Do employers have to let you go to interviews?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,478
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi, just wondering if anyone can settle an argument!

Does a current employer have to let you go to job interviews with prospective new employers or is it up to the individual company?

The person in question is still in his 6 month probation period in a new job but isnt happy there and needs time off to hopefully get anew job. Will he have to take some unpaid leave or is his current employer legally obliged to let him go for interviews?

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    err no! the only time you can have time off for interviews is when you are being made redundant ... else its the good old stomach upset/ cold/ dentist appointment excuse NEVER EVER let an employer know that you are actively looking for a job, they will sack you if you are on probationary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I am aware, employers are under no legal obligation to let their employees take time off for interviews - why would they be?? You'd have to use up one of your holidays or go unpaid or whatever.
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, why on earth would your current employer, who has paid money and spent time employing you, be obligated to give you time off to go for interviews for other jobs? :eek:
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    sleepydove wrote:
    As far as I am aware, employers are under no legal obligation to let their employees take time off for interviews - why would they be?? You'd have to use up one of your holidays or go unpaid or whatever.

Or go after or before work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats what I suspected.Basically the HR department of his work told him to tell his line manager whenever he had an interview and that they couldnt refuse him or sack him if he went for interviews but I thought this sounded strange.
    Thanks for the help!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a bizarre question!
  • LuxxyLuxxy Posts: 18,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only time an employer will let you go off to attend interviews during work time is if you were going through a redundancy situation.
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a funny one as I've heard that "you can have time off for interviews" claim loads and loads of times. In fact if you look around, do a bit of Googling and some employers do actually have it in their employment contracts you can have time off for interviews. Nothing to do with redundancy.

Don't know where it originated from but the OPs question isn't daft, as I say I've heard this idea lots and lots of times in the past. Must be some sort of urban myth.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    I work for the NHS and we are supposed to let our line manager know even if we are considering looking for another job! I don't think anyone does though!

Personally I haven't worked for a single company that would have happily given me time off for an interview. I would use the "hospital appointment" excuse and ask for holiday or unpaid time for an interview. It would feel very wrong to be paid by one company to try and get a job with another.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DavidT wrote:
    Its a funny one as I've heard that "you can have time off for interviews" claim loads and loads of times. In fact if you look around, do a bit of Googling and some employers do actually have it in their employment contracts you can have time off for interviews. Nothing to do with redundancy.

Don't know where it originated from but the OPs question isn't daft, as I say I've heard this idea lots and lots of times in the past. Must be some sort of urban myth.

These companies obviously have money to burn...

It's bad enough dealing with staff excess sickness absence, but that's for another thread!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Well I work for an organisation that lets you have time off for interviews! The more transparent it is that you're looking elsewhere, the more they should be fighting to keep you (if you're any good).
  • rugbynutrugbynut Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    I cant believe people would even have the gaul to say "can I have time off for a job interview."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luxxy wrote:
    The only time an employer will let you go off to attend interviews during work time is if you were going through a redundancy situation.

...but they are not obliged to unless you will have completed two year's service by the qualifying termination date. And even then, the only requirement is to pay up to 2/5ths of week's pay for the entire notice period.
  • fi~fi~ Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    if your on a temp contract then some employers will let you have time off for interviews, but it might be unpaid
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allinuse wrote:
    ...but they are not obliged to unless you will have completed two year's service by the qualifying termination date. And even then, the only requirement is to pay up to 2/5ths of week's pay for the entire notice period.

Yes quite, I knew there was a bit more too it, redundancy is not my forte thankfully! :D