growths, while councillor Leadbetter is enjoying her rise from president of the music society to potential president of the local Conservative Party. The sitcom would be called "The Good and the 'Better"

Failing that I would like to see a couple of new Vicar of Dibley episodes.

Comments

• culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keeping Mum with the brilliant Stephanie Cole (surely she can do better than Coronation Street) and Mrs Merton And Malcolm. Maybe not generally accepted as classics but in my mind they should be. No chance of either of them being revived though:(
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dad's Army but for fairly obvious reasons that would be impossible
  • aquasplash3aquasplash3 Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Royle Family as a series rather than just Christmas specials.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I was working for a television network, I'd say no to reviving any old sitcoms.
  • Dr.  OtterblandDr. Otterbland Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nine-Nine wrote: »
    If I was working for a television network, I'd say no to reviving any old sitcoms.

Yep, a sure sign of desperation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, a sure sign of desperation.

You'd have thought ITV would have learned from their latest comedy out-put. In fact perhaps they thought: "Hey, these new sitcoms aren't working for us, how about an old one instead." :D
  • VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a little late now but I would have loved them to have done a series of 'Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads' when Terry, Bob, and Thelma were all in their early fifties.

Terry would have matured a bit, Thelma would (one hopes) have softened a bit, and Bob would have relaxed a bit.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vetinari wrote: »
    It's a little late now but I would have loved them to have done a series of 'Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads' when Terry, Bob, and Thelma were all in their early fifties.

Terry would have matured a bit, Thelma would (one hopes) have softened a bit, and Bob would have relaxed a bit.
    Thus removing all the sources of comedy that were present in the original? The answer to "Whatever happened..." would be "they got old and boring". :D

That's like saying you wanted One Foot in the Grave where Victor had mellowed and took everything as it came, or The Young Ones where they had all grown up, calmed down, got jobs, had kids, shouldered their responsibilities, played golf a lot and become less anarchistic. :p
  • merrybiscuitmerrybiscuit Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brittas empire, i feel it could work.

Does anyone know how it ended?
  • chimp123chimp123 Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    I would like to see Love Thy Neighbour or To The Manor Born being brought back
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    I would like to have seen Men Behaving Badly come back when they hit 40. Obviously that has long passed. Perhaps they could revive it with them hitting 50!
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,446
    Forum Member
    I would love to see, Till Death Us Do Part.
    Ian.
    Forum Member
    I would like to see Open All Hours revived
    Forum Member
    I would also like to revive

Dinnerladies
    Father Ted
    Some Mothers do 'ave 'em
    The Thin Blue Line
    Butterflies
    Just Good Friends
    2 Point 4 Children
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    Bottom.

It's time Ade Edmondson stopped driving around the Yorkshire Moors pointing at walls and started making comedy again.
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vetinari wrote: »

It would probably work better now with them as pensioners, James Bolams character still curmudgeonly, growing old disgracefully and beautifully non PC.

However it will never happen as Bolam and Bewes haven't spoken for decades, anyone recall the Ant and Dec remake?
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brittas empire, i feel it could work.

Does anyone know how it ended?

It couldn't work, unfortunately. The original writers left towards the end of the run (along with Laura) and the new writers ended the show with Gordon waking up on a train to his interview for the job. Everything that had happened throughout all the series' was supposed to be a dream, and all the leisure centre staff were actually just passengers on the train. It was awful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chimp123 wrote: »
    I would also like to revive

Dinnerladies
    Father Ted
    Some Mothers do 'ave 'em
    The Thin Blue Line
    Butterflies
    Just Good Friends
    2 Point 4 Children

Who else could play Father Ted, though? It couldn't work. Sadly, the wonderful 2point4 Children also wouldn't work without Ben (Gary Olsen died in his 40s).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me, I'd like a one-off Christmas special of Goodnight, Sweetheart. The time portal could reopen, or possibly Ron could find a way back again. But who to play the wives...?
  • SleepPixieSleepPixie Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Anyone remember 'Duty Free'? I'm not sure how many series it ran for....classical farce style...but watchable all the same (currently on repeat, on ITV3). The 4 main actors were all very good. I wonder if a sequel would work..or a revival with new actors?

Also: does anyone remember 'Surgical Spirit'? or 'Dear John'? (I'm showing my age, now). And, I quite liked 'The Liver Birds' back in the day - wonder how that one would work nowadays..
  • munkyfellovermunkyfellover Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    It couldn't work, unfortunately. The original writers left towards the end of the run (along with Laura) and the new writers ended the show with Gordon waking up on a train to his interview for the job. Everything that had happened throughout all the series' was supposed to be a dream, and all the leisure centre staff were actually just passengers on the train. It was awful.
    Oh good grief, what a shame.
    SleepPixie wrote: »
    Anyone remember 'Duty Free'? I'm not sure how many series it ran for....classical farce style...but watchable all the same (currently on repeat, on ITV3). The 4 main actors were all very good. I wonder if a sequel would work..or a revival with new actors?

Also: does anyone remember 'Surgical Spirit'? or 'Dear John'? (I'm showing my age, now). And, I quite liked 'The Liver Birds' back in the day - wonder how that one would work nowadays..
    LOVED Duty Free.

The Good Life would be mine, however they decided to do it.
  • Pippa2012Pippa2012 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having Birds of a Feather revived is just excellent and was and would be always top of my list.I wonder will it be 2013 before we see it though.
  • widgerwidger Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one sitcom that I would love to see revived is Blackadder but I know that it just wouldn't work as the actors are all too old and too much time has passed.

I would definitely revive Pulling as it was a huge mistake by the BBC commissioning editor to cancel such a brilliant comedy series.

I wonder if Rising Damp would work with new actors.
  • g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mind Your Language
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    widger wrote: »
    The one sitcom that I would love to see revived is Blackadder but I know that it just wouldn't work as the actors are all too old and too much time has passed.

I would definitely revive Pulling as it was a huge mistake by the BBC commissioning editor to cancel such a brilliant comedy series.

I wonder if Rising Damp would work with new actors.

I would have said 'Blackadder' had it not been for the disappointing 'Blackadder Back and Forth' and the appalling nature of Ben Elton's recent attempts at comedy writing.